Opinion of Height/Weight Requirements for Public Officials
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:36:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Height/Weight Requirements for Public Officials
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of Height/Weight Requirements for Public Officials  (Read 1309 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2008, 09:49:47 PM »

This was something I was discussing with someone the other day.  Years ago, a lot of places had certain requirements on height and weight to be a police officer or fire fighter due to the physical exertion of the job.  Many were faced with lawsuits saying it discriminated against women and shorter races of people and removed them.  Do you think that they have a place or no?  Personally, I think its a good idea, if I'm trapped in a burning building, I don't want a 5'1 women trying to lift my fat ass out.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 09:51:26 PM »

No, but they should make sure the people they hire are able to do their job properly.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 09:53:17 PM »

No, but they should make sure the people they hire are able to do their job properly.
But don't you think that in order to do their job properly, which may including saving people, they should have to be physically fit (weight requirement) and large enough (height requirement)?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:55:29 PM »

But don't you think that in order to do their job properly, which may including saving people, they should have to be physically fit (weight requirement) and large enough (height requirement)?

Weight and height don't always factor in to to jobs such as fire and police work. If they are small enough but can do the job (be able to lift a certain amount, etc.) why should they be stopped from having the job even if they are smaller?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 09:56:54 PM »

Weight and height don't always factor in to to jobs such as fire and police work. If they are small enough but can do the job (be able to lift a certain amount, etc.) why should they be stopped from having the job even if they are smaller?
But is it really reasonable to think a 5'1, 120 lb women, could carry a 6'3, 300 lb man out of a building?  How do you simulate that completely?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 09:58:14 PM »

But is it really reasonable to think a 5'1, 120 lb women, could carry a 6'3, 300 lb man out of a building?  How do you simulate that completely?

Most can't, some can. I realize that not many people will be able to do it but as I'm saying, why ban the people who can do it from the job? And the answer is there is no reason.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 10:05:54 PM »

If the job involves going into small spaces, then people too big to do that should obviously be disqualified, but generally, I agree with MasterJedi: strength requirements are the way to go.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 10:31:29 PM »

For those types of jobs, I support height and weight requirements, yes.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 08:15:27 AM »

I care more that they are fit for the job rather than something arbitrary like height and weight. Also, having some variety on your team can make it more flexible.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »

The Army is similar - they have to meet certain height and weight standards but I am one who believes that if a Soldier can pass a PT test (with at least a 250 score) and can ruck a 50lb ruck march for 4-5 miles then I think the Soldier is good enough for me regardless of their size.

I must say though, being around the Naval Base here, Sailors and Airmen are fatter and more out of shape than Soldier. I just can not see how they get by.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »

The Army is similar - they have to meet certain height and weight standards but I am one who believes that if a Soldier can pass a PT test (with at least a 250 score) and can ruck a 50lb ruck march for 4-5 miles then I think the Soldier is good enough for me regardless of their size.

I must say though, being around the Naval Base here, Sailors and Airmen are fatter and more out of shape than Soldier. I just can not see how they get by.
When I joined the USAF back in 1994, we were the only branch that had a lift requirement at MEPS  It was (something like) 45lbs to chest level.  (I believe the Marines had their recruits do some physical stuff at the recruiters office at the time)  My entire time in they "taped" us to check for body fat.  I spent most of my career fighting to get off "weight management" or fighting to stay off of it.  It sucked because I was fairly fit and didn't look as bad in uniform as some others that never had a problem using the "tape".  They also made us ride an exercise bike once a year, but that was easily defeated by, ironically, smoking a cigarette right before the test (something about heart rate).  After I got out, I think sometime in 2002 maybe, the AF dropped all of that and now everybody runs biweekly just like the Army.  The fit tests include pushups, situps and a run.  A smoke ain't going to help you there Smiley

But yeah, generally speaking, the AF and Navy are a bit more out of shape than the Army and the Marines.  We don't need to be.

(there are a lot of restrictions for a lot of specific jobs in the military too.  No chicks on subs.  No big dudes or little dudes in fighters.  Few chicks in Special Ops.  No straight men in the Navy.)
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 12:10:34 PM »

When I joined the USAF back in 1994, we were the only branch that had a lift requirement at MEPS  It was (something like) 45lbs to chest level.  (I believe the Marines had their recruits do some physical stuff at the recruiters office at the time)  My entire time in they "taped" us to check for body fat.  I spent most of my career fighting to get off "weight management" or fighting to stay off of it.  It sucked because I was fairly fit and didn't look as bad in uniform as some others that never had a problem using the "tape".  They also made us ride an exercise bike once a year, but that was easily defeated by, ironically, smoking a cigarette right before the test (something about heart rate).  After I got out, I think sometime in 2002 maybe, the AF dropped all of that and now everybody runs biweekly just like the Army.  The fit tests include pushups, situps and a run.  A smoke ain't going to help you there Smiley

But yeah, generally speaking, the AF and Navy are a bit more out of shape than the Army and the Marines.  We don't need to be.

(there are a lot of restrictions for a lot of specific jobs in the military too.  No chicks on subs.  No big dudes or little dudes in fighters.  Few chicks in Special Ops.  No straight men in the Navy.)

About time the Air Force finally get their guys to do some actual PT though I think it's pathetic that you guys only run 1.5 miles.  I really think the Army needs to lengthen the run distance from 2 miles to 3 miles - yeah I'm crazy.

I'm sure MODU will love your last comment!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 12:15:39 PM »

I hate running.  It's way to hard on the body.  I don't mind doing it when I need to as in emergencies or sport, but for excercise? no thank you.  Give me swimming or bikes, even a brisk walk is fine.  Running/jogging kicks my ass.  Or I should say, my knee's ass.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 12:21:46 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2008, 09:11:04 PM by CPT MikeyMike »

I hate running.  It's way to hard on the body.  I don't mind doing it when I need to as in emergencies or sport, but for excercise? no thank you.  Give me swimming or bikes, even a brisk walk is fine.  Running/jogging kicks my ass.  Or I should say, my knee's ass.

Thus why you joined the Air Force Tongue
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 06:37:48 PM »

It may be necessary in some instances, but generally the main focus should be on the ability to perform the job.

Height/weight requirements for irrelevant reasons (ex. flight attendants for appearance reasons) are discriminatory.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 05:38:01 PM »

There are other ways to make sure someone is capable of doing their job than arbitrary numerical height and weight requirements.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies