Nelson Rockefeller sets his sites on 1968
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:40:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Nelson Rockefeller sets his sites on 1968
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nelson Rockefeller sets his sites on 1968  (Read 1550 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2008, 10:57:12 PM »

Monday, July 17, 1967, the Nelson Rockefeller summer home, Seal Harbor, Maine.

New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller meets with his brothers, John D. III, philanthropist,  Laurance, conservationist, Winthrop, Governor of Arkansas, and David, financier and banking executive.

I have one more shot at the Presidency, Nelson tells his brothers, and this time, I am determined to get it right.

I know Nixon wants to go for it again, and maybe Romney will make a run.  I'm not concerned about Reagan or Lindsay, and anybody else who may be running cannot be taken seriously.  I am sure I can bring Lindsay on side.  I'll talk to Romney, he'd make a great running mate for me, he's a successful business executive and an effective Governor of an important midwest state.

There's no point  in me trying to pander to the south by picking a southern running mate.  I am convinced this election for me will be won or lost in the midwest.  Romney would fit in well with this strategy. 

What do you think? Nelson asks his brothers.

Well, says David, it's do or die this time.  I say go for it.  But you're going to have to be spicific on the economy and talk straight to the public about Vietnam.  This war is becoming more and more unpopular as time goes by, and this nation will take only so much of young Americans dying over there.  The other brothers agreed.

That's true, says Nelson. Vietnam has been concerning me deeply.  As you know, I do not approve of war.  We fight if we must, but Vietnam is spinning out of control.  Johnson has directed this war abysmally.  I'll talk to Kissinger.  I want a strategy developed that will get us out of Vietnam, bring our troops home, and prepare South Vietnam to take over the war themselves.  I would like to see some kind of peace negotiations developed. 
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:16:56 PM »

Rockefeller still supported the war in mid 67 (IIRC my research paper correctly).  Sorry to burst your bubble.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:28:20 PM »

Rockefeller still supported the war in mid 67 (IIRC my research paper correctly).  Sorry to burst your bubble.

Good grief, do you even know the purpose of an alternative election story?

I hate to burst your bubble, but it can be anything the author wants it to be.

If I want Rockefeller to play the role of wanting to end the war, so be it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 08:45:40 PM »

Keep going.  Rocky/Romney would've been a great bumper sticker.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies