Most liberal Southern CD? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:02:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most liberal Southern CD? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most liberal Southern CD?  (Read 3877 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: July 14, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »

A case could be made that anywhere in the U.S with a large black population is culturally Southern, to an extent.

Not really, no. With a few exceptions, most such populations are generations removed from the South. While they are often similar to each other despite enormous geographic divides, they aren't Southern in character.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 12:46:03 PM »

A case could be made that anywhere in the U.S with a large black population is culturally Southern, to an extent.

Not really, no. With a few exceptions, most such populations are generations removed from the South. While they are often similar to each other despite enormous geographic divides, they aren't Southern in character.

But, or so it could be argued, what could be more "Southern" than large numbers of people descended from Slaves?

That's a more than mildly superficial look at what it means to be "Southern" in culture.

Also to The Mikado, it lasted until then, but most of the population moved long before. And even those who moved in the 1970s are mostly quite old now if they're even still alive (since it wasn't the youth moving).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 06:42:33 PM »

Also to The Mikado, it lasted until then, but most of the population moved long before.
Peaked around 1950. Begun much earlier (1890s) of course.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It wasn't?

Of course it was.

There are vast no.s of southern natives in all northern states with large black populations. I've never seen that table broken down by race, and obviously there are quite a few whites among these people, but I always surmised most were black.
Illinois still has more Mississippi natives than any other state except Mississippi, and IIRC more Mississippi natives than natives of any other state except Illinois (but don't nail me on the latter).

I think I'm using "youth" a little differently, meaning those under the age of 18. You probably mean the younger end of the workforce.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies