Most liberal Southern CD? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:30:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most liberal Southern CD? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most liberal Southern CD?  (Read 3845 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: July 14, 2008, 12:10:17 PM »

Not really, no. With a few exceptions, most such populations are generations removed from the South.
The Great Exodus lasted right into the early 1970s...

I would nominate MD-4 or MD-7, except that some insaniac defined that area as not southern. Meh. Lloyd Doggett's district were the answer if it were more sanely shaped, although it's much better now than it used to be. So... I don't know. Maybe one of the Broward/Dade White Dem districts, although how they can be considered southern when Baltimore is not has me stumped.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »

Also to The Mikado, it lasted until then, but most of the population moved long before.
Peaked around 1950. Begun much earlier (1890s) of course.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It wasn't?

Of course it was.

There are vast no.s of southern natives in all northern states with large black populations. I've never seen that table broken down by race, and obviously there are quite a few whites among these people, but I always surmised most were black.
Illinois still has more Mississippi natives than any other state except Mississippi, and IIRC more Mississippi natives than natives of any other state except Illinois (but don't nail me on the latter).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:41:38 AM »

Also to The Mikado, it lasted until then, but most of the population moved long before.
Peaked around 1950. Begun much earlier (1890s) of course.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It wasn't?

Of course it was.

There are vast no.s of southern natives in all northern states with large black populations. I've never seen that table broken down by race, and obviously there are quite a few whites among these people, but I always surmised most were black.
Illinois still has more Mississippi natives than any other state except Mississippi, and IIRC more Mississippi natives than natives of any other state except Illinois (but don't nail me on the latter).

I think I'm using "youth" a little differently, meaning those under the age of 18. You probably mean the younger end of the workforce.
I basically meant 0 to 35.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 08:58:39 AM »

By-race figures on birthplace are not available by state, but they are available by region!
Here's percentage born in the South (for whole population), percentage born in the South (for non-hispanic black only population), percentage non-hispanic black only (for population born in the South), for 12 northern and western states with sizable black populations.

(South = Census Bureau definition. Includes Delaware, West Virginia, Kentucky and Oklahoma, but not Missouri.)

Massachusetts 3.3 15.1 23.0
Connecticut      4.6 20.2 37.8
New York          4.0 14.5 53.0
New Jersey       4.7 18.4 50.2
Pennsylvania    5.6 14.9 25.8
Ohio                10.4 19.7 21.4
Indiana           10.2 21.6 17.4
Illinois               6.5 21.0 47.9
Michigan            7.0 21.3 42.5
Wisconsin          3.6 23.3 36.2
Missouri             9.2 17.8 21.4
California           6.2 25.1 25.8

So... about a fifth of the north's black population is still southern born (less where there's also a sizable element of Caribbean immigration, unsurprisingly). That's comparable to Florida's northeast-born share.
Obviously, the black share of the southern-born pop. is lower where there's been a sizeable element of white southern immigration - Pennsylvania Ohio, Indiana (mostly Appalachian in these states), Missouri, California (think Grapes of Wrath). Although Massachusetts is odd. I probably should have double-checked that one. Too lazy now. Tab's already closed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 12:46:35 PM »

Although Massachusetts is odd. I probably should have double-checked that one. Too lazy now. Tab's already closed.

It makes sense to me. Universities, liberal politics, tech and medical jobs have lured a lot of southerners here. I don't know how much of this is the circles I'm in vs. the city as a whole, but there seem to be a lot of southern gays, graduate students, scientists, doctors, academics, and just plain liberals in the area. I think this city has not been as comfortable a place for African-Americans to settle after school as it is for many white people, for a variety of reasons.

Except that the total southerner population is given as pretty low.
No, I wager I made a mistake in calculating.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies