The Midwest: teh Game! - In Progress!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:33:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Midwest: teh Game! - In Progress!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Midwest: teh Game! - In Progress!  (Read 12660 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2008, 05:37:37 PM »
« edited: August 19, 2008, 10:09:53 PM by ilikeverin »

Excuse the hokey setup Cheesy

So, some interest was shown in a Mafia-type game to be played, so I have come up with the ultimate theme... the Midwest!  Obviously.  If you need to know how to play, check out a tutorial here.

Adapted for teh Intarwebs, the game works like this:
I start with a night phase.  Any players who make night moves PM me their orders; Mafia members (Pacificans in this case) are allowed to talk to each other via PM, but no one else can.
Then all the moves are executed simultaneously and I announce the start of a new day.  People are encouraged to keep their talk on the game thread (which'll be opened when we have enough players) but of course I cannot, strictly speaking, forbid you from PMing.  Players have to decide on someone to lynch.  BOLD AND ALLCAPS your vote; you can also UNVOTE if you'd like.  Once everyone has voted (or if people are stupid after a reasonable amount of time) I will announce a deadline for people to make any final changes.

I'm hoping for at least 9 players.  Below is a preliminary role distribution; role descriptions have their common names taken from here.  Note that the names of the roles are for the amusement of the players/moderator only, and you are not required (in fact, you are discouraged from!) changing your name/age/avatar/maturity level/gender because of the role you receive... though changes based on the setting in general would amuse me (use EMOTICONS Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin).  We'll keep it relatively simple for the first game.

1 ilikeverin (Governor): Can give one of Nym's Peanut Butter Cookies to ("pardon") a lynchee by PMing me with their desire to do so after the vote is finalized.  Can only do it once per person per game and cannot pardon themselves.
1 Jas (Cop): Can investigate someone using their contacts in the Examiner to see whether someone is a Pacifican or not.
1 Lewis (Doctor): Can give people hugs and carrots to prevent them from being killed if they are targeted by the Pacificans during the night.
1 Jesus (Mafia Godfather): In charge of making the final decision of who to kill for the night.  This role passes to the Ebowed should Jesus die.
1 Ebowed (Mafia): Can provide suggestions to the Jesus about who to kill during the night.
1 WMS (Vengeful Townie): If lynched, this person can take out their years of anger for not being a part of the Midwest Region by killing someone of their choice.
1 PBrunsel (Townie): Nothin' special.
1 Cheesewhiz (Townie): Nothin' special.
1 Speed of Sound (Townie): Is Lieutenant Governor, so nothin' special.

Questions?  Comments?  Concerns?

Player List
Xahar
Meeker
Hashemite
fezzyfestoon
Lewis Trondheim
hughento
Al
Evrette
Mr. Moderate
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »

Grin Cheesy Smiley Wink Tongue Wink Smiley Cheesy Grin

I'll give it a go.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »

I loves me some Mafia. Count me in.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 07:21:15 PM »

Sure.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 06:41:11 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2008, 06:52:27 AM by Mama was a Rodeo. Papa was a Rock'n'Roll Band. >:( »

1 Jas (Cop): Can investigate someone using their contacts in the Examiner to see whether someone is a Pacifican or not.
I've no idea how this role works.

EDIT: Forget that. I do.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
So, I (yeah, I know. Whoever gets "me") give someone a carrot and a hug at the start of the night secretly and if the evil Pacificans try to kill him he doesn't die and doesn't notice anything whatsoever? Or can I cure the actual killee *once* during the game (sort of like a Verin of the Night)?
May I suggest personalizing these by naming them after three citizens of other regions?

Also, I think "pardoning" should be called "give one of Nym's Peanut Butter Cookies".
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:04:37 AM »

I've no idea how this role works.

EDIT: Forget that. I do.

So, I (yeah, I know. Whoever gets "me") give someone a carrot and a hug at the start of the night secretly and if the evil Pacificans try to kill him he doesn't die and doesn't notice anything whatsoever? Or can I cure the actual killee *once* during the game (sort of like a Verin of the Night)?

The former.  That can lead to some fun situations where the doctor saves someone in the night and then the person s/he saved gets the doctor lynched for whatever reason.   The latter would be an interesting idea but I think a bit too complicated for this first game Wink

May I suggest personalizing these by naming them after three citizens of other regions?
[/quote]

If you insist Cheesy

They are Speed of Sound, CheeseWhiz, and PBrunsel.

Certainly.

Can I count you in? Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 10:24:08 AM »

Yeth.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »

Sign me up.

Also, there should be one Defector (hughento) - The mafia know who the defactor is, and the defector knows the lower levels of the mafia...ie, the Ebowed, but the townspeople have no knowledge of who the defector is. The Defector can reveal the Ebowed, but it is instant (and unstoppable) suicide to do so and that mafia member cannot be lynched until the next turn. When the defector is killed, if the Doctor or the Cop are directly involved with the defector in that turn, their hitman is uncovered.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 05:46:51 PM »

Sign me up.

Also, there should be one Defector (hughento) - The mafia know who the defactor is, and the defector knows the lower levels of the mafia...ie, the Ebowed, but the townspeople have no knowledge of who the defector is. The Defector can reveal the Ebowed, but it is instant (and unstoppable) suicide to do so and that mafia member cannot be lynched until the next turn. When the defector is killed, if the Doctor or the Cop are directly involved with the defector in that turn, their hitman is uncovered.

Keep it simple, hugh, keep it simple Wink

3 more and we can start the game!

Also, I'll be gone from July 30-August 8, as I'll be in Europe, and don't know whether I'll have internet access (so I might be on maybe?).  I might recruit someone who's died to be moderator while I'm gone... I hope you don't mind Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 05:06:05 AM »

Lt Gov? So he becomes Governor when the Governor is killed or lynched? Do both Governors have a personal pardon or is there only one pardon in the entire game?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 05:52:09 PM »

Lt Gov? So he becomes Governor when the Governor is killed or lynched? Do both Governors have a personal pardon or is there only one pardon in the entire game?

Ooh, good idea.  I was just planning on him being a normal citizen, but I kind of like this plan.  But the Speed of Sound will have no Nym's Cookies unless the ilikeverin dies.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:42 PM »

Sign me up also
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 10:46:03 PM »

One more person!

It's like The Mole but in game form!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 12:36:14 AM »

Okay, I'll give it a try.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 06:23:39 PM »

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'll give it another 24 hours for anyone else to join (I'll just add a Townie or two, likely) and then we'll get started Smiley
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 11:59:08 AM »

1 WMS (Vengeful Townie): If lynched, this person can take out their years of anger for not being a part of the Midwest Region by killing someone of their choice.
Grin *snickers greatly*
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 09:16:23 PM »

Grin *snickers greatly*

You know, I've been considering making a recruitment drive lately... Cheesy
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 03:23:04 PM »

Grin *snickers greatly*

You know, I've been considering making a recruitment drive lately... Cheesy

Sorry, only when the red sun shines upon Belle Fourche will I ever return to Atlasia. Wink
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 12:19:41 PM »

I'd like to sign up, if it's not too late.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 01:12:51 AM »

I'd like to sign up, if it's not too late.

It is, but you're first on the list if we need a replacement Smiley

I think I'm still waiting for orders from people, but I'm still not up to full operation so we may need to wait a bit Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »

It is an ordinary night in Belle Fourche.  Ordinary, that is, UNTIL THE SUN RISES Shocked Shocked Shocked

Erm, yeah.  So, anyway, everyone herds into the town center, huddling for warmth or something.  Quickly, a head count is made.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8... 8... 8... where's #9?

Who is missing?!

A decision is made to count the heads again.  The number 8 is reached yet again.  Allegations are thrown around.  Chaos ensues.  Then, the counter sheepishly realizes that they did not count themselves.  Whoops.

So, erm, everyone made it through the night.  Nobody died last night.

Well, score one for the Midwesterners, I guess!

The day has begun.  Please decide who to lynch.  I'll give you a fixed time limit if you're too lazy.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 11:51:32 PM »

Can I get a list of everyone?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 05:06:16 AM »