Amendment [to be determined] to the Atlasian Constitution (At Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:23:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Amendment [to be determined] to the Atlasian Constitution (At Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Amendment [to be determined] to the Atlasian Constitution (At Final Vote)  (Read 7500 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »
« edited: August 07, 2008, 04:58:56 PM by PPT Colin Wixted »

Amendment [to be determined] to the Atlasian Constitution

Be it resolved that:

The constitution of Atlasia be amended by insertion of the following text as Article IV, Section 1, Clause 5.

"In times of emergency or regional inactivity, the Secretary of Forum Affairs shall be empowered to open and close regional voting booths for regional office, referenda, and constitutional amendment ratification regions as to protect the peoples’ right to cast a ballot. Such power shall be granted on a limited basis at the president’s discretion."

Sponsor: Conor Flynn
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:16:15 PM »

Please, please, please pass this.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 01:50:06 AM »

I wonder whether I support this amendment or not? Hehe.

I fully support this measure to enable the Secretary of Forum Affairs with these powers due to regional inactivity. Regional inactivity has been a common occurrence in some parts of the nation of late, most notably the Southeast region which took days to close their Gubernatorial ballot, which resulted in the election of King of the Bench. If this means the Federal Government has to intervene than of course, I am for it. Anything for the voters interests, particularly in the regions affected.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:37:15 AM »

How is "regional inactivity" defined? ie, how long is a SoFA supposed to wait until he opens booths?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:43:37 AM »

How is "regional inactivity" defined? ie, how long is a SoFA supposed to wait until he opens booths?

Well, "regional inactivity" would be up to the President or SoFA to decide (with both having to be in agreement regarding the need to open the booth).  In practice, I would say approximately 48–72 hours past the earliest possible start for the election/amendment ratification vote, which is right around when people start complaining.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:09:04 AM »

This is definately needed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »

I'd prefer the limits of this provision (ie the definition of inactivity) to be more clearly defined.
Will write something up tomorrow.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 04:36:12 PM »

Amendment [to be determined] to the Atlasian Constitution

Be it resolved that:

The constitution of Atlasia be amended by insertion of the following text as Article IV, Section 1, Clause 5.

"In times of emergency or regional inactivity, the Secretary of Forum Affairs shall be empowered to open and close regional voting booths for regional office, referenda, and constitutional amendment ratification regions as to protect the peoples’ right to cast a ballot. Such power shall be granted on a limited basis at the president’s discretion, but only in cases in which the at least 72 hours have elapsed since the earliest possible time to open the voting booth."

Addition of bolded text proposed as an amendment.

If someone has a better way to word this, or would like a slightly smaller timeframe, say so. I'm open to friendly amendments.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 09:04:44 AM »

Federal Control of Stagnant Regions Amendment to the Atlasian Constitution

Be it resolved that:

"In times of emergency or regional inactivity, the Secretary of Forum Affairs shall be empowered to open and close regional voting booths for regional office, referenda, and constitutional amendment ratification as to protect the peoples right to cast a ballot.  Such power shall be granted if the booth has not been opened within 72 hours from the earliest possible moment the booth could legally have been opened.

As Lewis's amendment passes strike the bolded area.  I see the importance of the federal issues, but I do not think the federal government should be able to conduct a strictly regional election

Name can be considered seperate amendment
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 12:17:57 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2008, 01:32:04 PM by Torie »

As a friendly amendment/rewrite, here is my crack at some language. It excises some bridgework language about inactivity and the like that could lead to litigation, and also deals with open voting booths that never close, or close but no certification ensues.

Amendment to the Atlasian Constitution to  Preserve and Protect a Republican form of government for the Regions of Atlasia:

Be it resolved that:

"The President is empowered to direct the Secretary of Forum Affairs  (i) to conduct elections within the regions of Atlasia in such instances where  the regional authority responsible for doing so fails to open a voting booth to conduct such elections within 72 hours after the earliest legally specified time for doing so, and (ii) in instances where such a regional voting booth has been opened,  to close such voting booth and/or certify any such election if such regional authority fails to so act as otherwise required by law."
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 08:14:11 PM »

As a friendly amendment/rewrite, here is my crack at some language. It excises some bridgework language about inactivity and the like that could lead to litigation, and also deals with open voting booths that never close, or close but no certification ensues.

Amendment to the Atlasian Constitution to  Preserve and Protect a Republican form of government for the Regions of Atlasia:

Be it resolved that:

"The President is empowered to direct the Secretary of Forum Affairs  (i) to conduct elections within the regions of Atlasia in such instances where  the regional authority responsible for doing so fails to open a voting booth to conduct such elections within 72 hours after the earliest legally specified time for doing so, and (ii) in instances where such a regional voting booth has been opened,  to close such voting booth and/or certify any such election if such regional authority fails to so act as otherwise required by law."

That looks good to me, especially with the fact that you considered closing the booths as well.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 02:09:16 AM »

I like the Torie re-write.

I note the regional/federal concern DWTL has, but the smooth operation of the regions has a notable impact on federal government.  It is in everyone's best interest to make sure that booths can be opened and closed if regional government breaks down and fails in its responsibility to the people.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »

Question to the PPT: If I were to withdraw my amendment in favor of Torie's, I assume we'll still be voting on DWDL's before Torie's?

Also. Separate question to everybody: While I like the look of the language of Torie's version, I note that it refers merely to "elections". I think Constitutional Amendment votes should be in there explicitly - seen too much from our diverse Supreme Courts.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2008, 02:25:00 PM by Torie »

OK, here it is again:

Be it resolved that:

"The President is empowered to direct the Secretary of Forum Affairs  (i) to conduct elections for office or vote on referenda or the ratification of constitutional amendments within the regions of Atlasia in such instances where  the regional authority responsible for doing so fails to open a voting booth to conduct such elections for office or vote on  referenda or constitutional amendment  within 72 hours after the earliest legally specified time for doing so, and (ii) in instances where such a regional voting booth has been opened,  to close such voting booth and/or certify any vote result thereof if such regional authority fails to so act as otherwise required by law."

I guess another issue is whether the President should be empowered to step in, or directed to step in, in the face of regional vote failure. Should "is empowered to" be changed to "shall?" If so, then if the President does not act, he or she can be sued. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 02:22:48 PM »

Alright, I'm withdrawing mine in favor of Torie's.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 02:25:35 PM »

Please see the last paragraph I just added to my previous post. Thanks.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 02:56:04 PM »

I guess another issue is whether the President should be empowered to step in, or directed to step in, in the face of regional vote failure. Should "is empowered to" be changed to "shall?" If so, then if the President does not act, he or she can be sued. Smiley

I'd prefer if President and SoFA cannot be sued over failure to use this. The idea is to cut red tape by creating a constitutional easy way out in case of absence, not to create more red tape.
F.ex. imagine if a booth is opened by the normal regional authorities about 84 hours late, and somebody sues the President because they didn't act earlier.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 03:03:06 PM »

Hey, litigation is what makes Atlasia great. Smiley
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »

I agree with Lewis, the president should be empowered rather than required.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 01:18:06 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2008, 01:19:47 PM by PPT Colin Wixted »

We will now vote on Senator DWTL's amendment:

Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

As Senator Flynn did not accept Senator Torie's amendment as friendly within the 24-hour window it will be voted on next after Senator DWTL's amendment.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 02:46:32 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2008, 06:04:38 PM by Sen. DownWithTheLeft »

Aye

I don't think my amendment will pass, but I would like it to be noted that I most likely will be voting against this bill if it involves the federal government being able to seize power from the regional governments on a strictly regional issue
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 09:36:43 PM »

Nay
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 10:09:04 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2008, 10:10:51 PM by Torie »

Nay

By the way, you are doing a great job so far Colin. Kudos.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 10:30:41 PM »

By the way, you are doing a great job so far Colin. Kudos.

Thanks Torie I appreciate it and feedback, whether positive or negative, is always good.

Anways, Nay on the amendment.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 07:32:31 AM »

Nay.

We'll be voting on Torie's amendment afterwards, and I wouldn't mind if DWDL's (in content, not in wording) came up again afterwards. And while I will be voting "nay" again then, I do not see it as frivolous or anything. He has a valid point... it's just that the whole idea of the bill is that ensuring that elections actually happen is of overriding importance.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies