MS-Sen B: Here comes the DSCC...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:30:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MS-Sen B: Here comes the DSCC...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MS-Sen B: Here comes the DSCC...  (Read 1149 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2008, 02:43:40 PM »

"As Sen. Roger Wicker (R) continues to air a series of campaign ads in central and Gulf Coast Mississippi this month, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee is going up on television in the Magnolia state beginning today.

The DSCC television purchases in Mississippi means the party will be on the air in the Magnolia State ahead of the Democratic Senate nominee, former Gov. Ronnie Musgrove, who has yet to buy television ads in the special Senate election."

http://www.rollcall.com/issues/54_6/atr/26658-1.html

This the DSCC's second ad buy of the cycle.  Earlier this year, the DSCC paid for two ads attacking Sen. Gordon Smith (R-OR) and another defending Jeff Merkley. In addition to these ads, the DSCC spent over $250k covering all of Merkley's campaign expenses from payroll to stamps. In both of these races, a Republican incumbent enjoys a slim lead in the polls but a massive CoH advantage. The DSCC is trying to even the playing field for its challengers.
Conan
conan

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »

"As Sen. Roger Wicker (R) continues to air a series of campaign ads in central and Gulf Coast Mississippi this month, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee is going up on television in the Magnolia state beginning today.

The DSCC television purchases in Mississippi means the party will be on the air in the Magnolia State ahead of the Democratic Senate nominee, former Gov. Ronnie Musgrove, who has yet to buy television ads in the special Senate election."

This the DSCC's second ad buy of the cycle.  Earlier this year, the DSCC paid for two ads attacking Sen. Gordon Smith (R-OR) and another defending Jeff Merkley. In addition to these ads, the DSCC spent over $250k covering all of Merkley's campaign expenses from payroll to stamps. In both of these races, a Republican incumbent enjoys a slim lead in the polls but a massive CoH advantage. The DSCC is trying to even the playing field for its challengers.
Last time I checked, Wicker didn't hold a slim lead.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »

Before Wicker started his ad blitz, he was statistically tied with Musgrove.  Though he didn't enjoy a Dole-type bounce, Wicker's campaign was bolstered by his advertising.

I'd guess Wicker will be up 3-4 points when the next poll comes out. If he wasn't helped by his recent ad buy, why would the DSCC have stepped in so early?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 02:57:28 PM »

Before Wicker started his ad blitz, he was statistically tied with Musgrove.  Though he didn't enjoy a Dole-type bounce, Wicker's campaign was bolstered by his advertising.

I'd guess Wicker will be up 3-4 points when the next poll comes out. If he wasn't helped by his recent ad buy, why would the DSCC have stepped in so early?

3-4 points in my world (as in most worlds with small polling size samples) is statistically tied.  Nevertheless, that's where the race is right now (yes, you heard me correctly - don't listen to polls or Harry that much).  You just don't want there to be a small bump to discourage fundraisers.

The real question is whether the DSCC can keep Wicker from defining himself as a Republican/conservative/whatever, and Musgrove as a Democrat.  I suspect the latter is easier than the former, but it makes a world of difference in a state like MS where the Republican resides in the most strongly white Democratic part of the state (respectively).
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 03:09:08 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2008, 03:12:02 PM by MarkWarner08 »

3-4 points in my world (as in most worlds with small polling size samples) is statistically tied.  Nevertheless, that's where the race is right now (yes, you heard me correctly - don't listen to polls or Harry that much).  You just don't want there to be a small bump to discourage fundraisers.

The real question is whether the DSCC can keep Wicker from defining himself as a Republican/conservative/whatever, and Musgrove as a Democrat.  I suspect the latter is easier than the former, but it makes a world of difference in a state like MS where the Republican resides in the most strongly white Democratic part of the state (respectively).
Yes, 3-4 points is usually within the MoE so that does count as "statistically tied," but I think we both agree that Wicker has a narrow advantage in this race. If it weren't for the lack of name ID on the ballot, I'd say Wicker would win by 6-8 points.Right now this election is literally be a choice between two individuals, one well-known, the other well-known in just one CD. Once Wicker reaches name ID parity with Musgrove, the onus will be on the DSCC to prevent Wicker from framing this a choice election between the liberal national Democratic Party and the national Republican Party. If their efforts fail, Wicker will probably win.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 06:55:32 PM »

Good for the DSCC.  We are going to have to fight hard to win.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies