The direction of the Republican Party if McCain loses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:23:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  The direction of the Republican Party if McCain loses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The direction of the Republican Party if McCain loses  (Read 18780 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 09:56:32 AM »

No change - they'll stick to nationalism and hate.

^^^^^^^^

I think they're pretty much stuck with this direction for the forseeable future, their supporters demand it.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 01:19:04 PM »

No change - they'll stick to nationalism and hate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 03:18:12 PM »

Necons fade in favor of Paleocons, the big wigs in the party become Jindal, Palin, Mike Pence and John Thune.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 03:57:04 PM »

Necons fade in favor of Paleocons, the big wigs in the party become Jindal, Palin, Mike Pence and John Thune.
Most of the people on that list are huge hawks & free traders so no.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 04:08:05 PM »

The only populist/protectionist sentiment exists within the democratic party (and really only half of the party supports this). I have never heard once a republican (that I know of) talk badly about free trade.
There's plenty of Republicans who take a moderate or anti free trade stance. Like Bob Smith, Tom Tancredo, and Mike Huckabee to name a few. The more solidly pro-Free Trade/neo-Liberal bent of the party is a relatively recent trend which could easily reverse itself.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2008, 04:55:14 PM »

Most of the people on that list are huge hawks & free traders so no.
I guess I wasn't clear, the party will move in a paleo-con direction, but for the time being new neo-con leaders will emerge, slightly more true conservative than the jokers now
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 12:46:33 AM »

So the GOP becomes totally unelectable? I can live with that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »

Good for us.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2008, 05:07:53 PM »

I really think that we will do better, because IMO Obama if elected will fail as a president, and may lose in a landslide when he runs for reelection.  The coattails will probably give the GOP a bunch of seats in congress.  That said, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

But seriously, how is anyone supposed to know how the political direction of the GOP will go?  All of this speculation seems very odd at this point in time.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 11:00:09 AM »

Hopefully straight to hell.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 11:11:05 AM »

I could see them moving more Libertarian trying to provide a real option to the big government Democrats.
A lot of the GOP base are more left leaning on economic issues like healthcare or social security than the party leaders. So no, probably not.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 02:40:52 PM »

I could see them moving more Libertarian trying to provide a real option to the big government Democrats.
A lot of the GOP base are more left leaning on economic issues like healthcare or social security than the party leaders. So no, probably not.

Ditch them & get a new base. Evil
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 05:36:06 PM »

In the short run, the GOP would be damaged, because they would have to find a new strategy other than Nixon's backlash strategy that they've been using since the 70s and Rove's permanent majority. In the long run, they would benefit, though.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 05:38:07 PM »

I really think that we will do better, because IMO Obama if elected will fail as a president, and may lose in a landslide when he runs for reelection.  The coattails will probably give the GOP a bunch of seats in congress.  That said, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

But seriously, how is anyone supposed to know how the political direction of the GOP will go?  All of this speculation seems very odd at this point in time.

Nor can you predict whether Obama will succeed or fail as President. No one thought Bill Clinton in 1994 or Reagan in 1982 looked like winners (or Bush in 2002 looked like a loser).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2008, 09:04:57 PM »

Nor can you predict whether Obama will succeed or fail as President. No one thought Bill Clinton in 1994 or Reagan in 1982 looked like winners (or Bush in 2002 looked like a loser).

Although, its more interesting to think about what the U.S. will look like in 2020 than 2010 because of Obama's legacy.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 12:47:02 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2008, 12:58:00 PM by North Carolina Yankee »

There is a growing populist trend among social conservatives who are becoming less concerned with moral issues and more with Health Care and Education and they typically favor big government solutions to both issues. The one Presidential candidate who represented this was Mike Huckabee. As Barry Goldwater once said "he scares the hell out of me". This movement if unchecked would lead to an exodus of Libertarians and economic conservatives over to the Democrats, and in inspite of my Socially Conservative views, I might just be one of them. This party will not survive if it forgets its small government roots. So in 2012 the party is going to have to find a balance to keep the party together. Four people could do this Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin, Bobby Jindal and John Thune.  The party can not ditch one in favor of the other if they do the will lose and big. I know for sure that know matter what happens Mike Huckabee will be running in 2012 but he will definately not be the only one. Mitt Romney if is picked as veep and isn't blamed for the loss or if McCain wins. Plus there will be the new lower tier candidates many of whom will be appealing like Palin, Jindal, and Thune. The problem is the GOP usually picks the front runner and there are two. Huck got more delegates, Romney got more votes.   
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 12:51:58 PM »

There is a growing populist trend among social conservatives who are becoming less concerned with moral issues and more with Health Care and Education and they typically favor big government solutions to both issues. The one Presidential candidate who represented this was Mike Huckabee. As Barry Goldwater once said "he scares the hell out of me". This movement if unchecked would lead to an exodus of Libertarians and economic conservatives over to the Democrats, and in inspite of my Socially Conservative views, I might just be one of them. This party will not survive if it forgets its small government roots. So in 2012 the party is going to have to find a balance to keep the party together. ThreeFour people could do this Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin, Bobby Jindal and John Thune.  The party can not ditch one in favor of the other if they do the will lose and big. I know for sure that know matter what happens Mike Huckabee will be running in 2012 but he will definately not be the only one. Mitt Romney if is picked as veep and isn't blamed for the loss or if McCain wins. Plus there will be the new lower tier candidates many of whom will be appealing like Palin, Jindal, and Thune. The problem is the GOP usually picks the front runner and there are two. Huck got more delegates, Romney got more votes.   
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 01:01:18 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2008, 01:03:02 PM by North Carolina Yankee »

Thanks for the correction Happy Warrior I decided to include Thune in last minute and I forgot to change that word. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »

The Republicans, I think, will be moving in that direction, And they'll be hurting because of it.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2008, 02:34:42 AM »

I agree.  I'm split on this and I think the party is, too.

The GOP is split on a lot of issues.  Unlike the Democrat primary, there were real policy debates between the Republican candidates.  Unfortunately, all that was left unresolved and "electability" won out.

Cynical prediction: Whether McCain or Obama win the election, both parties become more corrupt and self-serving.  The "direction" of the parties will just be toward self-perpetuation while trying to find a "narrative" to sell to the voters.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »

There is a growing populist trend among social conservatives who are becoming less concerned with moral issues and more with Health Care and Education and they typically favor big government solutions to both issues. The one Presidential candidate who represented this was Mike Huckabee. As Barry Goldwater once said "he scares the hell out of me". This movement if unchecked would lead to an exodus of Libertarians and economic conservatives over to the Democrats, and in inspite of my Socially Conservative views, I might just be one of them. This party will not survive if it forgets its small government roots.

More likely they will join the Libertarian Party methinks -I can't see any self-respecting libertarian Republican (think Philip) joining a party that they have long perceived as being more in favor of big government than the GOP. 
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2008, 06:08:35 PM »

More likely they will join the Libertarian Party methinks -I can't see any self-respecting libertarian Republican (think Philip) joining a party that they have long perceived as being more in favor of big government than the GOP. 
The libertarian party isn't going anywhere. If a moderate 3rd Party like Reform couldn't make gains they definitely won't because, sadly, they are mostly extremists. In the short term there will probably be a continued rise in Independents though... Probably from departing from both sides if the last 8 years are any indication.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2008, 03:20:29 PM »

Although, there could be a rise in a 3rd party that could simply replace on of the two current parties.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »

So far the GOP has become more hard-line and intransigent. It seems to act as if Dubya were a great President and that Obama was a fluke. That's a lot like the Left in 1981; as with the Left in 1981 that thought Ronald Reagan a joke (think of the fictional Emmett Brown in Back to the Future who responds to Marty McFly sometime in the 1950s (time travel in case you nver saw the movie) telling him that Ronald Reagan is President of the US in 1985:

"Who's Secretary of Defense -- John Wayne? Is Jack Benny the Treasury Secretary?"

(no exact quote). That's how the Left saw Reagan in the 1980s -- a buffoon incompetent at leading a nation, a sick joke. Liberals may not like the direction in which America went, but Reagan was effective.

The Right has the rap on Obama: that he is extreme, but "wet-behind-the-ears". So far he has shown much the same political skills as Ronald Reagan, if for different purposes. Are the purposes right? We will find out soon.

The more relevant analogue to 2008 may be 1932, when the economy had been melting down with conservative, pro-business Republicans in charge. If the meltdown is less severe, it is at least in an earlier stage. Will Obama's stimulus package start things on the right direction? Time will tell. But if Herbert Hoover had a worse economic meltdown, Dubya is associated with corruption and abuse of power as well as culpability in the worst financial panic in nearly 80 years. A combination of corruption and economic failure is more damaging to the reputation of a Party than is an economic failure alone.

In the 1930s the Republicans became less hard-line about the New Deal... too late. Will the Republicans do much the same in the 2010s? Who knows?   
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2009, 05:24:21 AM »

I think that, after McCain's loss, Republican will chose a very conservative candidate. But this candidate will lose in 2012 by a biggest margin than McCain, and republicans will finally understand that ultraconservatism is dead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies