is it just me, or do all of the VPs suck?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:26:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  is it just me, or do all of the VPs suck?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is it just me, or do all of the VPs suck?  (Read 2033 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:10:27 AM »

the fields seem pretty poor this time around, far worse than 2000 or 2004.  can't put my finger on why.  maybe because I'm more of a cynic and nihilist this time around, or maybe I'm onto something.  especially with Webb withdrawing his name from consideration.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:11:06 AM »

Yeah, the field does suck.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 01:16:22 AM »

They suck especially for Obama because no one really fits the description of what he needs (who's interested/being considered): someone with perceived experience who is relatively old (but ideally young enough to run again in eight years) who opposed the Iraq War from the beginning.

Maybe I'm stressing the Iraq War thing too much, but Obama consistently asserted his moral authority over Clinton on that issue via his opposition to the war from the beginning. so it looks somewhat hypocritical to choose a person who voted for the iraq war. but maybe i'm the only one who thinks that.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:17:46 AM »

Russ Feingold fits all of your criteria perfectly although he'll never be chosen for obvious reasons.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:30:47 AM »

Webb was a crappy choice too if you consider some of the awful thing's he's passionately argued about in the past (that a co-ed military would be the end of the armed forces and "a horny woman's dream"). 

The selection is worse this time because obvious Washington insiders are excluded.  Which means you are required to select an "outsiders" who are obviously less experienced on average.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:06:04 AM »

Sounds like someone forgot about Carly Fiorina!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 02:08:11 AM »

They suck especially for Obama because no one really fits the description of what he needs (who's interested/being considered): someone with perceived experience who is relatively old (but ideally young enough to run again in eight years) who opposed the Iraq War from the beginning.

Reed is the only one who fits that description (among the plausible options).
MatthewZD
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -1.04

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 06:15:26 AM »

It seems like each person that's been mentioned has something about them that could be a problem. 

For example -- Romney's flip flopped a bit too much.  Jindal and Palin are too young and inexperienced.  Nunn is too old.  Crist is too single.  Biden and Dodd are DC insiders.  Pawlenty and Easley are not well known.  Romney and Clinton don't get along with their parties' presumptive nominees.  Clinton and Gingrich are, well, Clinton and Gingrich. 

There's no one perfect problem-free possibility for VP.  What McCain and Obama have to ask themselves if the pluses outweigh the minuses.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 01:00:23 AM »

I think its just you,  IMO both candidates have a great field to choose from.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 03:45:57 AM »

Yeah, there's so many possibilities out there.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 10:40:36 AM »

2004 was pretty awful too.

the finalists were gephardt and edwards.  ugh.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »

And the mighty Tom Vilsack!
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 11:50:04 AM »

Don't knock the Gep.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 12:02:36 PM »

Remember the great "Dewey wins" cover we had from the NY Post?:

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 01:05:54 PM »

LOL.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 01:51:49 PM »

It seems like each person that's been mentioned has something about them that could be a problem. 

For example -- Romney's flip flopped a bit too much.  Jindal and Palin are too young and inexperienced.  Nunn is too old.  Crist is too single.  Biden and Dodd are DC insiders.  Pawlenty and Easley are not well known.  Romney and Clinton don't get along with their parties' presumptive nominees.  Clinton and Gingrich are, well, Clinton and Gingrich. 

There's no one perfect problem-free possibility for VP.  What McCain and Obama have to ask themselves if the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Neither is Nunn, Crist, Biden, or Dodd. You have to be aware that most Americans don't know any politicans outside their homestate except sitting & former Presidents & VPs. Being picked causes your name ID to instantly shoot up to 95% anyway.

I will have to say though that with the exception of Pawlenty, Sanford, & maybe Thune, everyone that McCain is considering would be really awful to pick, many for reasons that aren't their own fault.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 02:03:55 PM »

I completely agree. Where have all the Schuyler Colfaxes and Dan Quayles gone?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 04:07:18 PM »

I think that both parties have good candidates for VP.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 01:02:16 AM »

People say this every four years.  In fact, most years they say it about the Presidential candidates too.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 04:40:05 AM »

It is not just you Tweed, it is I as well.

The calibre of the Vice Presidential candidates on both Democratic and Republican sides is terrible, worse than 2004, and we all know how bad that was for the Democrats, alas the ticket of Kerry/Edwards. Primarily due to both candidates needing to select Washington "outsiders" to balance the ticket, to comabat their Washington "insider" status. I have a growing suspicion that Senator Obama and McCain will both make Kerryesque mistakes and I might not be the only one.
MatthewZD
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -1.04

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 06:54:09 AM »

Neither is Nunn, Crist, Biden, or Dodd. You have to be aware that most Americans don't know any politicans outside their homestate except sitting & former Presidents & VPs. Being picked causes your name ID to instantly shoot up to 95% anyway.

I will have to say though that with the exception of Pawlenty, Sanford, & maybe Thune, everyone that McCain is considering would be really awful to pick, many for reasons that aren't their own fault.

Instead of "not well known" I should've said "virtually unknown".  That would apply to Pawlenty, Easley, Sanford, Crist, and Thune.  Nunn might take a bit of memory jogging, but I would imagine that Biden or Dodd might be a little more familiar having recently run for the Democratic nomination. 

Even so, I doubt we'll ever see another complete unknown a la Dan Quayle, thanks to 24/7 news coverage and the internet. 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 11:51:17 AM »

Instead of "not well known" I should've said "virtually unknown".  That would apply to Pawlenty, Easley, Sanford, Crist, and Thune.  Nunn might take a bit of memory jogging, but I would imagine that Biden or Dodd might be a little more familiar having recently run for the Democratic nomination. 

Even so, I doubt we'll ever see another complete unknown a la Dan Quayle, thanks to 24/7 news coverage and the internet. 

I agree that Biden & Dodd are somewhat better known, but I wonder how much. Neither were at all successful in their runs for president.

I mean, would it really be a significant advantage to be known as "that guy who was in the debate with Hillary & Obama" over not being known at all?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 12:09:49 PM »

I still have that issue. It's a great read.

Anyway, all the great choices for VP (and I guess even President) take their names out of consideration or are out of the question.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies