Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 01:02:41 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  1964: Who would you have voted for?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Lyndon or Barry?
Lyndon Johnson (D)   -19 (52.8%)
Barry Goldwater (R)   -17 (47.2%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: 1964: Who would you have voted for?  (Read 2659 times)
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2008, 08:18:03 pm »
Ignore

Because it hasn't been done yet Tongue

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
ChrisFromNJ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 08:42:32 pm »
Ignore

LBJ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Barry Goldwater.
Charles Darwin
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
South Africa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:48:27 pm »
Ignore

Johnson, reluctantly, with hindsight. Johnson without a doubt without hindsight.

Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
YaBB God
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:01:19 pm »
Ignore

Wallace.

"348. The rest of the party appreciates it if I don't start the game in Cyberpsychosis."
"I will kill 120,000 people" ~ Barack Obama
The United States is not only the world's first suburban nation, but it will also be its last. The world cannot sustain any more economies like ours. - Kenneth T. Jackson
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:07:01 pm »
Ignore

Lyndon B. Johnson (D)

Considering that I would have been disgusted with Goldwater's politics and rhetoric at the time, I would have easily cast my ballot for incumbent President Lyndon B. Johnson. However, if the Barry Goldwater nominated at Cow Palace in 1964 was indeed the libertarian one he became during the 1980's, then I would have easily voted for Goldwater. A bit strange eh?

Here's to the State of Richard Nixon

Some things are better left covered up.
Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:10:12 pm »
Ignore

Johnson.
Ronnie
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 10:24:15 pm »
Ignore

Goldwater is one of my political heroes, so definitely him.

Born and raised in California
Colin
ColinW
YaBB God
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 10:54:24 pm »
Ignore

However, if the Barry Goldwater nominated at Cow Palace in 1964 was indeed the libertarian one he became during the 1980's, then I would have easily voted for Goldwater. A bit strange eh?

He was, what changed were the issues. Barry Goldwater, for example, helped found Planned Parenthood of Arizona back in the early 1950s, as one example of his social libertarianism, however issues of this sort were truly mute in the political climate of 1964. His vote against the Civil Rights Act is highly unsettling, though no one who ever met Goldwater thought that he was a racist and he seemed genuine when he stated his reasons were a strong support for states' rights. As the political culture moved away from economic issues and onto social and cultural issues in the late 70s, the libertarian political ideology of Goldwater became more pronounced. The Goldwater who wanted to kick Jerry Falwell's ass and voted in favour of gays serving in the military is almost certainly nearly the same Goldwater, politically, as the 1964 presidential candidate.

I vote Goldwater by the way, an easy decision for me.

"God protects fools, drunks, and the United States of America" - Otto Von Bismarck

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful." - Seneca the Younger

Quote from: Conservapedia
Thanks to Bryan's victory in the Scopes trial, Tennessee voters have been educated without oppressive evolution theory for 75 years. Free from the liberal indoctrination, Tennessee voted against native son Al Gore in the 2000 Presidential election.
go85bucks10
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -1.04

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 12:06:48 am »
Ignore

I would have voted for Goldwater but in a calculating way. Overall, I would agree with him on almost every issue. Johnson's economic great society programs were all wasteful disasters in the long run. Vietnam was terrible. Our economy started taking a dive with Johnson and never really recovered until Reagan (or even post Reagan). I can't imagine the world today without the Voting Rights Act though. In the constitution, every state is guaranteed a "republican" form of government. And in reality, a state does not have a republican form of government if a large and significant portion of the population does not have the right to vote in most elections.
    I could not vote for Johnson though and looking back at the numbers in the house and senate, they would have passed the Voting Rights Act over a Goldwater Veto anyway (if he would have vetoed it, which I am not so sure he would have). Even though I disagree with Goldwater on his issue about the two crucial Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1965, I can calculatingly say today that I would have voted for him due to the circumstances on the floor of the Senate and House (not to mention how liberal the supreme court was also).

Economic score: +6.84
Social score: -1.04
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 03:30:51 pm »
Ignore

Johnson, of course.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 03:33:55 pm »
Ignore

If I voted in 1964: Toss up, leaning Goldwater
With hindsight: Goldwater easily

tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 04:27:34 pm »
Ignore

neither

in a mirror, dimly lit
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 05:18:06 pm »
Ignore

Go with Goldwater, oh Go with Goldwater. Barry's the man of our land.

You can probably guess, I vote Goldwater

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=195483.new#new
the birth of modern america & onward election Former Vice President Blanche Bruce defeats incumbent President Grover Cleveland in 1904. In an age of unpredictable election outcomes Bruce finds himself reelected in 1908 against an opponent whose name escapes me at the moment. Blanche Bruce served as Vice President under Frederick Douglas whom Cleveland defeated in 1900. His Vice President runs to replace Bruce in 1912.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 05:26:24 pm »
Ignore

Why? Your PM score seems nothing near libertarian.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 06:20:33 pm »
Ignore

I have never cared for LBJ personally. Though it was a sure thing that johnson would have defeated Goldwater in 1964.

the birth of modern america & onward election Former Vice President Blanche Bruce defeats incumbent President Grover Cleveland in 1904. In an age of unpredictable election outcomes Bruce finds himself reelected in 1908 against an opponent whose name escapes me at the moment. Blanche Bruce served as Vice President under Frederick Douglas whom Cleveland defeated in 1900. His Vice President runs to replace Bruce in 1912.
Daniel Adams
YaBB God
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 06:28:07 pm »
Ignore

Goldwater's social libertarian streak came during the '80s, in his final Senate term. During the 1964 campaign, Goldwater talked about the laws of God and nature and about the moral order just like any modern day conservative. He declared that "[t]he moral fiber of the American people is beset by rot and decay" and called for a "reconstruction of reverence and moral strength." Liberals during the election derided him as a "half-crazed moral zealot".

On specific issues, Goldwater was clearly a social conservative in 1964. He supported voluntary prayer in public schools during the presidential election, reversing this position in 1984. Although it was a minor issue in the campaign, Goldwater opposed abortion, and continued doing so well into the '70s (he endorsed the Human Life Amendment in 1980). Only late in his Senate term did he succumb to his wife's pro-choice position. He opposed gay "rights" throughout his Senate term and changed his position six years after his Senate term ended.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 06:33:34 pm »
Ignore

Read what Colin said.

Update reading list

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 06:36:27 pm »
Ignore

Read what Colin said.
so apparently, it was not me who was wrong about Goldwater, but it was you who was wrong about him.

Daniel Adams
YaBB God
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 06:44:19 pm »
Ignore

Read what Colin said.
Well, he's wrong, frankly. I have given specific examples of Goldwater's pre-1980s social conservatism including quotes from his 1964 campaign. If one actually reads what Goldwater believed during most of his political career instead of making giant extrapolations, the statement that "the Goldwater who wanted to kick Jerry Falwell's ass and voted in favour of gays serving in the military is almost certainly nearly the same Goldwater, politically, as the 1964 presidential candidate" is clearly ludicrous. Colin is also factually incorrect when he says that Goldwater was one of the founders of Planned Parenthood of Arizona; it was actually Goldwater's wife who was one of the founders.
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 06:51:21 pm »
Ignore

LBJ

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

ChrisFromNJ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 09:57:15 pm »
Ignore

LBJ was the last true liberal president.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout