Smid's Diplomacy Game Thread #1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:57:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Smid's Diplomacy Game Thread #1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Author Topic: Smid's Diplomacy Game Thread #1  (Read 101657 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2008, 08:25:23 AM »

France
F Brest - Mid-Atlantic Ocean (*Bounce*)
A Burgundy - Munich (*Fails*)
A Gascony - Burgundy (*Fails*)
A Kiel Supports A Munich - Berlin (*Dislodged*)
A Munich - Berlin (*Fails*)
F Picardy - English Channel (*Fails*)
A Portugal - Spain

Russia
F Ankara - Black Sea
A Armenia - Smyrna
F Baltic Sea Supports A Berlin
A Budapest - Rumania (*Fails*)
A Rumania - Bulgaria (*Bounce*)
F Sweden Hold
A Vienna Hold

Italy
F Ionaian Sea - Greece
A Serbia Supports F Ionian Sea - Greece
A Trieste - Albania
F Tunis - Ionian Sea
F Tyrrhenian Sea Supports F Tunis - Ionian Sea

Germany
A Berlin Holds

Austria-Hungary
A Bohemia - Munich (*Bounce*)

Turkey
F Adriatic Sea Convoys A Albania - Venice
A Albania - Venice
A Constantinople - Bulgaria (*Bounce*)
F Greece Supports A Constantinople - Bulgaria (*Dislodged*)

England
F Belgium Supports F English Channel
A Denmark - Kiel
F nglish Channel Supports F North Atlantic Ocean - Mid-Atlantic Ocean
F Holland Supports A Denmark - Kiel
F North Atlantic Ocean - Mid-Atlantic Ocean (*Bounce*)
F North Sea Supports F Belgium
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2008, 08:34:31 AM »

There are two retreats required:

Turkish fleet in Greece and French army in Kiel. I'm pretty sure I have provisional retreats for each of those, but I'll finalise them tomorrow when I get home after work.

In the meantime, the build numbers are:

France
Remove 1

Russia
Build 2

Italy
Build 1

Germany
No change

Austria-Hungary
Remove 1

Turkey
No change

England
Build 2

Austria marks its exodus from the game.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »

I'll read the rules closer the next time. *grumbles*
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2008, 09:54:18 AM »

One thing that's interesting to note - although Austria's last-ditch march on Munich failed, it still impacted on the game, cutting French support of Kiel, resulting in England's capture of that province.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2008, 11:03:29 AM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »

One thing that's interesting to note - although Austria's last-ditch march on Munich failed, it still impacted on the game, cutting French support of Kiel, resulting in England's capture of that province.
Yes. That was the point.
You may say that I summoned the Army of the Dead to the Stone of Munich. Grin
Thanks Xahar!

Turkish fleet in Greece and French army in Kiel. I'm pretty sure I have provisional retreats for each of those
Besides, there's only one option each (not counting dissolution).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2008, 02:06:51 PM »

Yes. That was the point.
You may say that I summoned the Army of the Dead to the Stone of Munich. Grin
Thanks Xahar!

Any time (well, not really, I'm dead).
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2008, 07:39:28 PM »

Turkish fleet in Greece and French army in Kiel. I'm pretty sure I have provisional retreats for each of those
Besides, there's only one option each (not counting dissolution).
[/quote]

Yes - France retreats to Ruhr and Turkey to the Aegean. I'll update the map after work this evening (possibly later in the evening rather than earlier - I'm taking a dance class with my fiancee and its our first lesson tonight).

If anyone still wants to update their build orders, you'll have until then - otherwise I'll just go with whatever you've sent me previously.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2008, 10:25:52 PM »

Actually, Munich was moving and not supporting, so the final, valiant Bohemian thrust was without effect. Sad
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »

Actually, Munich was moving and not supporting, so the final, valiant Bohemian thrust was without effect. Sad

That was indeed the case, you are correct, my mistake.

Here are the build orders:

France
Disband A Spain

Russia
Build A Warsaw
Build A Sevastopol

Italy
Build A Rome

Germany
No Change

Austria-Hungary
Disband A Bohemia

Turkey
No Change

England
Build F London
Build A Edinburgh

The map therefore showed the following builds:

And with the builds resolved, the map now appears thus:

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2008, 02:19:41 AM »

Can you move an army from Norway to St. Petersburg?

One of our assignments in a political science class is to defeat other groups at this game.  I typed overly-long messages to people as Germany and I think they attacked me because they were annoyed by my over-strategizing.  I read hundreds of pages of Diplomacy strategy and would write up pages to various countries.

Have to convince England to do this move to stop Russia.  I'm interested in the next round if there's a spot too here.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2008, 06:50:22 AM »

Certainly.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2008, 09:17:04 AM »

One of our assignments in a political science class is to defeat other groups at this game.  I typed overly-long messages to people as Germany and I think they attacked me because they were annoyed by my over-strategizing.  I read hundreds of pages of Diplomacy strategy and would write up pages to various countries.

Have to convince England to do this move to stop Russia.  I'm interested in the next round if there's a spot too here.

St Petersburg and Norway share a common border. An army can certainly march there, likewise a fleet can sail from Norway to St Petersburg (north coast).

I'd be happy to GM again in a future game, so long as the everyone's happy with my adjudication. I'm sure there'll be spots open in the next game - I won't start it up until this one's finished, or extremely close to being finished (on the approval of the players remaining in this game) unless there's enough support for a second game to have another one start up.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »

St Petersburg and Norway share a common border. An army can certainly march there, likewise a fleet can sail from Norway to St Petersburg (north coast).

I'd be happy to GM again in a future game, so long as the everyone's happy with my adjudication. I'm sure there'll be spots open in the next game - I won't start it up until this one's finished, or extremely close to being finished (on the approval of the players remaining in this game) unless there's enough support for a second game to have another one start up.

One game at a time, methinks.

Maybe players in the current game can automatically go to the back of the line for the next game, to let newcomers like Lunar (and I think PiT expressed interest in another thread) a chance to get in.

I shouldn't be surprised that Lunar likes this game.  It's sad to me how few people have heard of Diplomacy.

Hell, maybe if I get into the next game, I won't be Italy!  Wink 
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »

Maybe players in the current game can automatically go to the back of the line for the next game, to let newcomers like Lunar (and I think PiT expressed interest in another thread) a chance to get in.

I shouldn't be surprised that Lunar likes this game.  It's sad to me how few people have heard of Diplomacy.

Good idea of putting current players at the back of the line, my only concern is that if we only have 8 or 9 people wishing to join in, it becomes difficult to figure out which current players to include in the next game (unless some want to sit out). One game at a time is the best way to do it - otherwise if people are in more than one game, it can be difficult to remember who you're plotting with in what game, etc, plus it will dramatically increase the complexity of my Sunday, and particularly in trying to figure out which moves belong to which game. I might bump the other diplo thread again, or better yet, make a new "Diplomacy Registration" thread.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2008, 05:52:27 AM »

Good idea of putting current players at the back of the line, my only concern is that if we only have 8 or 9 people wishing to join in, it becomes difficult to figure out which current players to include in the next game (unless some want to sit out). One game at a time is the best way to do it - otherwise if people are in more than one game, it can be difficult to remember who you're plotting with in what game, etc, plus it will dramatically increase the complexity of my Sunday, and particularly in trying to figure out which moves belong to which game. I might bump the other diplo thread again, or better yet, make a new "Diplomacy Registration" thread.

When Joe did Risk he would let the winner stay on. In a similar fashion you could let those who survived longest stay on if there are empty spots (and put on quarantine those who did not, ahem, live up to their responsibilities). Not that I have any sort of vested interest in the above proposal, of course. Wink
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2008, 07:29:29 AM »

When Joe did Risk he would let the winner stay on. In a similar fashion you could let those who survived longest stay on if there are empty spots (and put on quarantine those who did not, ahem, live up to their responsibilities). Not that I have any sort of vested interest in the above proposal, of course. Wink

I'd been considering that as an option, my only concern with it would be that it may prevent less experienced players gaining experience, although I think it would be unfair to penalise someone for doing well - that's what the Democrats are for... (only kidding, this is a non-partisan thread). I think it's best to allow people who did well in the last game to have first dibs in the next game, or second dibs really (after those who didn't get to play in the last game).

Muon - what's your advice?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2008, 08:56:26 AM »

The system I would advocate would be to prioritize new-comers (maybe with the exception of the ruling champion, though that is up to you), then players in the last game in order of finishing position, with misbehaves last (I think that if someone let their nation fall into civil disorder in the beginning of the game it would only be fair to help insure the next round's players against it happening again).
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2008, 07:00:37 PM »

I've uploaded the maps into the gallery. I'm about to head to church - when I get back I'll put them into the thread with everyone's orders, but they are in the gallery if anyone wants to take first glances. There is only one retreat required - the Italian fleet in the Ionian has been dislodged by the Turkish fleet formerly known in the Aegean.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2008, 12:39:23 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2008, 09:35:56 AM by Smid »

The moves for Spring 1904 are:

France
F Brest - Mid-Atlantic Ocean
A Burgundy Hold
A Gascony - Marseilles
A Munich Supports F Baltic Sea - Berline (*Void*)
F Picardy - Brest
A Ruhr Supports A Munich

Russia
F Baltic Sea - Denmark (*Bounce*)
F Black Sea Supports A Smyrna - Ankara
A Budapest Supports A Vienna - Trieste
A Rumania - Bulgaria
A Sevastopol - Armenia
A Smyrna - Ankara
F Sweden - Norway (*Bounce*)
A Vienna - Trieste (*Bounce*)
A Warsaw - Prussia

Italy
A Albania - Trieste (*Bounce*)
F Greece Supports A Rumania - Bulgaria
F Ionian Sea - Aegean Sea (*Dislodged*)
A Rome - Venice (*Fails*)
A Serbia Supports A Albania - Trieste
F Tyrrhenian Sea Hold

Germany
A Berlin NMR

Austria-Hungary

Turkey
F Adriatic Sea Supports F Aegean Sea - Ionian Sea
F Aegean Sea - Ionian Sea
A Constantinople Supports A Rumania - Bulgaria
A Venice Supports A Vienna - Trieste (*Cut*)

England
F Beligium - Holland (*Fails*)
A Edinburgh - Norway (*Bounce*)
F English Channel - Belgium (*Fails*)
F Holland - Kiel (*Fails*)
A Kiel - Denmark (*Bounce*)
F London - English Channel (*Fails*)
F North Atlantic Ocean - Norwegian Sea
F North Sea Convoys A Edinburgh - Norway

Resolved, the map looks thus:

Italy needs to retreat the Fleet in the Ionian Sea. Mikado, since yours is the only retreat, you can probably post it in here, rather than PM'ing it to me.

So before retreats, but after everything's moved:

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2008, 07:00:33 AM »

The moves for Spring 1904 are:

England
F Beligium - Holland (*Fails*)
A Edinburgh - Norway (*Bounce*)
F English Channel - Belgium (*Fails*)
F Holland - Kiel (*Fails*)
A Kiel - Denmark (*Bounce*)
F London - English Channel (*Fails*)
F North Atlantic Ocean - Norwegian Sea
F North Sea Convoys A Edinburgh - Norway

The long sequence of fleet bounces was in part due to a key move by F Hol in the sequence. By changing only F Hol - Hel, the chain of fleets Lon, Eng, Bel, Hol would have all advanced instead of bouncing while changing none of the defensive capabilities presented by those moves.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2008, 07:54:47 AM »

Except if Gustaf had moved for Kiel instead of Denmark.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2008, 12:24:05 PM »

There are at least SOME limits to the extent that you can dupe me, you know. Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2008, 12:27:05 PM »

There are at least SOME limits to the extent that you can dupe me, you know. Tongue
Yeah... guarding against such a move on your part was probably a mistake on my part. Grin
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2008, 03:08:09 PM »

Somebody destroy Germany. Please?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to: