Department of Forum Affairs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:06:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Department of Forum Affairs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Department of Forum Affairs  (Read 71450 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 04, 2009, 01:24:26 PM »

How often are edits to the voter rolls done?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 07:21:58 PM »

Random error: I'm listed in the right state but wrong region.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 11:12:24 PM »

Thanks  Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:33:39 PM »

So what's the number of days registered requirement for voting on constitutional amendments (and why hasn't a Northeast opened a voting booth for the death penalty amendment)?  If someone votes early to make sure their vote gets in (but would be eligible at the end of the voting period), is it still counted?

I like how people voted for Andrew over me because I wasn't "active" enough. lolz

You really don't get to make those jokes while you refuse to appoint a nominee to the vacant GM position.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:44:17 PM »

So what's the number of days registered requirement for voting on constitutional amendments (and why hasn't a Northeast opened a voting booth for the death penalty amendment)?  If someone votes early to make sure their vote gets in (but would be eligible at the end of the voting period), is it still counted?

I like how people voted for Andrew over me because I wasn't "active" enough. lolz

You really don't get to make those jokes while you refuse to appoint a nominee to the vacant GM position.

Uh oh, looks like I struck a nerve!

So far I've only found one qualified person for the position, but he wasn't interested! Sad

Tends to happen when people refuse to do their jobs and then harp on others for the same infraction.

And I have no PMs in my box from you. I would be happy to make a recommendation for the position, given that you respect me some much.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »

Uh oh, looks like I struck a nerve!

So far I've only found one qualified person for the position, but he wasn't interested! Sad

Tends to happen when people refuse to do their jobs and then harp on others for the same infraction.

I'm not required to appoint a GM, newb. The seven Presidents immediately preceding me did not appoint any.

I didn't say it was required, nor was I justifying the actions of your predecessors. I said it was your job, unless you plan on introducing legislation to repeal the GM Act. Of course, that would require you take some sort of initiative with the Senate and *gasp* interact with us!
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:39:39 PM »

I'll have this debate for as long as it takes, through lawsuits and dialogue. I support both of your candidacies and greatly appreciate your views on GM reform. I am looking forward to passing legislation in the next Senate to fully form and establish the position.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 12:37:28 PM »

Shouldn't I win then too because I had more first prefs that Fritz?

That's what I thought as well.

The only ballot I'm still upset about is Gustaf. 

I agree. If BK's vote counts...
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 01:00:33 AM »

Even if I were to accept your characterization (which I don't, necessarily) ignorance of the law or a "mistake" is not a defense, as my prosecution of Ben for his supposedly accidental violation of his voting ban proves. It doesn't count.
It was an accident. Gustaf has always been an honest, fair person. I believe what he said, because he has built up this reputation.
This is a fantasy, we must keep that in mind. People shouldn't be getting so serious of little mistakes.

It. Doesn't. Matter.

He voted twice, voting twice is against the law, case closed. I've prosecuted a case with a similar defense and the court didn't care. "Mistake" or no "mistake" the only proof we have is his word, and it doesn't matter either way. Drop it.

That's the point. No exceptions. The law is the law. We have no provisions for the internet doing funky stuff. Unless the SoFA is given that sort of discretion (which I don't believe he is), whether you got screwed by the internet or not shouldn't matter at all. You broke the law, pure and simple, and so your vote should not be valid.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »

Our three cases were a matter of provable and witnessed voting disenfranchisement because of the voting booth. We have, again, no such proof of that at all with Gustaf, and ignorance of the law isn't a defense.

I agree, ignorance is no defense. My point is that no where in any statute does it account for allowing would-be invalidated votes to count as valid due to technical difficulties or unavoidable disenfranchisement. You could have all the proof in the world, but we are going by the discretion of the SoFA, not anything based in law.

Based on that, I believe that none of those votes should be counted. Making exceptions not backed up by statute slips into a dangerous territory, as evidenced by the controversy over whether to count Gustaf's vote.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 09:01:48 PM »

I await the distinguished SoFA's certification of the election, so that I may be sworn in and begin my work in the Senate.

So are we. We need you to break a tied vote on an amendment.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 10:01:31 AM »

My global protest is just that I don't want to see many legal disputes AFTER the vote (and because results wouldn't please here or there Smiley ), artificially based on formal reasons (whereas Hamilton did what he thought fine to do, with the SoFA being unclear and absent), as almost the entire process might be questionned.

Tisk... disputing the SoFA's decisions is a hallowed and long-practiced Atlasian institution! It's at least as important as the elections themselves. The more obscure the nature of the challenge the better! Grin

And you and Peter are the best at it, Jas.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:30 AM »

Whilst certainly I do notice errors/oversights by the SoFAs, I do try not to raise them in a way that is too critical of the SoFA, and would only challenge an election in Court if the error really did cause a disadvantage to one candidate. Ultimately I always try to remedy the Law to make it easier for SoFAs to do their job - I think the 7 day notice requirement is one that could do with shortening certainly.

A lot of our electoral law seems dense and unnecessary; however, it is is clear how difficult it is to change the law, not by statute, but in practice. Given the difficult nature of the job given the SoFA, a major upheaval could cause more confusion than is worth the change.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »

I thought it was always midnight.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »

So... When does voting begin? I think this is the first election since the Senate passed that change in procedure and I'm confused.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 12:18:46 AM »

So... When does voting begin? I think this is the first election since the Senate passed that change in procedure and I'm confused.

It's the second, actually. Basically we're in the absentee period. No one has come forward suggesting they will be gone this coming weekend.

So voting still starts this coming Friday and ends next Sunday. So I'll be around for some chunk of that time. Thanks Earl.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 12:25:28 AM »

Basically, the Department has yet to create a policy for dealing with this period, because we have no precedent for people wanting to vote absentee during the absentee period. Until someone complains, we will continue with regular departmental activities.

Perhaps publish some sort of notice to let people know the period is open.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 12:31:57 AM »

Basically, the Department has yet to create a policy for dealing with this period, because we have no precedent for people wanting to vote absentee during the absentee period. Until someone complains, we will continue with regular departmental activities.

Perhaps publish some sort of notice to let people know the period is open.

Alright,

OFFICIAL DEPARTMENT OF FORUM AFFAIRS NOTICE

The absentee period has begun for the upcoming Presidential and Senatorial elections which will occur October 22-25. If you will be away during this period, and unable to vote, please indicate this, so that an absentee ballot may be given to you.

How's that? Smiley

Much appreciated. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies