Gas prices have dropped...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:34:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gas prices have dropped...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gas prices have dropped...  (Read 3259 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2008, 06:48:33 PM »

Here in Oklahoma City, the gas prices have come down about a dime from an average of $3.90 to $3.80.  The highest I've seen is $3.87 and the lowest I've seen is $3.75.  Hopefully, with this $18 drop in oil off its record highs earlier last week, we'll see some relief across the rest of the country.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:12:16 PM »

Of course they went down but I doubt it will get below $4 ever again here in California. I will guarantee you that by next  summer the price will be on average above $5.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:15:13 PM »

Of course they went down but I doubt it will get below $4 ever again here in California. I will guarantee you that by next  summer the price will be on average above $5.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 07:39:01 PM »

Hooray! Let's get out there and buy a Hummer and act like we own all the highways!
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 07:39:20 PM »

$4.20 here. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:40:15 PM »

I paid $4.25 on Kiawah yesterday. Oil has dropped big time over the past few days, though.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 07:47:30 PM »

Shock!

Despite what the media loves to crow about, gas prices have peaked in May and June every year for a while now. They always come back down by winter, but not as low as they were the previous winter. (My guess is that the national average drops to about $3.50 by December, and then approaches $5 next spring.)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 07:51:53 PM »

Shock!

Despite what the media loves to crow about, gas prices have peaked in May and June every year for a while now. They always come back down by winter, but not as low as they were the previous winter. (My guess is that the national average drops to about $3.50 by December, and then approaches $5 next spring.)

That is part of the game, no?  Get the masses pining for the good old days of $4.00 a gallon?  I remember thinking, a few weeks ago, that I was so lucky to get gas at $4.06.  I was mugged once and the gunman gave me a dollar back so I'd get on the bus instead of calling a cop.  Kinda the same thing.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 08:29:17 PM »

The highest they've been here is $3.92/gallon, and that was yesterday.  I haven't seen the prices today.

Most of our gas comes from the Canadia.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 09:06:42 PM »

Still 4.05 here.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 05:50:48 AM »

9 dollars over here, so stop whining Wink
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 05:54:15 AM »

WE needs our crack mang, we neeeds it.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 06:01:02 AM »

And your public transportation is no-existing in many areas, I know that, but the low petrolprises has for many years lulled the Americans into an illusion and made it possible to keep overusing heavily. Every American lets out twice as much CO2 every year as a Dane (and we are quite the bad boys in Europe). The US energy consumption could easily be cut by 25% in a very short time if you guys started to realise that energy isn't suppossed to be cheap.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 06:07:19 AM »

$3.90 here...im actually kinda excited haha. How sad.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 06:22:18 AM »

And your public transportation is no-existing in many areas, I know that, but the low petrolprises has for many years lulled the Americans into an illusion and made it possible to keep overusing heavily. Every American lets out twice as much CO2 every year as a Dane (and we are quite the bad boys in Europe). The US energy consumption could easily be cut by 25% in a very short time if you guys started to realise that energy isn't suppossed to be cheap.

Try convincing the republicans of that. Those retards just want to keep drilling our own graves. And then we got the retard "liberals" who want to protect the birds from the windfarms and their views on the beach. Its just a sea of retards over here man.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 07:29:18 AM »

8.50 here
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 09:09:44 AM »

Try convincing the republicans of that. Those retards just want to keep drilling our own graves. And then we got the retard "liberals" who want to protect the birds from the windfarms and their views on the beach. Its just a sea of retards over here man.

I don't see how anyone can say energy is 'supposed to be' cheap or expensive.  Obviously we who buy it would always prefer that it be cheap. 

Also, how could energy consumption be cut by 25%?  That's a highly unrealistic goal, unless you mean by reducing economic activity by 25% also.  That may happen, but it will be a human disaster.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 12:08:15 PM »

Energy consumption could be cut 25% of more with the right leadership in government, corporations, and individually, but certainly not in a "very short time." Maybe a very short time in comparison to the long haul. Raising and enforcing fuel efficiency standards, researching and implementing new technologies in private and public sectors, and changing your own personal habits are all ways to at least set us on that path. It will take time for this to add up substantially, of course, but it by no means would be an economic/human disaster. In fact, with high energy prices inspiring this kind of change, it would likely result in a need for more new jobs. But, as I said, the right leadership is key.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 12:09:29 PM »

If we had a Manhattan project level effort combined with the right judges in place for state/federal courts(blocking green/NIMBY attempts to stall it) we could pull it off in under a decade.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 12:14:14 PM »

I don't see how anyone can say energy is 'supposed to be' cheap or expensive.  Obviously we who buy it would always prefer that it be cheap. 

Also, how could energy consumption be cut by 25%?  That's a highly unrealistic goal, unless you mean by reducing economic activity by 25% also.  That may happen, but it will be a human disaster.
Not really. Your personal energy consumption can be reduced very easily.

For example:

Only put the light on in the room you're in and turn it of when you leave a room.
Turn of TV, DVD-player ect on the switch. (you'll be amazed how much gadgets use when in standby)
Walk or take the bicycle for the short trips.
switch the light bulbs with  low energy light bulbs
When cold, put on a sweater instead of turning up the heat
Just to name a few.

I'm also pretty sure that American companies can save a lot if they focus on energy consumption. 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 12:57:09 PM »

I always complain about gas being $4.50 where I live, until I realize how much higher it is in Europe. The city has good public transportation, but buses tend to get crowded & tend to be really slow.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »

4.84 here.

Good deal more expensive than in the States, but about half of Europe's prices.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 10:52:58 AM »

Prices have been unsustainably high for a while now. Hopefully, the oil bubble will fully burst and we can be back to more reasonable prices.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »

Not really. Your personal energy consumption can be reduced very easily.

For example:

Only put the light on in the room you're in and turn it of when you leave a room.
Turn of TV, DVD-player ect on the switch. (you'll be amazed how much gadgets use when in standby)
Just to name a few.

I'm also pretty sure that American companies can save a lot if they focus on energy consumption. 

Ok, I already do all those things except for the bicycle, and anyway I use a small motorbike for short trips so its almost the same thing.

But two points - firstly, the suggestions you make would not reduce consumption by 25%, and anyway we don't need to reduce electricity consumption - we have plenty of that and cheap (coal, hydro, nuclear, etc.)  It is transport that is the insoluble problem at present.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 11:55:03 AM »

Just to name a few.
I'm always amazed these things aren't done by normal people already.  What kind of adult goes around leaving lights on?  Didn't your dad's yell at you when you left a light on?  And what kind of moron still uses incandescent bulbs?  There are still people, in late July 2008, buying Escalade's and Hummer's.  How are people this stupid able to accumulate enough money/credit to purchase such large items?  There is way to much money, credit and ignorance in this country.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies