Gas prices have dropped...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:05:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gas prices have dropped...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gas prices have dropped...  (Read 3258 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »

Prices have been unsustainably high for a while now. Hopefully, the oil bubble will fully burst and we can be back to more reasonable prices.

Too bad there isn't a lot of slack capacity in the ground, is there?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 02:41:28 PM »

1,21 here yesterday.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

I went away and my gas station dropped from $3.98 (all-time high) to $3.89.  More drop expected this week, I pledge to not pay for $4 for a gallon of gasoline as long as possible.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 03:02:53 PM »

I switched to public transportation and my monthly bill has dropped from $200 to $100. Also affords me a chance to read the newspaper. Suck y'all!
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »

still about $4.30 here, it may have dropped a cent or two but I haven't noticed.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008, 03:45:44 AM »

Not really. Your personal energy consumption can be reduced very easily.

For example:

Only put the light on in the room you're in and turn it of when you leave a room.
Turn of TV, DVD-player ect on the switch. (you'll be amazed how much gadgets use when in standby)
Walk or take the bicycle for the short trips.
switch the light bulbs with  low energy light bulbs
When cold, put on a sweater instead of turning up the heat
Just to name a few.

I'm also pretty sure that American companies can save a lot if they focus on energy consumption. 

Ok, I already do all those things except for the bicycle, and anyway I use a small motorbike for short trips so its almost the same thing.

But two points - firstly, the suggestions you make would not reduce consumption by 25%, and anyway we don't need to reduce electricity consumption - we have plenty of that and cheap (coal, hydro, nuclear, etc.)  It is transport that is the insoluble problem at present.
I did just name a few. Another major improvement would be better insolation in American houses. You would be amazed to se the difference new thermo-windoes (I have no idea what you call those in the US) would do -
You do need to reduce electricity consumption overall. Transportation only amounts for about 30-35% of the overall consumption. All in all Americans have a very low energy efficientcy. That is why I'm quite sure that you could reduce your energy consumption with at least 25% fairly quickly.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 04:12:20 AM »

Only put the light on in the room you're in and turn it of when you leave a room.
Turn of TV, DVD-player ect on the switch. (you'll be amazed how much gadgets use when in standby)
Walk or take the bicycle for the short trips.
switch the light bulbs with  low energy light bulbs
When cold, put on a sweater instead of turning up the heat
Just to name a few.
I'm always amazed these things aren't done by normal people already.  What kind of adult goes around leaving lights on?  Didn't your dad's yell at you when you left a light on?  And what kind of moron still uses incandescent bulbs?  There are still people, in late July 2008, buying Escalade's and Hummer's.  How are people this stupid able to accumulate enough money/credit to purchase such large items?  There is way to much money, credit and ignorance in this country.
Don't forget those lovely airconditioning thingies in your homes and at work - and heated swimming pools
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 04:33:37 AM »

A/C is damn near a necessity for much of the US in the summer months.  We got a new unit two summers ago and it cut huge chunks into our electric bill.  I'm sure it's already paid for itself in savings.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 06:18:29 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2008, 08:45:03 AM by Jens »

A/C is damn near a necessity for much of the US in the summer months.  We got a new unit two summers ago and it cut huge chunks into our electric bill.  I'm sure it's already paid for itself in savings.
First: temperature levels. When it is 40 celcius outside, not put the aircon on 22 celcius inside.Wink not saying you do it, but I have experience that many places in Europa and Africa (not the US since I've never been to USA in the summer)
Second: Alternatives. There are quite good air cooling alternatives already on the marked, for example using (sea)water for cooling. The new Royal Danish Playhouse uses this kind of cooling. Right now it is probably more suited for office buildings, but I'm quite sure that given some years and a fair amount of private demands for cooling alternatives, aircons using water heat difference or earth heat difference will be available for the commom man. (I really don't know wheather these things are available since very few Danish homes uses aircons)

EDIT:

Found an English version of the system used in the Royal Danish Playhouse: Energy concept for the Royal Danish Theatre
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »

Sure, reducing speculation may make gas prices drop temporarily to $2.00 but keep in mind it'd slowly creep back up to $4.00 due to high demand from India/china.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 11:43:19 AM »

We had a drop too, it went from $4.29 to $3.96.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies