1968: Humphrey/Rockefeller vs. Nixon/Agnew vs. Wallace/LeMay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:22:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: Humphrey/Rockefeller vs. Nixon/Agnew vs. Wallace/LeMay
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968: Humphrey/Rockefeller vs. Nixon/Agnew vs. Wallace/LeMay  (Read 2684 times)
cmt
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2008, 02:22:15 PM »

In the book "Flawed Giant" about LBJ author Robert Dalleck writes about HHH offering the VP nomination to Nelson Rockefeller, the liberal governor of NY, as a kind of unity ticket in that year of division of 1968.  Rockefeller was a good friend of both HHH and LBJ and considered the offer, but finally declined.  What if...he didn't?  What might have happened.  I think it may have produced a popular vote winner for HHH but Nixon still would have been ahead in the electoral vote--and it would have gone to the house, and HHH would have been elected.  I think it might have had the most effect in the East and Pacific states.  I believe that such states as New Jersey and Delaware, which went narrowly to Nixon might have gone to Humphrey.  I feel that California and Oregon might have been swung to HHH as well.  However, I give Maine (which went dem only becuz of Muskie in '68) and Texas to Nixon.

I believe the popular vote would have been 265 (Nixon) to 228 (Humphrey) to 45 (Wallace).
cmt
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:36:24 PM »

Yes, it's possible that LBJ could have pulled Texas out for HHH/Rockefeller in '68.  I'll concede that point.  If so the electoral vote would have been slightly in Hubert's favor.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »

True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 05:38:27 PM »

277-216-45

Probably being too generous to HHH, but whatever.
go85bucks10
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -1.04

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 02:31:15 AM »

This is a question for benconstine, in your map you have North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee going for Wallace in this scenario, why do you think that would have happened?

It seems that the situation wouldn't have changed much. In those three states, the Wallace Voters were going to vote for Wallace and if not for Wallace they would vote Nixon regardless of whom Hubert Humphrey's VP would have been (barring a segregationist on the ticket which would never have happened).    Adding a liberal republican governor from New York that supported civil rights would not have sucked votes from Nixon to Humphrey enough to allow Wallace to win in either of these states (maybe Tennessee).

And I don't see how Hubert Humphrey adding Rockefeller would in any way increase Wallace's voter turnout or shift Humphrey voters to Wallace, or Nixon's voters to Wallace.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies