Fed's to withhold funds to schools if they don't play ball... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:22:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Fed's to withhold funds to schools if they don't play ball... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fed's to withhold funds to schools if they don't play ball...  (Read 2925 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: July 21, 2008, 02:17:15 PM »

Does not say "for the state" anywhere. And many, many public high schools already have a public service requirement for graduation, usually 40 hours.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:33:33 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2008, 08:36:47 AM by Verily »

Just in case you don't know, this is Obama's idea.  I'm guessing Verily knew that, hence the poor attempt to defend it.  If it's wrong for the Fed to withhold highway funds to force states to obey (and it is wrong to do that), then it's really really wrong to withhold funds from schools to force states to obey.

I'm not making a "poor attempt to defend it", I do genuinely believe that it is a good idea. I don't think it is authoritarian at all, and I don't buy your emotive appeal otherwise. Centralization of requirements is not an authoritarian position, it is a pragmatic one. ("OMG, they're forcing us." is a childish argument, and you know it.)

Volunteer work is not "slavery", and I laugh in your face for trying to call it such.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies