Fed's to withhold funds to schools if they don't play ball... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:42:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Fed's to withhold funds to schools if they don't play ball... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fed's to withhold funds to schools if they don't play ball...  (Read 2932 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 21, 2008, 01:56:30 PM »

...and force the kids to do volunteer labor (read, slavery) for the state if this guy gets his way.  Is this a good idea?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »

Ahhh, so that makes it ok.  It's not "for" the state, it's "for" everybody, right?  And many schools have it already, thus it's a good idea to force it on everybody else.  That's how you're going to defend this?  How very authoritarian of you.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 07:23:42 AM »

Just in case you don't know, this is Obama's idea.  I'm guessing Verily knew that, hence the poor attempt to defend it.  If it's wrong for the Fed to withhold highway funds to force states to obey (and it is wrong to do that), then it's really really wrong to withhold funds from schools to force states to obey.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:08:46 AM »

You'll note I'm not bashing the "centralization of requirements", I'm bashing the heavy handed methods Obama thinks are acceptable to get his way.  He's not special in this regard, Bush is pretty damned good at it too.  I thought we were tired of that kind of politics.

And you're right, I'm lessening the meaning of the word slavery using it here and that is wrong.  I bash idiots that call GITMO a gulag, I shouldn't fall into the same trap.  But forced volunteering isn't volunteering.  It's not slavery, but it's only a few shades of grey away.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 06:31:49 PM »

Children need to learn that they are always subservient to the state.  That doesn't happen in most homes in the US, so the state needs to force it on the schools (who will then force it on the kids, whether they want it or not) by threatening to withhold funds.  I'm not surprised Obama fans are trying to reason this away.  I have a feeling they'd have a different take if this was Bush's idea...or not.  Some people are just authoritarian by nature.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 12:28:36 AM »

No, that wasn't aimed at you.  And I'm not as much against the idea as I am his methods.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »

Again, you're missing my main point.  I'm against the forced volunteering for sure, but I don't think that's the end of the world.  My big beef is with Obama's tactics to get what he thinks is best done and the inability of you on the left to see that.  Are you being willfully obtuse or do you actually approve of those kind of tactics?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 05:53:02 AM »

Again, you're missing my main point.  I'm against the forced volunteering for sure, but I don't think that's the end of the world.  My big beef is with Obama's tactics to get what he thinks is best done and the inability of you on the left to see that.  Are you being willfully obtuse or do you actually approve of those kind of tactics?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies