Source: McCain VP Pick to come This Week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:41:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Source: McCain VP Pick to come This Week
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Source: McCain VP Pick to come This Week  (Read 3667 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 21, 2008, 09:42:46 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=27630

Also says he will meet with Jindal this week and met with Giuliani July 20 - they attended a baseball game together.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0708/McCain_closes_in_on_VP.html?showall
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »

We were discussing this in the VP timetable thread.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:46:16 PM »

We were discussing this in the VP timetable thread.

But who doesn't love to create needless threads instead of looking around the forum for fifteen seconds?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:54:28 PM »

With BRTD gone, we need to create useless threads in his honor.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:57:09 PM »

i dont buy it.

i also dont buy that romney will be the pick.

could be wrong on both, of course.

jindal?  give me a break.  dont get me wrong, he is improvement over the total incompetent who served previously as governor of louisiana...but he is also nutter.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:07:48 PM »

i dont buy it.

i also dont buy that romney will be the pick.

could be wrong on both, of course.

jindal?  give me a break.  dont get me wrong, he is improvement over the total incompetent who served previously as governor of louisiana...but he is also nutter.

I like Jindal, but he is too far right and too young to be VP at this point. I know McCain needs a guy who can be ready to serve and young, but 36 is a bit extreme.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 10:11:48 PM »

What about a McCain/Giuliani ticket?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 10:13:23 PM »

What in the world would Giuliani add?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 10:14:37 PM »

What in the world would Giuliani add?

A Democrat in the White House Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:19:58 PM »

That's my dream ticket at this point, but I know that won't happen. McCain can't pick a pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-gun control VP and expect the conservative base to be energized. They are finally starting to come McCain's way. As much as I've love to see Rudy as the VP, there's probably no chance it happens.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 11:07:34 PM »

Jindal is too new, has only been working as governor for half a year, groom him for '12 as a Republican Obama, PICK PALIN IF YOU WANT NEW REFORMER DEMOGRAPHIC AAAAAH

Also- told you guys he'd pick before the RNC.  This elections breaking all the conventions, baby!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 11:08:44 PM »

Jindal is too new, has only been working as governor for half a year, groom him for '12 as a Republican Obama, PICK PALIN IF YOU WANT NEW REFORMER DEMOGRAPHIC AAAAAH

Also- told you guys he'd pick before the RNC.  This elections breaking all the conventions, baby!

Well, there's no proof that this is true. I still think he'll wait till after Obama announces his.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:40 PM »

Forget Palin.  Forget Jindal.  Forget Crist.  The first two ridiculous even to think they were ever seriously considered.  The third owed consideration because of his McCain endorsement.

The top tier are Romney and Pawlenty, with Thune a remote possibility.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 11:43:07 PM »

I am 60% sure that Romney will be the VP, unless McCain wants to surprise us all.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 07:18:10 AM »

I am 60% sure that Romney will be the VP, unless McCain wants to surprise us all.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 07:28:28 AM »

If I was McCain I would pick S. Palin. I seen her talk on the news the other day, and she knows her stuff. McCain has to be real, when he is look for a V.P., he has to look for someone who will be able to take his place in 2012(if he wins). Romeny, I don't think would win in a GE.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 08:54:22 AM »

McCain has considerable issues with whom he picks.

He picks a woman - looks like he's pandering
He picks someone young - pandering + defeat the purpose of challenging Obama on experience
He picks a minority - Yikes!

Basically he needs to pick a white, male, conservative, aged over 50
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 09:02:10 AM »

If I was McCain I would pick S. Palin. I seen her talk on the news the other day, and she knows her stuff. McCain has to be real, when he is look for a V.P., he has to look for someone who will be able to take his place in 2012(if he wins). Romeny, I don't think would win in a GE.

palin is a horrible person.

these dweebs on this site just talk about her because they think she is hot.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »

It's going to be Crist.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 09:38:25 AM »

Forget Palin.  Forget Jindal.  Forget Crist.  The first two ridiculous even to think they were ever seriously considered.  The third owed consideration because of his McCain endorsement.

The top tier are Romney and Pawlenty, with Thune a remote possibility.

Top drawer assessment.  I pretty much agree.  You might throw in Portman or some other House of Reps person...
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 10:49:30 AM »

Latest rumor is that he will announce today in New Hampshire or in Louisiana on Thursday (he's meeting with Jindal on Wednesday)

Cindy McCain is out of the country currently though, which leads some to be skeptical of him doing it this week (among the many other reasons to be skeptical)

Personally I think he's just trying to draw attention away from Obama's trip... and it's working.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 11:13:03 AM »

Personally I think he's just trying to draw attention away from Obama's trip... and it's working.

Really?  I would never have thought that.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2008, 11:14:42 AM »

Really?  I would never have thought that.

That's why I posted it Sam. Always looking out for you Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2008, 12:12:23 PM »

Let's face it, the bench is thin.  8 years ago, we had a hundred good VP picks, and Bush chose none of them.  This year, there are only a handful of choices.

It's not gonna be Huckabee.  He doesn't bring anything to the ticket, and he pisses off too many fiscal conservatives.

It's not going to be Ridge.  As much as I like Tom Ridge, his connections to big labor as a Congressman, his "pro-choice" stance (actually, Ridge really isn't pro-choice at all, his abortion stance is just too complex to fit on a bumper sticker, and thus suit the attention span of the average voter, and thus he is forced to say "pro-choice"), and his national public persona is not exactly a shinning one.

It's not gonna be Crist.  Has anyone noticed that this guy, at least used to be, pro-choice?  He's not even really a conservative.  He has less experience in government than Bobby Jindal.  The convenient timing of his marriage isn't going to quiet the gay rumors.  Jeb Bush doesn't even like the guy.  And if we need help winning Florida, then this election is already over.

It's not gonna be Liebermann.  Obvious enough.  Conservatives are just starting to warm up to McCain, this would drive them away in droves.  Then the election would become a fight for the Left, which we can't win.

It won't be Sarah Palin.  Let's not forget that she is the newly minted governor of Alaska of all places.  Putting her on the ticket will look like what it is, a naked grab for the women's vote... and no matter how yummy I'm sure she looks naked, I don't think that will help the ticket.  Smiley

It won't be Condi.  It won't be Jeb Bush.  It won't be Rick Santorum (worst VP rumor EVER).  It won't be Rick Perry, Bob Corker, Mark Sanford, Elizabeth Dole, etc, etc, etc.

So, who does that leave?  I still insist that John Sununu would be a good pick. 

Unfortunately, Romney is still on the list. 

Bobby Jindal, who in spite of lack of age still has more experience in government than Obama, and thus the "no experience" argument is not hurt.  In fact, bringing up the fact that McCain's VP choice is young would force the Obama campaign to go into the uncomfortable territory of suggesting McCain will die because of his age, which if not done just right, could backfire horribly, especially in states with high elderly populations (PA, OH, FL, MI) that Obama needs to win.  McCain could then always fire back with some remarks about either Obama's VP's lack of experience, or, if he picks an uber-experienced candidate (which he is likely to do) remarks that remind people of the old jokes of how Cheney was the real President.

Tim Pawlenty is high on the list, but the more I see of the guy, the less impressed I am by him.  The best he has to offer is that he could help sure up Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota (I'll still believe it only when I see it) and the Yuppers, but he doesn't bring in Minnesota, which we can pretty much give up on now.

And honestly, that's about it.  Unless he comes up with someone like Portman, or one of those CEO's whose names have been passed around, we are looking at those three (knowing that Sununu is only a dream of mine).
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 12:15:35 PM »

McCain's meets with Piyush Jindal on Wednesday and then he holds a secret event in Lousiana on Thursday. I hope this means McCain's picking his grandson.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies