NJ-5: Garrett Faces First Well-Funded Challenge with Shulman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:28:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-5: Garrett Faces First Well-Funded Challenge with Shulman
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NJ-5: Garrett Faces First Well-Funded Challenge with Shulman  (Read 3877 times)
Conan
conan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:23:47 PM »
« edited: July 14, 2008, 10:26:58 PM by Conan »

http://www.politickernj.com/wallye/21498/blind-rabbi-has-more-money-myers
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The writing in the article isn't the best. I assume Shulman has raised 585k for the quarter? If so, this is the best the district has seen for a Dem. Very pleasant news in the race against an incumbent who out to be representing Utah, more than North Jersey.

Edit: I think it may be total raised, but still better than past challengers.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:30:41 PM »

http://www.politickernj.com/wallye/21498/blind-rabbi-has-more-money-myers
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The writing in the article isn't the best. I assume Shulman has raised 585k for the quarter? If so, this is the best the district has seen for a Dem. Very pleasant news in the race against an incumbent who out to be representing Utah, more than North Jersey.

Schulman only raised $270k last quarter. $585k is the aggregate total.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:31:13 PM »

I like scott garrett, though I think this guy would be an interesting congressman.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:45:34 PM »

Scott Garrett is trash, but Shulman, no matter how much money he gets from the Jewish communities in Englewood, Teaneck and Fair Lawn (none of which are actually in NJ-05), stands no chance at ousting him.
Conan
conan

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:12:43 AM »

Scott Garrett is trash, but Shulman, no matter how much money he gets from the Jewish communities in Englewood, Teaneck and Fair Lawn (none of which are actually in NJ-05), stands no chance at ousting him.
Well not this time....but Garrett could be vulnerable soon enough although I hope redistricting puts Sussex, Warren, and Morris into one CD if that's possible. Also, it's not as if this is a super republican district. I think it's R +4-5?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 01:36:07 AM »

Well not this time....but Garrett could be vulnerable soon enough although I hope redistricting puts Sussex, Warren, and Morris into one CD if that's possible. Also, it's not as if this is a super republican district. I think it's R +4-5?

While it may not be heavily Republican on the Presidential level (though R +4 is damned Republican for New Jersey), it is solidly Republican on the other levels.  Aside from that tiny bit of the 37th Legislative District that's buried in there, this district isn't even competitive on a State Legislative level.  Nothing but solid red territory.
Conan
conan

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »

While it may not be heavily Republican on the Presidential level (though R +4 is damned Republican for New Jersey), it is solidly Republican on the other levels.  Aside from that tiny bit of the 37th Legislative District that's buried in there, this district isn't even competitive on a State Legislative level.  Nothing but solid red territory.
Yes, that is true. However, there's never been a real challenger with name ID, maybe electoral experience, and money here. Garrett got 55% last time, which isn't great. Redistricting is coming, so there's really no reason to speculate his chance of defeat because it's not gonna happen until redistricting. Also, Dems in other "more republican districts" seem to win them because they were historically democratic....which is not the case here.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »

Yes, that is true. However, there's never been a real challenger with name ID, maybe electoral experience, and money here. Garrett got 55% last time, which isn't great. Redistricting is coming, so there's really no reason to speculate his chance of defeat because it's not gonna happen until redistricting. Also, Dems in other "more republican districts" seem to win them because they were historically democratic....which is not the case here.

Given the Republican nature of the district downballot, there won't ever be a real challenger with name ID.  It's pretty bleak for Dems in the far north.

A main problem for Democrats wanting to oust Garrett is the fact that he's from Sussex, not Bergen—he's completely insulated by solid red territory all around.  It's quite unlikely that you'd ever be able to force Garrett's home into a Democratic-leaning district without drawing fire from Pascrell (you can't include Patterson in NJ-05) or Rothman (ditto with the solidly Dem areas of Bergen County).

Garrett's margins are absolutely solid, and there's no way his seat will be even remotely obtainable without a serious 2006 or 2008 style breeze at the Dems' back.  It's not marginal—you'd have to suck a good 5 points of GOP performance out of it to flip it, which would possibly make NJ-07 more Republican by requiring it to tread north into Warren County (I doubt Lance would mind taking in more of his State Senate district into NJ-07).  Is it really worth the gamble?

The best you could do, presumably, would be to force some kind of I vs. I battle between Frelinghuysen and Garrett by forcing NJ-05 south into Morris... though I can't imagine that resulting in anything but the ousting of Frelinghuysen.  Morris County loves its mountain men almost as much as Sussex County does.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 04:19:25 PM »

The best you could do, presumably, would be to force some kind of I vs. I battle between Frelinghuysen and Garrett by forcing NJ-05 south into Morris... though I can't imagine that resulting in anything but the ousting of Frelinghuysen.  Morris County loves its mountain men almost as much as Sussex County does.

You're better attuned to NJ politics than I am, but I would bet on Frelinghuysen. I don't think many people know or care about what kind of Republican Garett is vs. Frelinghuysen (although they'd soon find out) and I would put county loyalty and the gold value of the Frelinghuysen name over Garrett's bomb-throwing record, social conservatism, and tiny little geographic base.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2008, 04:41:58 PM by Verily »

Here's my redistricting plan for NJ (posted here a while ago). It obviously doesn't get rid of Garrett, but it does reorganize him into a district that fits his political views a bit better. Frelinghuysen's district becomes extremely marginal in this map, too. (NJ-07 disappears and is replaced by the also-marginal [but on the Democratic side and somewhat less marginal, D+2 against Frelinghuysen's being D+0] district along the Bayshore.)

Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 04:39:04 PM »

You're better attuned to NJ politics than I am, but I would bet on Frelinghuysen. I don't think many people know or care about what kind of Republican Garett is vs. Frelinghuysen (although they'd soon find out) and I would put county loyalty and the gold value of the Frelinghuysen name over Garrett's bomb-throwing record, social conservatism, and tiny little geographic base.

Well, it entirely depends on what the final blend of the district winds up being, I suppose.  Neither Rothman nor Pascrell presumably wants any part of Garrett's district (save, maybe, for those heavily Democratic areas in the 37th), so additions of Morris would likely come at the expense of the Warren County part and Democratic areas of Bergen County.  The only way this would work is if New Jersey indeed fell to 12 CDs post-redistricting, the line drawers decided to have Garrett and Frelinghuysen throw down in a deathmatch, and draw a "safer" seat for Lance all at the same time.  (Unlikely.)

I guess what I'm saying is that it's going to be impossible to redistrict Garrett out of a job without major demographic shifts in North Bergen and the exurbs.  I mean, major long-term demographic shifts.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 04:42:12 PM »

Well, it entirely depends on what the final blend of the district winds up being, I suppose.  Neither Rothman nor Pascrell presumably wants any part of Garrett's district (save, maybe, for those heavily Democratic areas in the 37th), so additions of Morris would likely come at the expense of the Warren County part and Democratic areas of Bergen County.  The only way this would work is if New Jersey indeed fell to 12 CDs post-redistricting, the line drawers decided to have Garrett and Frelinghuysen throw down in a deathmatch, and draw a "safer" seat for Lance all at the same time.  (Unlikely.)

I guess what I'm saying is that it's going to be impossible to redistrict Garrett out of a job without major demographic shifts in North Bergen and the exurbs.  I mean, major long-term demographic shifts.
What if Stender wins? How would that complicate your redistricting scenario?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »

What if Stender wins? How would that complicate your redistricting scenario?

Well, putting on my Democratic strategist hat, if Stender wins (meaning Adler wins too), and both hang on in 2010, the top priority is incumbent protection with 13 seats.

Stender will likely be deseperate to get rid of as much of Hunterdon and Somerset Counties as she can to solidify her position, and given past redistricting results, the cartographers will be happy to oblige.  The current NJ-05 will probably give up some of Bergen County to Rothman, perhaps a little bit to Pascrell if possible, all to start sinking into Hunterdon County.  (Rush Holt may also be chosen to take up more of Hunterdon/Southern Somerset now that he's viewed as "safe" and can better absorb the terrain.)

The Essex County part of Frelinghuysen's district is trending Democratic at the speed of light, so redistricters will probably want to swap that out, perhaps into the new Stender district.  (Better West Essex than Hunterdon, certainly.)  The lines of NJ-11 should probably then be pushed "wider" in the "Somerville finger"—that is, take up some of the more Republican parts of Somerset County.

Redistricters will probably want Stender's district to take up a bit more of Middlesex and Union at the expense of Pallone.

The redrawing will be tricky business, because you're giving Republicans openings in the Holt, Pallone, and Rothman seats upon their retirement without being able to totally solidify Stender.  In exchange, the current NJ-05 becomes bulletproof.  (Not much good news for Republicans there, basically.)

If redistricting takes away a seat from NJ, then either Stender or Adler is in trouble.  Big red targets on their back based on a lack of seniority.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 09:35:59 PM »

Scott Garrett is safe, as Verily pointed out the heavily Jewish communities that are raising the money for Shulman can't even vote for him
Conan
conan

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 03:31:01 PM »

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2008/07/28/080728ta_talk_toobin

Jeffrey Toobin should check his facts. "Like the state, the district has been leaning democratic." Ha.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »

Jeffrey Toobin should check his facts. "Like the state, the district has been leaning democratic." Ha.
The state does lean Democratic, the district however is very conservative.  Conan are admitting the rabbi dude has no chance?
Conan
conan

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 03:40:06 PM »

The state does lean Democratic, the district however is very conservative.  Conan are admitting the rabbi dude has no chance?
I am not inclined to believe he can or will win. I've never believed in a democrats chances here in the past either. I wouldn't call the district very conservative though. Sussex and Warren are probably socially conservative economically moderate-conservative while Bergen is mostly fiscally conservative and socially moderate-liberal. Overall I'd say we're fiscal conservative and socially moderate-liberal. Old school republican.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »

It's more a linguistics issue.  It looks like the intended word there was "trending."
Conan
conan

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 03:50:08 PM »

It's more a linguistics issue.  It looks like the intended word there was "trending."
Yes but he has a record of this. Half the stuff that comes out of his mouth is wrong.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 01:13:26 PM »

First the New Yorker, and now Time? Shulman's press secretary deserves a raise. At the very least,  because of this press, Shulman should have a solid upcoming fundraising quarter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies