Update: John Edwards Confesses to Affair but Denies Paternity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:20:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Update: John Edwards Confesses to Affair but Denies Paternity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Update: John Edwards Confesses to Affair but Denies Paternity  (Read 16527 times)
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2008, 07:35:35 PM »

Naturally, the entire media, in unison, are focusing on this story and beating it to death. Because I wanted info about the whole Georgia/Russia spat I turned the TV to Fox News, and they had someone from the friggin' National Enquirer blabbing about the story. Roll Eyes

Jeez Louise this country's media absolutely sucks. Angry
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2008, 07:37:08 PM »

When you consider how close this guy got to being both President and Vice President, I don't think it's disproportionate at all.  A little late.  A lot late.  But not disproportionate.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2008, 07:38:26 PM »

This is hardly better than cheating on your crippled wife with a rich beer heiress so that you can launch your political career, but that doesn't excuse it at all. It's really none of our business though. He is though an asshole for running for President after this. What an October surprise this would have been.

Actually, she's not "crippled," though she was in an accident while John McCain was a Prisoner of War.  Carol said this terrible thing about John:  "He’s a good guy. We are still good friends. He is the best man for president."

I don't call one of my old girlfriends a "good girl."

Are you seriously trying to justify McCain here? "He's a good guy"? Seems like thinly veiled resentment to me.

No just quoting exactly and correcting the revisionist history.  Carol McCain isn't disabled, wasn't disabled at the time they divorced, and, unlike many ex-spouses, is supporting McCain this year.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2008, 08:16:50 PM »

Having read his "statement" again, I am literally amazed by the amount of "legal outs" he can put into just a few paragraphs.  Especially about the paternity thingy.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »

This summer is really awful. I can't wait until we can get the Edwards/VP/Rumours crap over with.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2008, 08:39:27 PM »

Well per ABC news Hunter bought a 3 million dollar pad in Santa Barbara after the affair. Maybe she won a lottery ticket. Edwards said he went to the Beverly Hilton to try to persuade Hunter to keep her lips shut.

And there you have it. No ongoing affair and no money from Edwards to Hunter. It is time to move on.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »

Well per ABC news Hunter bought a 3 million dollar pad in Santa Barbara after the affair. Maybe she won a lottery ticket. Edwards said he went to the Beverly Hilton to try to persuade Hunter to keep her lips shut.

And there you have it. No ongoing affair and no money from Edwards to Hunter. It is time to move on.

Yeah, sounds like the be all and end all to me. Roll Eyes
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2008, 09:30:16 PM »

My reaction to this....

Edwards tried to cover up a shameful part of his life, he apparently told his wife and family almost immediately (which was the right thing to do).

Having said that... THANK F**K! He isn't the nominee.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2008, 10:01:17 PM »

My reaction to this....

Edwards tried to cover up a shameful part of his life, he apparently told his wife and family almost immediately (which was the right thing to do).

Having said that... THANK F**K! He isn't the nominee.

Had he said, "That's between myself and my wife," or "I'm not going to answer that," or, heaven forbid, told the truth, who would care?  I wouldn't. 

This isn't about Edwards having an affair, it's about him lying about it.  Neither McCain nor Obama have a spotless moral record, but they are both up from about it.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »

Well I'm saddened by the news but it doesn't really bother me much. I still like Edwards and think he would make a great Attorney General or some other cabinet position. I really doubt that this ends his career.
Conan
conan

« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2008, 10:14:20 PM »

I would have rather seen him admit he was gay.........that's a fugly woman

Elizabeth Edwards:

Rielle Hunter:

Hunter is a step up from Elizabeth Edwards, no?  (Yes, the more recent pictures of Hunter are much worse, but that was during / after she was pregnant.)

Perhaps you could have chosen a photo of Elizabeth not from the press conference where they announced that her cancer had returned and would kill her?

You're comparison is sickening.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2008, 10:24:43 PM »

Well I'm saddened by the news but it doesn't really bother me much. I still like Edwards and think he would make a great Attorney General or some other cabinet position. I really doubt that this ends his career.

I doubt he'll win elected office again, Democrats can and will turn on their own. I could see him serving in a high level non-elected government position however.... it will take some time for rehabilitation.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2008, 11:17:36 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2008, 11:23:11 PM by Ogre Mage »

I read this quote back during the run-up to the Iowa Caucuses and it now seems prescient.  These Iowa voters sensed something was off even then:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/28/AR2007012801321_2.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Edwards ran for President and lied about his affair, something which could have severely damaged our chances if it had come out while he was on the ticket.  I have long been a skeptic of his and unfortunately my skepticism has been confirmed.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2008, 11:51:17 PM »

This isn't about Edwards having an affair, it's about him lying about it.

No, all lying is OK.  Republicans only care about sex.  Remember your talking points.

Well I'm saddened by the news but it doesn't really bother me much. I still like Edwards

Whatever for?  Not being a Republican?  That's about all that's left.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2008, 12:10:05 AM »

This isn't about Edwards having an affair, it's about him lying about it.

No, all lying is OK.  Republicans only care about sex.  Remember your talking points.

Sorry, they don't mail those talking points to Republicans, just to the Democrats after one gets caught.

Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2008, 01:46:04 AM »

Naturally, the entire media, in unison, are focusing on this story and beating it to death. Because I wanted info about the whole Georgia/Russia spat I turned the TV to Fox News, and they had someone from the friggin' National Enquirer blabbing about the story. Roll Eyes

Jeez Louise this country's media absolutely sucks. Angry

^^^^

Seriously.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2008, 04:37:17 AM »

As I just said in that post - they've tried to run this story before and it's been proven BS

I must have missed this.  How was it "proven"?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »

I was so sad to hear this news.  Sad for Elizabeth, sad for the Edwards' children and sad for John Edwards himself.  He must be a very, very small little man to have stabbed his devoted wife in the back like this.  Shame on him.

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »

Very disappointed in Edwards
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2008, 02:39:51 PM »

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/john_edwards_sex_more_lies_videotape_/celebrity/65288
elcorazon

« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »

This is hardly better than cheating on your crippled wife with a rich beer heiress so that you can launch your political career, but that doesn't excuse it at all. It's really none of our business though. He is though an asshole for running for President after this. What an October surprise this would have been.

Actually, she's not "crippled," though she was in an accident while John McCain was a Prisoner of War.  Carol said this terrible thing about John:  "He’s a good guy. We are still good friends. He is the best man for president."

I don't call one of my old girlfriends a "good girl."
just so you realize the relevance of this point... elizabeth is still a big supporter of John Edwards.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2008, 10:16:01 AM »

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2008/08/15/edwards_cover_up_continues.html

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2008, 10:22:39 AM »

^^^

The only reason I keep posting on this story is because the depth of the problems are only beginning.  It is plainly obvious.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2008, 04:37:07 PM »

What the heck?  This is truly bizarre.  I just noticed that, at least for a while, Hunter lived with Andrew Young (the alleged father of her baby) and his wife:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/us/politics/15edwards.html?_r=1&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all

Is is the least bit plausible that Mrs. Young would agree to that kind of living arrangement if Hunter was really Young's mistress (or ex-mistress) and Young was really the father of the baby?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2008, 05:19:34 PM »

Last year when the first allegations of an affair surfaced in the Enquirer, Edwards apparently tried to guilt trip the Charlotte News & Observer into not covering the story by bringing up Elizabeth's cancer:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2711/story/1181346.html

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies