There went Sarah Palin's VP chances.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:37:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  There went Sarah Palin's VP chances.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: There went Sarah Palin's VP chances.  (Read 2545 times)
JWHart

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:16:15 PM »

Evidently the Alaska Legislature is considering appointing an investigator regarding the firing of the Public Safety Commissioner, who refused to fire a state trooper who went through a messy divorce with Palin's sister. Full story here: http://www.adn.com/legislature/story/471366.html

I'm not sure this is going to be as huge as some of the lefty blogs are making it out to be -- there appear to be questions as to the trooper's competence, for one...but while Palin could survive, it sounds like she's decisively out of the Veepstakes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 10:17:47 PM »

Uh...this is not the type of stuff that brings down a running mate.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:19:07 PM »

Her chances were pretty paltry to begin with, and she's still the most ethical Alaskan Republican either way.
JWHart

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:22:22 PM »

Really? If it had happened a year ago, sure, but you don't think the possibility of a legislative investigation while the campaign is ongoing would keep her from getting the nod? (Of course, this assumes McCain was considering her in the first place, and we may never know if he was.)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »

the Alaska Legislature is considering appointing an investigator regarding the firing of the Public Safety Commissioner, who refused to fire a state trooper who went through a messy divorce with Palin's sister.

That confuses even me.  I'm not sure it passes the "sniff test" to be a major event.  Maybe if she's clearly implicated in wrongdoing.

But, yeah, in Alaska, I think you get three major corruption scandals for free with every elected office, and this is like 1/2 of one.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 10:26:06 PM »

Really? If it had happened a year ago, sure, but you don't think the possibility of a legislative investigation while the campaign is ongoing would keep her from getting the nod? (Of course, this assumes McCain was considering her in the first place, and we may never know if he was.)

I doubt she was ever seriously considered but this seems like a minor scandal.

the Alaska Legislature is considering appointing an investigator regarding the firing of the Public Safety Commissioner, who refused to fire a state trooper who went through a messy divorce with Palin's sister.

That confuses even me.  I'm not sure it passes the "sniff test" to be a major event.

Exactly.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:27:57 AM »

Why is this even an issue? This sort of thing isn't the reason why Palin's chances at becoming McCain's running mate are slim at best.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 02:54:33 AM »

Alaska is sort of notoriously corrupt and this could provide a basis of effective counter-spin for the Democrats.  Sort of how Republicans would spin it if Obama was called to be a witness for the Rezko trial or whatevsky (Obama's people, whatever they may have done to avoid that situation, deserve a gold medal and an ambassador's position in Luxembourg, the latter being more likely).   I could ramble on and on, but she doesn't make the shortlist.

1) Despite courageously bringing a child to term whom she knew would have down syndorme, she now has to take care of that child and would be limited in campaigning.
2) She has limited experience in one of the smallest states, undermining the unexperienced, 'pretty boy' criticism of Obama.  McCain doesn't need someone who screams experience because his own is unquestioned (opening up the possibility for someone like Eric Cantor, in my opinion), but he cannot select someone with less experience than Obama.  Especially due to his age and the increased chance that that VP would assume the presidency, there would be no way that McCain/Palin could attack Obama's military or foreign policy experience without looking shallow and ineffective. 

I would bet all of my money, if the odds were ok, that Palin will not be selected. 

I mean, I'll be the first to point out Palin's bonuses to the ticket (her pro-life credentials, from a personal standpoints, are better than any major Republican politician in the history of time, she's pretty) but she doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being selected so it's a moot issue.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:12:38 AM »

That confuses even me.  I'm not sure it passes the "sniff test" to be a major event.

Exactly.

Pretty much. This will never appear on the six-o'-clock news, & if it did, 95% of people wouldn't understand why they should care.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 05:20:40 AM »

I dont think she was a serious choice anyways.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 06:51:22 AM »

... was never really in play to begin with.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »

I just think that out of all the wild cards (young GOP, women), she was the most likely.
JWHart

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 10:34:15 AM »

You know, with a little hollandaise, this crow ain't half bad.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 10:35:08 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 10:35:15 AM »

You know, with a little hollandaise, this crow ain't half bad.

Congrats........wondered who would be the first dickhead to fry someone......you fried yourself.  Wink

Good eats!  Wink
elcorazon

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 02:47:07 PM »

Alaska is sort of notoriously corrupt and this could provide a basis of effective counter-spin for the Democrats.  Sort of how Republicans would spin it if Obama was called to be a witness for the Rezko trial or whatevsky (Obama's people, whatever they may have done to avoid that situation, deserve a gold medal and an ambassador's position in Luxembourg, the latter being more likely).   I could ramble on and on, but she doesn't make the shortlist.

1) Despite courageously bringing a child to term whom she knew would have down syndorme, she now has to take care of that child and would be limited in campaigning.
2) She has limited experience in one of the smallest states, undermining the unexperienced, 'pretty boy' criticism of Obama.  McCain doesn't need someone who screams experience because his own is unquestioned (opening up the possibility for someone like Eric Cantor, in my opinion), but he cannot select someone with less experience than Obama.  Especially due to his age and the increased chance that that VP would assume the presidency, there would be no way that McCain/Palin could attack Obama's military or foreign policy experience without looking shallow and ineffective. 

I would bet all of my money, if the odds were ok, that Palin will not be selected. 

I mean, I'll be the first to point out Palin's bonuses to the ticket (her pro-life credentials, from a personal standpoints, are better than any major Republican politician in the history of time, she's pretty) but she doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being selected so it's a moot issue.
this is my favorite post in the thread though.

proves how silly all of our discussions can be, at times.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »

For some reason this isn't being talked about much on this forum recently.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 12:11:42 AM »

proves how silly all of our discussions can be, at times.

I think we make the mistake of being too "safe" or conventional in our conversations here when politics is anything but those two things.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies