Can Kerry win Nevada against bush?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:32:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Can Kerry win Nevada against bush?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Can Kerry win Nevada against bush?  (Read 8428 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004, 01:58:30 PM »

To answer this question, Kerry can definitely win Nevada, any state where Bush got 49.52% would be in play this time, imo.
DarthKosh

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2004, 02:06:18 PM »

To answer this question, Kerry can definitely win Nevada, any state where Bush got 49.52% would be in play this time, imo.

Kerry is no Gore and Kerry speaches might turn off the middle.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2004, 02:07:35 PM »

Darth,

Yes, they are cleaner. And they would decrease our dependence on foreign oil, and also help drive the country back in the direction it was headed before the era of knee jerk environmentalism. Fusion will one day change the world if we have the courage and will to take that path.

Cold Fusion.

If we can make it work...from what I've heard about fusion it seems a little too goos to be true...if I lived in a country thretened by terrorism I don't know if I'd want to put up nuclear power plants just anywhere, but I agree that they're better than most other options. The nuclear situation in Sweden is really weird, but that's a diffeent discussion... Smiley

It's damn near possible to blow up a nuclear plant.

I am guessing that 'possible' is supposed to be 'impossible' here... Wink
DarthKosh

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2004, 02:08:32 PM »

Darth,

Yes, they are cleaner. And they would decrease our dependence on foreign oil, and also help drive the country back in the direction it was headed before the era of knee jerk environmentalism. Fusion will one day change the world if we have the courage and will to take that path.

Cold Fusion.

If we can make it work...from what I've heard about fusion it seems a little too goos to be true...if I lived in a country thretened by terrorism I don't know if I'd want to put up nuclear power plants just anywhere, but I agree that they're better than most other options. The nuclear situation in Sweden is really weird, but that's a diffeent discussion... Smiley

It's damn near possible to blow up a nuclear plant.

I am guessing that 'possible' is supposed to be 'impossible' here... Wink

Damn my typing.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2004, 02:26:43 PM »

I should imagine Sweden may not look favourably on Nuclear power, am I correct Gustaf? especially after the Chernobyl incident....
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2004, 02:31:24 PM »

I should imagine Sweden may not look favourably on Nuclear power, am I correct Gustaf? especially after the Chernobyl incident....

Actually, Chernobyl didn't impact the political debate that much, it was Harrisburg that caused the Labour Party to move against nuclear power and calling a referendum on tht issue...the problem is no one is sure what the referendum result was, and so we're still struggling with what we should do...there's a vast majority for keeping nuclear power, but the politicians are locked by the people having to choose between 3 stupid alternatives in 1980... Sad
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2004, 03:10:39 PM »

Wakie,

Kerry did WAYYYYYY more than ask to bring home his fellow soldiers. Go read his testimony before the US Senate in 1971...
I assume you're talking about the part where he describes of the very screwed up things he saw fellow soldiers do in Vietnam.

It seems that every guy who came back from Vietnam has some stories about seeing fellow soldiers doing messed up things.  That is an unfortunate side effect of war.  Some soldiers do not know how to behave.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2004, 03:18:23 PM »

Well if Kerry only spends only one or two days in NV he'll more then likely lose it.

I say Bush will take Navada.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2004, 03:18:51 PM »

Actually, Chernobyl didn't impact the political debate that much, it was Harrisburg that caused the Labour Party to move against nuclear power and calling a referendum on tht issue...the problem is no one is sure what the referendum result was, and so we're still struggling with what we should do...there's a vast majority for keeping nuclear power, but the politicians are locked by the people having to choose between 3 stupid alternatives in 1980... Sad

Didn't Chernobyl affect Sweden, I don't mean politically, but didn't the effects of it hit Sweden (as in the nuclear effects), I know that most of the acid rain caused by Nuclear power plants in the UK hits Sweden.....
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2004, 03:28:34 PM »

Didn't Chernobyl affect Sweden, I don't mean politically, but didn't the effects of it hit Sweden (as in the nuclear effects), I know that most of the acid rain caused by Nuclear power plants in the UK hits Sweden.....

It hit us, and we weren't allowed to eat elk meat or blueberries for a long time...but there wasn't much of an actual effect, it was blown out of proportion. (for us that is, it was an enormous tragedy for the Ukrainians, of course, made worse by the incompetence of the Soivet leadership).
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2004, 03:29:37 PM »

yeah, I had a feeling it had some effect on Sweden although not a great one, I just would have thought something like that would put a nation off of Nuclear Power.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2004, 03:30:39 PM »

yeah, I had a feeling it had some effect on Sweden although not a great one, I just would have thought something like that would put a nation off of Nuclear Power.

Actually, about 70% are in favour right now, and that's what's it been like for a long time...but we're still dismantling them, maybe, or something, nobodu knows really...
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2004, 04:15:44 PM »

to quote L.A. Confidential

"It is all very "hush-hush""
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2004, 04:24:37 PM »

to quote L.A. Confidential

"It is all very "hush-hush""

That's another great film! Smiley 'Rollo Tomasso...'

Nuclear politics in Sweden is a mess, as I've stated above. Sad
aburr
Rookie

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2004, 10:21:28 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2004, 11:15:21 PM by aburr »

My brother moved from the south to Nevada during the 90's. Unlike me, he started out as a fanatical...almost rabid Republican. When I was a child..he tried to force religion on me, made me watch the 700 club, and even tried to endoctrinate me with his neoconservative views.

As I got older I rebelled, but during the nineties found that many Democrats who supported Clinton and Gore were just as dogmatic in their views. This is when I decided that no party or religion can speak for me, that only I can speak for myself.  I voted for Perot in 92, Clinton in 96, and Gore in 2000. But I also voted for the Republican Governor of Tennessee. My favorite Congressman, Jim Cooper...is a Democrat, but is well known for his Independent politics.  

My brother and I spent some time together at the beginning of the new year, and he mentioned that many of his co-workers had interested him in voting for John Kerry. This was a complete shock to me, because since 1984 my brother only voted Republican! He asked me just last night..who I might vote for in the fall, then he gave me all his reasons for backing Kerry in the primary.

I still don't trust either party, and my brother doesn't blindly follow them like he used to. But I am still wondering if either party is worth supporting....

Nothing scares me more than a powerful government like ours controlled by any one party.
GOPman
Rookie

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2004, 01:22:36 AM »

Basically its like this:

Bush will win Nevada....Kerry will lose

Nevada is one of those states that have become more GOP over the years, and will probably stay that way for some time. Part of the reason is the turn off from Gray Davis of California. Many people switched parties, then states because they were so sick of him.
aburr
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2004, 02:07:35 AM »

Basically its like this:

Nevada is one of those states that have become more GOP over the years, and will probably stay that way for some time. Part of the reason is the turn off from Gray Davis of California. Many people switched parties, then states because they were so sick of him.

Time reveals everything.

It reveals truth, deception, flaws, and it even reveals hypocracy. The two parties are the voters' foul choice in November...the same as a choice between dog sh*t and bs. Not a very healthy choice for an unhealthy nation.

But my brother hated being in Nevada when it went for Clinton, and this was when I first heard him talk about the need for abolishing the electoral college. He still believes this today, even though he now supports Kerrey!

My point is that abolishing the Electoral College should never be a partisan issue.
MarkDel

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2004, 02:13:04 AM »

GOP Man,

It looks like we agree about many things, but I think you should reconsider the comment that Nevada is becoming more Republican. In the 1970's and 1980's, we totally dominated this state, winning over 60% of the popular vote in 1972, 1980 and 1984, as well as 58% in 1988. Since then, we lost in 1992 and 1996 and won by a small margin in 2000. Now obviously we would NEVER have lost in 1992 and 1996 if weren't for the presence of Ross Perot, but the numbers do indicate this state is no longer 100% safe territory for the good guys. Still, I do think it's about 90% safe. Put it this way, if we lose here, I don't think it would make any difference since it would likely mean a national loss of at least 3-4%.
GOPman
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2004, 02:23:37 AM »

Basically its like this:

Time reveals everything.

It reveals truth, deception, flaws, and it even reveals hypocracy. The two parties are the voters' foul choice in November...the same as a choice between dog sh*t and bs. Not a very healthy choice for an unhealthy nation.

But my brother hated being in Nevada when it went for Clinton, and this was when I first heard him talk about the need for abolishing the electoral college. He still believes this today, even though he now supports Kerrey!

My point is that abolishing the Electoral College should never be a partisan issue.

YOUR RIGHT! It should never be an issue at all. The Founders were right on the money when they placed that requirment on the nation. They knew that the small states needed to be protected. Unfortunately, most of the ones who favor getting rid of the EC are the liberals and whiners who still think Gore was elected. It was a checks and balances act that the Founders developed, and it was brilliant! The ones who want it changed are the big-city urban libs who realize the potential in getting their man elected, and using as many legal or illegal votes to get it done. The EC protects against vote fraud as well as guarantees the right of each state to have equal status.
aburr
Rookie

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2004, 02:41:48 AM »

Basically its like this:

Time reveals everything.

YOUR RIGHT! It should never be an issue at all. The Founders were right on the money when they placed that requirment on the nation. They knew that the small states needed to be protected. Unfortunately, most of the ones who favor getting rid of the EC are the liberals and whiners who still think Gore was elected. It was a checks and balances act that the Founders developed, and it was brilliant! The ones who want it changed are the big-city urban libs who realize the potential in getting their man elected, and using as many legal or illegal votes to get it done. The EC protects against vote fraud as well as guarantees the right of each state to have equal status.

LOL, all I ever hear now..from the right is whining and crying! They whine about Bush being blamed for 9/11, they whine about the negativity of liberals, they whined about Clinton nonstop, they whine about being "unfairly" blamed for the deficit and the bad economy. I think the Grand Old Party should be renamed the Glum Old Party, because their most noticeable attribute is their thin skin!
GOPman
Rookie

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2004, 02:53:24 AM »

With all due respect, you didn't really answer the question (or statement) on the EC. I don't understand why people don't you identify themselves as a Dem, and earn respect. It appears as though they try to come across as a moderate which they obviously are not. Voting for the other side in a state election one time is not being moderate, only a dem who saw the light on one occasion! I don't blame Bush for all those things, I credit him! He has shown the leadership needed Post 9-11, and has built the economy back from a recession. Why would you not criticize Clinton? You think he was honorable and decent? I wonder if people can call it what it is...theres right and wrong, make the choice.
aburr
Rookie

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2004, 03:15:37 AM »

With all due respect, you didn't really answer the question (or statement) on the EC. I don't understand why people don't you identify themselves as a Dem, and earn respect. It appears as though they try to come across as a moderate which they obviously are not. Voting for the other side in a state election one time is not being moderate, only a dem who saw the light on one occasion! I don't blame Bush for all those things, I credit him! He has shown the leadership needed Post 9-11, and has built the economy back from a recession. Why would you not criticize Clinton? You think he was honorable and decent? I wonder if people can call it what it is...theres right and wrong, make the choice.

So...one man, one vote..right or wrong?
Failing completely to stop the attack on 9/11...right or wrong?
Supporting the notion that individuals should be able to purchase health insurance at a premium based on a standard community rating, not a pre-existing medical condition...right or wrong?
Killing innocent women and children in Iraq to make up for a colossal mistake as commander-in-chief...right or wrong?
Lowering taxes and increasing spending to more score points during the election, so that the future generations will be left with this burden...right or wrong?
Blaming somebody else for something that goes wrong when you are in power...right or wrong?
Cutting funds to public education just so the fat old slobs that vote today can get their taxcuts...right or wrong?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2004, 11:32:01 AM »

Wakie,

Kerry did WAYYYYYY more than ask to bring home his fellow soldiers. Go read his testimony before the US Senate in 1971...
I assume you're talking about the part where he describes of the very screwed up things he saw fellow soldiers do in Vietnam.

It seems that every guy who came back from Vietnam has some stories about seeing fellow soldiers doing messed up things.  That is an unfortunate side effect of war.  Some soldiers do not know how to behave.

So you honestly believe that our troops were commiting daily atrocities in Vietnam.  Cutting women and children's toes, ears and fingers off like Kerry claimed?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2004, 11:38:25 AM »

In response to what you said soulty, I would say that there probably were some soldiers torturing the people of Vietnam, but not the majority, just a small minority, possibly driven by hatred or revenge for fallen comrades.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2004, 11:55:09 AM »

Wakie,

So you honestly believe that our troops were commiting daily atrocities in Vietnam.  Cutting women and children's toes, ears and fingers off like Kerry claimed?
All of them?  No.
Some of them?  Yes.

This is a sad reality of war.  In times of war, certain soldiers can behave in a manner that would seem completely incomprehensible to them at any other time.

People who deny that these things happen are being both blind and foolish.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies