NM: Rasmussen: Obama ahead by 6%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:34:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  NM: Rasmussen: Obama ahead by 6%
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NM: Rasmussen: Obama ahead by 6%  (Read 2918 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2008, 11:04:40 AM »

New Poll: New Mexico President by Rasmussen on 2008-07-24

Summary: D: 49%, R: 43%, U: 8%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:10:26 AM »

Many NM polls in '04 showed Kerry leading by a good amount -- The state simply can't be polled.  I'm not close to giving up on NM just yet.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 11:12:39 AM »

NM is a funny state, but in the end I believe it will go to Obama by 1% or 2%
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:15:46 AM »

Well, It's a bit early to make that projection, don't you think?  I think that the state will be right with the national popular vote as it always has, and no one knows how that will go yet.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 11:18:15 AM »

Well, It's a bit early to make that projection, don't you think?  I think that the state will be right with the national popular vote as it always has, and no one knows how that will go yet.

Pew says that Obama is leading with Hispanics nationally 66-24. This also included Floridian Cuban-Americans, which means Obama might be getting 70%+ of the Hispanic vote in NM
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 11:27:44 AM »

Pew says that Obama is leading with Hispanics nationally 66-24. This also included Floridian Cuban-Americans, which means Obama might be getting 70%+ of the Hispanic vote in NM

That can't be true, Hispanic will not vote for Obama because he is black! Smiley  Remember when Hilliary tried to say that.. hehe.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 11:30:04 AM »

That may be true, but I don't think the states of NM along with CO are lost yet. 
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 12:16:05 PM »

That may be true, but I don't think the states of NM along with CO are lost yet. 

I dunno why ronnie, but unlike a few repubs on this forum, I really respect your caution and optimism for your candidate. It may be your signature... Wink
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:28:31 PM »

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 12:40:46 PM »

I think a gut projection is just as good as a poll in the case of NM.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 12:51:27 PM »

Why does everyone say NM is so hard to poll? I'm genuinely unaware of the reasons.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 12:52:24 PM »

Why does everyone say NM is so hard to poll? I'm genuinely unaware of the reasons.

because Sam Spade said so
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 12:55:19 PM »

Because its demographics are...unique.  Poor people, new Hispanics, old Hispanics, Natives, old whites, new whites, etc.

It's one of the four states I'm least confident in predicting at the moment.  The others are Ohio, Virginia, and Nevada, for the record.  I can put all the others into at least Lean X.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »

because Sam Spade and WMS said so
Corrected to include both of the forum's NM experts.

WMS still posts?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 12:58:02 PM »

because Sam Spade and WMS said so
Corrected to include both of the forum's NM experts.

WMS still posts?
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=79114.msg1642355#msg1642355
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 12:59:58 PM »

That's great to hear. Smiley

Oh, and concerning this poll...summer polling is definitely upon us. If you look at the polls we've seen recently they very obviously are not all right. Some of them may be right by luck but I'm not gonna get too excited either way with anything right now.
Vsanto5
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: 3.23

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 03:06:42 PM »

I am still waiting for NM to poll +10 for McCain.  Until then, I feel it still leans Obama.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 08:37:42 PM »

Yup; he came back about a month ago. Posts very sporadically, though, and only on NM-related topics.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 12:49:12 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2008, 12:52:14 AM by Contrary Hypothesis® »

Sam Spade is correct, guys.   You can't poll New Mexico.  Erratic turnout among Native Americans and Hispanics in the southern part of the state, fluxuations in the white population in between elections (they move from Beverly Hills to Los Alamos/Santa Fe or Texas to Hobbs/Las Cruces and back constantly), corrupt clerks/secretaries that make Katherine Harris look like a major FF, and an incredibly outdated paper ballot system that always ends up with problems that disenfranchise voters (they didn't print enough or there was a typo) mean that New Mexico is decided not by the opinions of the state but the situation that unfolds on election day.  Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Bush really won the state in 2000 but Kerry really won the state in 2004.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2008, 09:10:30 AM »

Sam Spade is correct, guys.   You can't poll New Mexico.  Erratic turnout among Native Americans and Hispanics in the southern part of the state, fluxuations in the white population in between elections (they move from Beverly Hills to Los Alamos/Santa Fe or Texas to Hobbs/Las Cruces and back constantly), corrupt clerks/secretaries that make Katherine Harris look like a major FF, and an incredibly outdated paper ballot system that always ends up with problems that disenfranchise voters (they didn't print enough or there was a typo) mean that New Mexico is decided not by the opinions of the state but the situation that unfolds on election day.  Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Bush really won the state in 2000 but Kerry really won the state in 2004.

You forgot to mention that there's a certain cadre of swing voters in NM who will shift incessantly from one candidate to another and often like to shift in the polling booth.  And there's also the graveyard vote in certain counties.

It's funny.  For a state that consistently elects corrupt Dem politicians at the local level, at the national level, they really can and do go every which a way (i.e. coattails don't occur)
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2008, 08:40:55 PM »

I relaly dont think McCain can win without CO and NM.  Hes got to spend a lot of resources there regardless of polls.  Ohio is anyone's guess, but CO NM I believe is Obama's easiet path to victory.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 08:56:08 PM »

I relaly dont think McCain can win without CO and NM.  Hes got to spend a lot of resources there regardless of polls.  Ohio is anyone's guess, but CO NM I believe is Obama's easiet path to victory.

I hear that McCain and Republicans have private polling that shows that if he picked Romney as VP, he would have about 5%-8% lead in Michigan.  Romney may be able to create a 1976-like Gerald Ford-like personal vote in the state that could help him win the state. 
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 09:05:04 PM »

I hear that McCain and Republicans have private polling that shows that if he picked Romney as VP, he would have about 5%-8% lead in Michigan.  Romney may be able to create a 1976-like Gerald Ford-like personal vote in the state that could help him win the state. 

Hehe.....if it's private, it's not likely real.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 03:42:24 PM »

You forgot to mention that there's a certain cadre of swing voters in NM who will shift incessantly from one candidate to another and often like to shift in the polling booth.  And there's also the graveyard vote in certain counties.

It's funny.  For a state that consistently elects corrupt Dem politicians at the local level, at the national level, they really can and do go every which a way (i.e. coattails don't occur)
Both the above posts are quite accurate. Smiley Hey, I was there with a front-row seat to the 2000 mess...King's last comment could very well be true. Grin And King, the ballot system has shifted three friggin times this decade in BernCo, and I'm not sure any of them work that well, although the current setup is probably the best...although, in a contingency you didn't mention, in the primary this year they printed too many ballots, as in, more ballots than there were people in BernCo, ostensibly to try and avoid running out of ballots. All had to be shredded afterwards...over a $1,000,000 loss, if I recall correctly. Roll Eyes

And Sam, you can probably guess that I'm almost one of those swing voters you describe, although I make up my mind sooner. Wink
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 12:52:04 PM »

Hmm, 13 year olds are being registered to vote in NM?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BU29aeF_Fg
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies