Al Franken apologizes to voters; blasts Bush/Coleman team
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:56:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Al Franken apologizes to voters; blasts Bush/Coleman team
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Al Franken apologizes to voters; blasts Bush/Coleman team  (Read 3338 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2008, 06:32:11 PM »

Crucial to Al Franken's electoral hopes is changing the parameters of the campaign dialgous. As long as the media is focused on Franken's overdue taxes, his lewd jokes, and his verbal gaffes, Franken will have a difficult time winning this election. With the GOP convention just over a month away, now is the time to refocus voters' attention on Norm Coleman's record of supporting Bush's failed policies. In this new ad, Franken acknowledge his past transgressions, and asks voters to focus on the "issues."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xtc1IQWtX4&eurl

I've been a scathing critic of Franken for most of this campaign, but I'm pleased to see that he's attempting to shift course and hammer Coleman's support of President Bush. If Franken can bring his negatives down to around 45% and maintain that this election is a referendum on Minnesota's number one fan of Bush's policies, Norm Coleman, Franken may win. It'll be a steep road for Franken, but he has the fiscal resources and the bright campaign team to try to pull it off.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »

Highlights of Election night - McCain victory speech, Obama concession speech and Franken concession speech.

Smiley
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:35:55 PM »

Highlights of Election night - McCain victory speech, Obama concession speech and Franken concession speech.

Smiley
<0.0005% chance. It's very unlikely that Obama will win by enough to carry Franken to victory, yet lose nationwide. If Obama loses nationwide, Minnesota will be close and Franken will lose.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 06:44:18 PM »

Smiley
<0.0005% chance. It's very unlikely that Obama will win by enough to carry Franken to victory, yet lose nationwide. If Obama loses nationwide, Minnesota will be close and Franken will lose.

A lot of MN voters split tickets between Pawlenty and Klobuchar.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »

Smiley

Well you got one out of three right, Phil...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 06:46:20 PM »

If Obama loses nationwide, Minnesota will be close and Franken will lose.

That's what I'm saying.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 06:49:25 PM »

That's what I'm saying.
I thought you wrote Coleman concession. Are you sure you didn't pull a fast-one on me and edit it to "Franken concession" seconds after you wrote the post? Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »

That's what I'm saying.
I thought you wrote Coleman concession. Are you sure you didn't pull a fast-one on me and edit it to "Franken concession" seconds after you wrote the post? Wink

I'm positive. I'd never make that kind of a typo. Seriously.  Tongue
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 06:53:43 PM »

That's what I'm saying.

I'm positive. I'd never make that kind of a typo. Seriously.  Tongue
Phew. For a second there I thought you'd lost it, Phil. Smiley
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 07:08:38 PM »

I'd have never have approved this ad for Franken.  It opens by telling the public that 'yes, you should have reservations about my past as an entertainer.'

Never mind that a past as an entertainer is a just plain ridiculous thing to be apologizing for.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 07:16:48 PM »

I'd have never have approved this ad for Franken.  It opens by telling the public that 'yes, you should have reservations about my past as an entertainer.'

Never mind that a past as an entertainer is a just plain ridiculous thing to be apologizing for.
Huh?  Before he attacks Coleman's lock-step pro-Bush voting record, Franken says," I'm Al Franken. Minnesotans expect a real debate.  Instead Norm Coleman and his allies are attacking me for things I said as a comedian. I'm not proud of every joke I've told. I know there's a difference between what you say as a comedian and what you do as a Senator."

Nothing about "reservations" about his "past as an entertainer." Maybe that's what you expected him to say.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 07:36:05 PM »

I adore fake apologies.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 07:44:39 PM »

What a stupid ad; he'll never be able to put his past behind him.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »

What a desperate loser.  No wonder his radio program failed.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 08:19:05 PM »

What a desperate loser.  No wonder his radio program failed.

It didn't fail; he quit to run for Senate.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 08:28:20 PM »

It failed on many levels.  He put it out of its misery.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 09:10:31 PM »

I strongly dislike Franken, but I was impressed by most of the ad. The attacks on Coleman and attempt to tie him to Bush seemed like more of an afterthought here, but then, it was a short ad. Still though, I have to think it’s never a good sign when a politician has to put out an ad apologizing for their past behavior. I’d have to think there would be a big risk of an ad like this just bringing the old issues up again in the average voters mind.

All that being said though, I thought it was a pretty good ad and might help redirect the message of Franken’s campaign.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 09:35:38 PM »

Smiley

im not sure about the first two.

but number 3 on the list would definitely be the highlight of my election night.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 10:38:07 PM »

this ad is pretty terrible.  reminds me why i think franken is headed where he is.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 12:52:43 AM »

Huh?  Before he attacks Coleman's lock-step pro-Bush voting record, Franken says," I'm Al Franken. Minnesotans expect a real debate.  Instead Norm Coleman and his allies are attacking me for things I said as a comedian. I'm not proud of every joke I've told. I know there's a difference between what you say as a comedian and what you do as a Senator."

Nothing about "reservations" about his "past as an entertainer." Maybe that's what you expected him to say.

He starts by saying that Norm Coleman is attacking him for jokes he told (his past as an entertainer).

He then follows up by saying that, indeed, he's not proud of every joke he's told (validating the criticism).

The rest of the ad is just non-specific drivel barely worth mentioning.

Shall I draw a diagram?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 01:03:18 AM »

He starts by saying that Norm Coleman is attacking him for jokes he told (his past as an entertainer).

He then follows up by saying that, indeed, he's not proud of every joke he's told (validating the criticism).

The rest of the ad is just non-specific drivel barely worth mentioning.

Shall I draw a diagram?
Shall I draw a lackluster, pedantic refutation. Wink Mr. Moderate, I think you've misconstrued Franken's intent. In short, he's arguing that he made off-color jokes that he's now disavows. He never mentions being an "entertainer," which is quite a nebulous term. The nightwalker that Republican Senator David Vitter slept with was an "entertainer," too.

Franken is reminding voters that Republican Norm Coleman (R-MN) has backed the Republican Bush/Cheney agenda 90% of the time. When the Republicans want a bill passed, they call up Republican Coleman who nine out of ten times accedes to the Republican leadership's support of the Bush agenda.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 01:27:00 AM »

I can't believe the DFL nominated this guy. My dog would be a better candidate. This state ought to be easy. Instead, it's an outside chance.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 02:05:47 AM »

Shall I draw a lackluster, pedantic refutation. Wink Mr. Moderate, I think you've misconstrued Franken's intent. In short, he's arguing that he made off-color jokes that he's now disavows. He never mentions being an "entertainer," which is quite a nebulous term. The nightwalker that Republican Senator David Vitter slept with was an "entertainer," too.

Franken is reminding voters that Republican Norm Coleman (R-MN) has backed the Republican Bush/Cheney agenda 90% of the time. When the Republicans want a bill passed, they call up Republican Coleman who nine out of ten times accedes to the Republican leadership's support of the Bush agenda.

I know what he INTENDED.  And I'm not really interested in having a discussion as to whether or not "telling jokes" qualifies as "entertaining."

ANYWAY, I'm sure you think it's a terrific ad, but if you'd crawl out of Al Franken's ass long enough to look at it objectively, you'd be disappointed.

"He's taken millions from big oil and special interests."  Seriously, best he could do?  It's a weak, non-specific charge.

And by "apologizing," he's just digging his hole deeper.  Remember how great Bob Torricelli's apology was?  (For Doug Forrester, that is.)

See, I like my political ads to be hard hitting and specific.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 02:29:04 AM »

I hope when Dianne Feinstein retires, Gallagher replaces her in the Senate.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 04:03:51 AM »

Hahaha, it made me laugh.

Sad to think the Democrats threw away such an easy pick-up opportunity...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies