Gerlach finally considers statewide run in 2010.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:03:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gerlach finally considers statewide run in 2010.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gerlach finally considers statewide run in 2010.  (Read 2534 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »

MW08 will love this! Hopefully, he catches this topic before he leaves for college.

http://www.thebulletin.us/site/index.cfm?newsid=19899710&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=576361&rfi=8

I disagree with the content of the article. They still think Gerlach is going to struggle every two years if he stays in the House. They also say Toomey is considering a run for Governor. This has been floated since 2004 but I think he's more interest in a Senate rematch.

Gerlach would be a serious candidate but would probably end Meehan's chance at the nomination and hand it to Corbett.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 02:08:57 PM »

Is suppose the necessary question comes up, being, can Gerlach beat Casey? I would guess no, since Gerlach is just a representative, but I don't know enough about Pennsylvania to say.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:16:09 PM »

Is suppose the necessary question comes up, being, can Gerlach beat Casey? I would guess no, since Gerlach is just a representative, but I don't know enough about Pennsylvania to say.

Gerlach would not beat Casey in either a Senate or Gubernatorial race. Casey has a strong base and Gerlach's is weak.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 02:32:17 PM »

Gerlach would not beat Casey in either a Senate or Gubernatorial race. Casey has a strong base and Gerlach's is weak.

Hmm. Guess we should try to persuade Gerlach to stay in PA-06 for a little longer. Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »

Hmm. Guess we should try to persuade Gerlach to stay in PA-06 for a little longer. Wink

Or challenge Casey in 2012 if he's still in the Senate. We need someone credible. Plus, the new PA 6 will be either much better or much worse for any Republican in 2012 after redistricting so we either keep it with someone else or lose it with Gerlach. If Gerlach is looking for a way out, that could be the way. I doubt anyone wants to voluntarily go out by losing to Casey though.

Then again, Casey might not be there or he might retire. Gerlach could win us that seat especially in a Presidential election year against a more liberal opponent.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 02:44:57 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2008, 03:05:08 PM by MarkWarner08 »

MW08 will love this! Hopefully, he catches this topic before he leaves for college.

http://www.thebulletin.us/site/index.cfm?newsid=19899710&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=576361&rfi=8

I disagree with the content of the article. They still think Gerlach is going to struggle every two years if he stays in the House. They also say Toomey is considering a run for Governor. This has been floated since 2004 but I think he's more interest in a Senate rematch.

Gerlach would be a serious candidate but would probably end Meehan's chance at the nomination and hand it to Corbett.
Good thing I checked the forum one last time today ...
Indeed.  This is great news. Maybe Dinniman will finally take the plunge if Gerlach vacates his seat.  A three-way tussle for the GOP nomination could seriously weaken the eventual nominee. In the end, I'd hope Gerlach won the nomination, so he wouldn't be tempted to pull a switch-a-roo if something odd happens to the GOP's PA-06 nominee.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »

I dont like this. As of right now, his jurisdiction ends 3 miles south of me, and I would like to keep it that way. To even play the odds....no thanks. I dont mind that hes a republican, its just that he comes off as such a follower, somehow moreso than most politicians.....
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 11:10:22 PM »

I don't think Gerlach should do anything besides run for PA-6, I can't really see him having that much appeal statewide. 

If his district gets badly gerrymandered in 2010, I think it might be best for him to retire gracefully and go into the private sector.  It's a shame to lose such a good politician, but there's not much he can do about it and I'm glad he's lasted this long.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 11:13:22 PM »

I don't think Gerlach should do anything besides run for PA-6, I can't really see him having that much appeal statewide. 

His ideology would be just fine.

nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »

I guess he does parallel Ridge a bit, but 1994 will probably be a much better year for the GOP than 2010 was and Gerlach can barely hold onto his house seat whereas Ridge did quite well for himself there, if memory serves.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 11:28:34 PM »

I guess he does parallel Ridge a bit, but 1994 will probably be a much better year for the GOP than 2010 was and Gerlach can barely hold onto his house seat whereas Ridge did quite well for himself there, if memory serves.

Well, it is a difficult district and we don't know how 2010 will be.  Wink

Anyway, I don't want Gerlach in 2010 unless Meehan decides against running (which he won't). I'd very likely support Gerlach over Corbett.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies