Ohio in 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:24:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ohio in 2004
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Ohio in 2004  (Read 10528 times)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2004, 03:16:30 PM »

hmmmm, I would argue that rogue nations, although dangerous, would not be too likely to provide terrorists with nuclear devices as such things could easily be traced back to them and a war with USA is not a desirable prospect for any nation. They would also need a means to fire such a bomb on the USA and that would not be easy as the USA controls most of the possible ways to launch it, I know for a fact that the UK cannot launch any of its nuclear weapons without American approval as they are all Submarine launched (SLBMs) and the submarines that have the capability for this are American, so we cannot launch them without the access codes which only the President is supposed to have access to.
MarkDel

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2004, 03:18:32 PM »

JFK,

Yes, but ICBM's are a different animal altogether, and many of them are "unaccounted for" from the old Soviet Republics. Plus, if Iran or Syria were to develop a weapon with a delivery system...it could get real ugly.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2004, 03:23:18 PM »

I think a little humour is always nice, but I understand your sentiment, though I would be cautious with stating so blankly what people belive or don't believe in.

I don't think rouge nations would take the risk, just like JFK said. And I don't think bin Laden is much of a threat anymore...that isn't the same thing as saying al-Qaeda or other terrorists aren't, but I think 9/11 was a once-in-a-lifetime event, he's burned now, and won't be aböe to do much ever again. But that's a guess, I'll admit to that.
aburr
Rookie

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2004, 03:34:28 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2004, 04:29:13 PM by aburr »

Ohio is without any doubt a fascinating state...

From Brand Whitlock's Forty Years of It...In the Ohio of those days it was natural to be a Republican it was more than that, it was inevitable that one should be a Republican; it was not a matter of intellectual choice, it was a process of biological selection. The Republican party was not a faction, not a group, not a wing, it was an institution, rooted like the oak-trees. It was elemental, like gravity, the sun, the stars, the ocean. One became, in Urbana and Ohio for many years, a Republican just as the Eskimo dons fur clothes. It was inconceivable that any self-respecting person should be a Democrat.

Jame Sundquest noted about this quote in Dynamics of the Party System, that by changing the place to Georgia, the same could have been written about what it meant to be a Democrat.

But things have certainly changed when Bush has a better shot in Georgia than in Ohio, and Kerry has a better shot in Ohio than in Georgia!

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2004, 03:37:19 PM »

Ohio is without any doubt a fascinating state...

From Brand Whitlock's Forty Years of It...In the Ohio of those days it was natural to be a Republican it was more than that, it was inevitable that one should be a Republican; it was not a matter of intellectual choice, it was a process of biological selection. The Republican party was not a faction, not a group, not a wing, it was an institution, rooted like the oak-trees. It was elemental, like gravity, the sun, the stars, the ocean. One became, in Urbana and Ohio for many years, a Republican just as the Eskimo dons fur clothes. It was inconceivable that any self-respecting person should be a Democrat.

Jame Sundquest noted about this quote in Dynamics of the Party System, that by changing the place to Georgia, the same could have been written about what it meant to be a Democrat.

But things have certainly changed when Bush as a better shot in Georgia than in Ohio, and Kerry has a better shot in Ohio than in Georgia!

Yes, Ohio was one of only 12 states voting for Dewey over FDR in 1944, and made up a quarter of Dewey's EVs. Ohio also voted for Nixon over Kennedy, but it's been a swing state on many occasions.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2004, 03:41:11 PM »

The problem with GA are those Newt-loving suburbs...
elcorazon

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2004, 03:46:49 PM »

JFK and Gustaf,

It's funny...but then again it's not funny. Guys like El Corazon really believe sh*t like that.
uh, not really mark.  Seriously, I never said Ashcroft was as bad a person as Bin Laden, nor did I diminish the atrocities Bin Laden is responsible for.  I disagree with our methods of "fighting terrorism" and I believe Ashcroft is a threat to our country, as is Scalia.  I believe despite Dubya's actions since 9/11, we are not any safer than we would be if anyone else had been president, maybe less so, since our "friends" have been given the cold shoulder, and our "word" is no longer considered very reliable.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2004, 03:48:25 PM »

JFK and Gustaf,

It's funny...but then again it's not funny. Guys like El Corazon really believe sh*t like that.
uh, not really mark.  Seriously, I never said Ashcroft was as bad a person as Bin Laden, nor did I diminish the atrocities Bin Laden is responsible for.  I disagree with our methods of "fighting terrorism" and I believe Ashcroft is a threat to our country, as is Scalia.  I believe despite Dubya's actions since 9/11, we are not any safer than we would be if anyone else had been president, maybe less so, since our "friends" have been given the cold shoulder, and our "word" is no longer considered very reliable.

Told you so Mark...
NHPolitico

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2004, 03:49:15 PM »

I'm rubber, you're glue...

Wink
NHPolitico

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2004, 03:54:40 PM »

In another thread, he's trying to tell me that terrorism is a relatively insignificant threat

GREENVILLE, S.C.--  Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts said during last night's Democratic presidential debate that the threat of terrorism has been exaggerated.

"I think there has been an exaggeration," Mr. Kerry said when asked whether President Bush has overstated the threat of terrorism. "They are misleading all Americans in a profound way."

Sen. John Edwards, who was born in this state and has said he must win here, took the first opportunity to disagree with Mr. Kerry, the victor in both the binding Democratic contests held so far -- the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primary.

"It's just hard for me to see how you can say there's an exaggeration when thousands of people lost their lives on September 11," Mr. Edwards said.

NHPolitico

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2004, 03:55:31 PM »

I'm sorry guys, I'm just not myself today.  I'll try to tone it down a little.

Ranting is fine if you're ranting against a politician and not another poster, IMO.
NHPolitico

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2004, 03:56:03 PM »

Of this Nation,

Frankly I'm stunned by many things Miami has said today. It's like someone else is using his poster name. In another thread, he's trying to tell me that terrorism is a relatively insignificant threat and that 99% of the American people could care less about the issue.

To be honest you'ld be amazed how many people don't really care about terrorism.

Polls show it's not the top issue.
NHPolitico

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2004, 03:57:34 PM »

Of this Nation,

Frankly I'm stunned by many things Miami has said today. It's like someone else is using his poster name. In another thread, he's trying to tell me that terrorism is a relatively insignificant threat and that 99% of the American people could care less about the issue.

Terrorism certainly is an important issue, but people have different ways of believing how the threat should be handled. I don't want to get into an Iraq discussion, but I don't believe that was the best way to handle terrorism.

Unfortunatley, a "war against terrorism", while a good idea in name, can only go so far. That's why it's called terrorism, because certain things that terrorists will do CANNOT be prevented. That's the whole point of terrorism. But, like anything, improvements can always be made.

Wars against common nouns usually aren't ever won.
NHPolitico

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2004, 03:59:07 PM »

I fear Ashcroft more than I fear Bin Laden...

Remember to tell that the families of the people who died on 9/11...

Remember to tell that to the terrorist who releases a dirty bomb and kills your family with radiation poisoning...

I gotta get out of here because I'm about to lose my cool.

I'm starting to remember why I'm a Republican even though I disagree with them on so many social issues.

At least the Republicans are rooting for the same team...you people are uning real...
Go away if you like.  This isn't a sporting event anyway.  I'm not "rooting for any team".  9/11 was a horrible event.  Bin Laden is a horrible person.  I just don't think he's as likely to impact our lives as Ashcroft is, that's all.  
You want me to really piss you off.  Here goes:
Antonin Scalia is a traitor and the 5 justices who selected Dubya as president are completely unable to perform their jobs as they are sworn to do.  They should be rotting in prison for their "performance".

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

Smiley
NHPolitico

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2004, 04:00:50 PM »

Okay heres a question how did this converation get here it was about Ohio?Huh

bandit73. No other answer is really necessary to your question, is it?
NHPolitico

« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2004, 04:02:09 PM »

I must say, in my opinion, at the moment, Osama Bin Laden is not that much of a threat because he is in hiding and hasn't been heard from much recently (to my knowledge at least)

That bin Laden. He makes more tapes than Steely Dan.
elcorazon

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2004, 04:03:31 PM »

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but sometimes I get a bit emotional over these things, especially when I start reading some posts by certain extreme right wingers around here, especially the religious right.  I think Ohio will be close, but somehow, I have a hard time seeing Bush lose it, sad to say.
NHPolitico

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2004, 04:08:51 PM »

hmmmm, I would argue that rogue nations, although dangerous, would not be too likely to provide terrorists with nuclear devices as such things could easily be traced back to them and a war with USA is not a desirable prospect for any nation.

I think it's quite effective to just make it clear that we are slow to anger but mighty when angry.  Saddam knew we could destroy him if he attacked us.
daniel27
Rookie

« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2004, 07:06:09 PM »

Ohio is still too close to call
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2004, 07:18:54 PM »

So are Georgia and Indiana.  It seems that Bush may have some trouble winning these states, using up a good bit of his warchest on the 20+15+11=46 EV's that he won last time on the line.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2004, 09:24:02 PM »

So are Georgia and Indiana.  It seems that Bush may have some trouble winning these states, using up a good bit of his warchest on the 20+15+11=46 EV's that he won last time on the line.
Bush will win GA and IN handily, unless Bayh or Cleland is the VP pick.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2004, 09:44:33 PM »

A poll released last Wednesday puts Ohio at 49-49-2. The poll was conducted by the University of Cincinnati.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2004, 09:45:26 PM »

Doesn't Bayh have like a 70% approval rating in Indiana?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2004, 08:10:09 AM »

Doesn't Bayh have like a 70% approval rating in Indiana?

I can't give you an exact number, but I know he is very popular there.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2004, 11:15:48 AM »

Good grief!

If the Democrats pick Evan Bayh to run for Vice-President, then they might as well just merge with the Republicans.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies