Italy Election Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:52:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy Election Maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Italy Election Maps  (Read 54653 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »

It might make a bit more sense if the map was white for places that the parties didn't contest.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2010, 08:55:43 PM »

It might make a bit more sense if the map was white for places that the parties didn't contest.

The only one where it might cause confusion is Forza Italia; in all other cases it's either very obvious or the places were the sort of places that they'd have polled extremely poorly in anyway. There's not much difference in practice between being on the ballot and polling 0.5% and not being on the ballot at all.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2010, 09:39:11 PM »

This is a ghastly rough map but it illustrates the breakthrough and that's the point:

Grosseto province. The northern division is Massa Marittima, the southern is Grosseto. Composition of the single member divisions is actually on Interior Ministry's elections archive as they break down results by comune. Smiley

The only problem is that there's no such useful information for divisions that split municipalities; like those in the larger cities. Still, I think it might be possible to make approximate maps for those as it's likely that they followed internal administrative boundaries to a reasonable extent. Besides, if it's a national map that's made such districts will be so small that it won't matter that much.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »

Sicily really loves them some Silvio.

I'm a little surprised by the strength of the Greens in Naples. I guess it makes sense since that constituency is mostly the city itself but even still. Their strength in the Northeast is really odd.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2010, 05:37:26 AM »

Is that 1994 ?

And what makes FI so strong in Sicilia ? Huh
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2010, 06:03:12 AM »

Is that 1994 ?

And what makes FI so strong in Sicilia ? Huh
The Mafia endorsement. Tongue (Or just the usual "yeah, we aren't that bad. Damn outsiders not understanding anything" mood.)

Who was AD?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2010, 06:09:31 AM »

I guess Sicily also liked the "new guy that can solve all of our problems" in spite (or maybe because) of the fact that he was a northern businessman.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2010, 06:17:37 AM »

I guess Sicily also liked the "new guy that can solve all of our problems" in spite (or maybe because) of the fact that he was a northern businessman.
"New" in the sense of "old wine, new bottle"? Tongue

I kind of like the PSI/PSDI maps. More ordinary southern folk who thought the north and the media had their knickers in a twist.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2010, 07:01:18 AM »

The big name in La Rete was Leoluca Orlando, who's in Italia dei Valori now (and still an MP).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2010, 09:16:46 AM »

Some centrist outfit that hoovered up people from the lay parties, briefly seemed to threaten doing alright, but then faded. Its policies seem to have been roughly those that the PRI used to stand for in theory, so I've used their colours.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2010, 09:24:50 AM »

I kind of like the PSI/PSDI maps. More ordinary southern folk who thought the north and the media had their knickers in a twist.

I enjoyed making them; actually had to adjust the keys when I saw that the PSI managed 8% in Basilicata and the PSDI 4% in Molise (which is... um... actually an increase on 1992). After laughing, of course.
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #136 on: December 20, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »

I enjoyed making them; actually had to adjust the keys when I saw that the PSI managed 8% in Basilicata and the PSDI 4% in Molise (which is... um... actually an increase on 1992). After laughing, of course.

In South almost everything depends on local candidates. Especially in 1994 when big parties failed, and the bew ones like Forza Italia had not the time to deepen thei roots everywhere, so in more rural places only local personalities counted.
 now there's a proportional system, not costituencies. so party's leader basically are candidate everywhere at the first or second place and then they choose depending on the people they want to favour in the regions.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »

1976; the PCI's best ever showing, though not actually the closet they came to finishing ahead of the DC's. Actually I think that 34% might be the highest ever polled by a Communist party in a General Election in 'Western' Europe, though someone will now come along and prove me wrong. Either way, an extraordinary result that led to the unusual political arrangements of the late 1970s in which the PCI actually propped up DC governments.

Couple of minor notes; there might be some small rounding inconsistencies in a couple of places for the minor parties because I've mostly been making this set while unable to sleep, and the deputy elected in Val d'Aosta ran on a joint PCI-PSI slate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #138 on: December 24, 2010, 12:29:06 AM »

Either way, an extraordinary result that led to the unusual political arrangements of the late 1970s in which the PCI actually propped up DC governments.

You can't say these things and then not elaborate, although I think I might have an inkling as to what you're talking about.
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #139 on: December 24, 2010, 05:06:24 AM »

Either way, an extraordinary result that led to the unusual political arrangements of the late 1970s in which the PCI actually propped up DC governments.

You can't say these things and then not elaborate, although I think I might have an inkling as to what you're talking about.

To avoid tensions DC and PCI for three years cooperated in the government, through communist abstensions in Parliament.
It's incohomprensible for a foreigner, and a little also for me.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2010, 05:37:57 AM »

The only thing that's incomprehensible is why the PCI agreed to it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2010, 10:53:51 AM »

It was part of Berlinguer's attempt to move the PCI out of the political ghetto; the so-called 'Historic Compromise'. It made a degree of sense, but it was based on a misinterpretation of the nature and structures of the DC regime (regrettably).
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2010, 03:14:46 AM »

It was part of Berlinguer's attempt to move the PCI out of the political ghetto; the so-called 'Historic Compromise'. It made a degree of sense, but it was based on a misinterpretation of the nature and structures of the DC regime (regrettably).

Ghetto is the natural place for a communist party. Unfotunately in Italy, unique case in europe, communist were the main opposizion to christian democats, not socialdemocratic. Take care in definitions, like "regime", being DC democratically elected as any othe party in Europe.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2010, 03:18:19 AM »

Ghetto is the natural place for a communist party. Unfotunately in Italy, unique case in europe, communist were the main opposizion to christian democats, not socialdemocratic. Take care in definitions, like "regime", being DC democratically elected as any othe party in Europe.

It was worth it. Look at the Italian Left now.  Smiley
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2010, 05:23:06 AM »

Look what? They changed now, but just because they HAD to change. they couldn't remain even behind Russia and Eastern Europe trend
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2010, 02:11:31 PM »

Look what? They changed now, but just because they HAD to change. they couldn't remain even behind Russia and Eastern Europe trend

I'm saying that they are a joke now even as a more sane bunch.  Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2010, 06:50:44 PM »

Ghetto is the natural place for a communist party.

Is that a statement of fact or an opinion of the way things ought to have been? (past tense important; there are no communist parties now. At least not in the sense that there was before the fall of the wall). I suspect you probably meant both, but the first is what's actually interesting, mostly because the leadership of the PCI were acutely aware of that and (unlike the leadership of, for example, the PCF) attempted to do something about it. Of course they got stuck and eventually split because it turned out that the gap between being a social democratic party and a Marxist-Leninist organisation was actually a wall. Interesting experiment, though it's difficult to see how it could have ever turned out differently.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well there's no doubt that they always topped the poll in general elections, so at that level, yeah. Beyond that things are at best debatable.

But I routinely use 'regime' to describe governments that I don't especially care for, even when elected so I'm not making those aspersions, anyway.
Stan
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »

Very interesting discussion, and compliments for everibody, because the Italian politic is very difficoult to understand (is difficoult for an Italian, and I think for a foreigner is too difficoult!).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies