Italy Election Maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:50:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy Election Maps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Italy Election Maps  (Read 54781 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: August 03, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »

That 1946 referendum map was interesting. I know the South was much more rural and backward than the north (no offense Phil), is that the reason they supported the monarchy or was there another reason?

Could go into a really detailed socio-political analysis stretching back to ancient Rome; southern Italy is quite interesting that way. But, yes, you have the gist of it, although the rural factor is not nearly as powerful as the anti-cooperative factor. Some areas of the north which voted in favor are also quite rural. And hatred of the northerners, whom the southerners suspected would dominate a republic. That, too.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:36:56 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2008, 07:40:29 PM by Verily »

Could go into a really detailed socio-political analysis stretching back to ancient Rome; southern Italy is quite interesting that way.

Times I know I have issues: when the phrase "really detailed socio-political analysis stretching back to ancient Rome," sounds tantalizing and intriguing.

I shouldn't have even mentioned it, now I'll spend a few hours trying to put things together. Basically has to do with southern Italy's somewhat unique political history as a perpetual backwater combined with its strong historical connections to Greece and the eastern Mediterranean. In really vague terms, southern Italy had never been ruled by anything but autocrats until the Italian republic was declared, which had strongly diluted any sense of community in the region (not just regionally, but at the town level as well). There were brief flowerings of communality at times, such as the short-lived Republic of Amalfi, but by and large such things passed the area by.

While your average person might question the government's motives, for example, and try to fix them if corrupt, the southern Italian assumes the government is corrupt and goes about trying to get as big of a cut from that corruption as possible. There are other places in the world like this, but southern Italy is most studied.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »

Old-ish question: Why is Lucca so much more favorable to the right than the rest of Tuscany (and neighboring areas in Emilia-Romagna)?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 12:16:55 AM »

Still hoping for an explanation on Lucca, which really stands out on the 1948 map.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies