Graduates in Political Science
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:53:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Graduates in Political Science
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Graduates in Political Science  (Read 1895 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:11:26 PM »

I have decided that I want to study Political Science in University when I leave High School at the end of 2010. My Mum, the one who kicked me out of the house and called me retarded believes that Political Science does not offer careers upon finishing a four to five year course in the subject. You know what she wants me to become instead? A Lawyer. Although I have no problem whatsoever with lawyers (to date), she cannot deny me what I want to study in University: Political Science.

So this leads me to ask, those on the forum who are graduates in Political Science do you have employment in the area? Thanks for your help.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:15:09 PM »

In the US, political science undergrad degrees get you something close to jack squat, which means they often end up in graduate political science programs (!) or law schools.

But you're in Australia right (or is the profile wrong).  Things may be different there.  Whatever, you have a lot of time to find something more useless to study, I guarantee it.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »

Maybe you could compromise - Arts/Law (if you enjoy Law, that is) and do poli sci for your Arts degree.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 09:31:30 PM »

That would be meeeeee!!!!!!!  I have a small consulting firm that I do on the side, but thats about it. I would totally making it an undergrad deal. I can tell you this much, it's a hard to get work full time in it. I would make it your backup. The classes are fun though if you really like the study.

The only thing I really have to show other than working on a few campaigns (including my own), is being a City Commissioner.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:32:42 PM »

In the US, there are plenty of people who do both (Poly Sci for undergrad and then Law school so they can get a real job). Me, for example, maybe. I don't know how things work down under though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 09:34:13 PM »

Well, I'm not a graduate but I am taking Poli Sci. I hate to say it but your Mom is kind of right. There aren't many career opportunities. It's a huge risk. If my ideal plans don't work out (working for a friend if he is elected and then, hopefully, winning election on my own a few years after college), I plan on either teaching or consulting but even consulting is a risk.

Don't give up on it though. People frequently question me about my future career and they ask it in a negative way. And as they do it, it makes me more determined to make it work.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:12:25 PM »

Switch to economics ASAP. That is what I did before it became too late. Poli Sci outside of political philosophy (food for the mind) is an empty discipline.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:29:55 PM »

Switch to economics ASAP. That is what I did before it became too late. Poli Sci outside of political philosophy (food for the mind) is an empty discipline.

And economics isn't? Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 11:25:55 PM »

Yep. I went into school thinking I wanted to do poli sci, but I realized that all my teachers were left wing and the degree would get me no where after I graduated. I switched to Business Administration/Econ if I don't get admitted into the B school.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:45:34 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2008, 11:51:26 PM by Torie »

And economics isn't? Tongue

No it isn't actually. It helped make a seemingly chaotic planet in my mind, more understandable and predictable. Don't knock it until you've tried it. And it has helped my in my legal career immensely. When economics is deeply in play, I often can drop kick the opposition with ease. They hardly know what hit them sometimes. Sometimes, they can't even figure out the real economic damages, and rely on drone experts, who are well drones. I love what I do to them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 11:49:42 PM »

Yep. I went into school thinking I wanted to do poli sci, but I realized that all my teachers were left wing and the degree would get me no where after I graduated. I switched to Business Administration/Econ if I don't get admitted into the B school.

Don't eschew professors based on their point of view. Big mistake. Eschew professors who are drones. You would profit greatly I suspect from some really sharp liberal professors, Duke. I certainly did. I loved it. It annealed my mind. Put your preconceptions to the challenge. Test them.  Keep a rigorous open mind. And when some professor is faking it, figure out how to "drop" them, and make them sweat.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 12:42:10 AM »

Don't eschew professors based on their point of view. Big mistake. Eschew professors who are drones. You would profit greatly I suspect from some really sharp liberal professors, Duke. I certainly did. I loved it. It annealed my mind. Put your preconceptions to the challenge. Test them.  Keep a rigorous open mind. And when some professor is faking it, figure out how to "drop" them, and make them sweat.

I have heard that many times. I mainly switched because Poli Sci was a useless major. I do want to go to law school, but if those plans fall through, a Business/economics degree is much more useful than a Poli Sci one.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 12:50:41 AM »

Poli Sci sucks, but it sucks because it has no real intellectual discipline outside of political philosophy, not because the discipline is infested with Lefties. That is my point. Don't eschew Lefties, provided that they are smart ones. And you will find that there are.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 12:53:26 AM »

I have heard that many times. I mainly switched because Poli Sci was a useless major. I do want to go to law school, but if those plans fall through, a Business/economics degree is much more useful than a Poli Sci one.

Do both if you can...I double majored.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 01:11:42 AM »

I'm going for it now but I have no friggin' clue what I'm actually going to do with it. Wish me luck.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 03:11:50 AM »

Jesus.... overreacting much.

You do political science (as I did) not necessarily because of direct career prospects. The BA has never been a professional degree - and never will be. But a combined degree with something "practical" is always a good bet.

The usual destination is to join us in the public service.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 07:12:49 AM »

First off, I have a BA in political science and am I using it professionally? Of course not!

If I didn't go into the Army, and with hindsight, I would have selected a different major like business or finance or economics. There is no job field directed at political science unless you plan to go to law school or become a teacher. Keep in mind, it is the department of nut jobs. You would have to deal with academics and students that are either hackish or don't make any sense whatsoever. It would be like being surrounded by Josh22, ChrisfromNJ or gporter all the damn time.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 07:22:02 AM »

All of my professors were hardcore liberals, and I just kept on working. I didn't mind though, I just learned out of the books, and left all their views at the door.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 07:34:54 AM »

Get a real degree, while you still can.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2008, 08:23:53 AM »

Wise.  As is doing economics instead of poli sci, imho

Bet you can't guess what my college major was - I think I've mentioned it on the site before, but it's not what you would expect.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 08:24:06 AM »

I plan on majoring in PoliSci or History, but then again I plan on doing a 3-3 law program
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 11:58:33 AM »

Bet you can't guess what my college major was - I think I've mentioned it on the site before, but it's not what you would expect.

It was physics or something intimidating like that wasn't it? By the way, the best judge on the bench in Orange County was a physicist before he went to law school later on. He is now on the Appellate bench. His IQ was about 40 points higher than the average on the Superior Court.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »

I  have a Poli Sci degree but I have a completely unrelated minor which I'm pretty sure played a role in getting my current job (after all they told us only 5% of applicants even make it to training), so that might be something to look into.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 12:09:14 PM »

It was physics or something intimidating like that wasn't it? By the way, the best judge on the bench in Orange County was a physicist before he went to law school later on. He is now on the Appellate bench. His IQ was about 40 points higher than the average on the Superior Court.

Way off actually.  I was never much of a science guy, even though I read Scientific American every once in a blue moon.  Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 12:44:56 PM »

I recall you mentioning something about art school once, Spade. So I'm gonna say an art degree.

I'm majoring in poli sci, with a double major in economics.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies