Opinion of Friedrich Nietzsche
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:55:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Friedrich Nietzsche
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of Nietzsche?
Positive
Neutral
Negative
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Opinion of Friedrich Nietzsche  (Read 6217 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2008, 03:09:09 PM »

Since my previous poll wasn't so popular, I decided to jump to this one a day early. For better or for worse, the influence of Nietzsche on modern philosophy is immense. So, what is your opinion of his philosophy?
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »

I think he is great! I like his opinion of women. Not women It's but the theme of women.
To me he seems to touch bases on the important things. But that is just me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:21:09 PM »

I think he is great! I like his opinion of women. Not women It's but the theme of women.
To me he seems to touch bases on the important things. But that is just me.

Could you be more specific? I find it interesting that you like his opinion on "the theme of women."
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »

That he would make rude comments but still think they are equal. Oh don't forget he also mocked men. I find it interesting that even if he thinks one way he also stats to think another. He thinks women are equal but does not figtht for them. I wonder if he felt pressure to vote that way?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »

That he would make rude comments but still think they are equal. Oh don't forget he also mocked men. I find it interesting that even if he thinks one way he also stats to think another. He thinks women are equal but does not figtht for them. I wonder if he felt pressure to vote that way?

He mocked everyone. Don't forget that he was strongly anti-democracy (one of the things that I dislike the most about him).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 03:41:06 PM »

Mixed, but generally positive. That doesn't mean I agree with all of his ideas.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 03:44:42 PM »

A vain prick.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:22:34 PM »

He was a sicko, but mixed. Hitler gave him a bad rap.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:28:28 PM »

Torie,
You do realise that Hitler just turned his words around. You can do that to anyone as long as you want to turn the words around.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 12:16:17 AM »

Torie,
You do realise that Hitler just turned his words around. You can do that to anyone as long as you want to turn the words around.

Torie said that Hitler gave him a bad rap, meaning twisted his words. Anyway, the only way in which Hitler twisted his words were to racialize his "philosophy". I don't think that's how Nietzsche intended it, but it's inevitable in social darwinism imho.

As for my opinion of the man, I think he was pretty pathetic. I honestly can't see how he's been so influential. He was more of a social critic than a philosopher, and his ideas were either ludicrous or had already been written about by other more worthy philosophers.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:31:46 AM »

Negative
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 01:07:28 AM »

One of the most disgusting pieces of trash ever to live. Nazi piece of garbage.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 01:08:16 AM »

Torie,

Torie said that Hitler gave him a bad rap, meaning twisted his words. Anyway, the only way in which Hitler twisted his words were to racialize his "philosophy". I don't think that's how Nietzsche intended it, but it's inevitable in social darwinism imho.

As for my opinion of the man, I think he was pretty pathetic. I honestly can't see how he's been so influential. He was more of a social critic than a philosopher, and his ideas were either ludicrous or had already been written about by other more worthy philosophers.

I'm curious as to what exactly you mean by "racialize his philosophy." A lot of Nietzsche's ideas do border on social Darwinism (especially his concept of the "will to power"), though there are more degrees of separation between them than that.

After all, Nietzsche was fiercely anti-dogmatic, attacking all forms of religion. He was also a proud Atheist & anti-Nationalist, though I suppose that ties into the racialization of his philosophy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 02:43:46 AM »

He must have been a miserable louse to be around while he was living.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 07:03:45 AM »

Well, Nietzsche was converted into a Nazi icon by his sister so everyone considered him a Nazi. Then that was revised. According to my philosophy professor this has led to a revision of Nietzsche that has gone too far and ignores the fact that his views were pretty disgusting. I have read no original Nietzsche, only qoutes from second-hand sources both of whom were very negative towards him. Based on all that I know, negative, but I wouldn't consider it an informed opinion.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 10:38:31 AM »

"God is dead."    --- Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead."    --- God
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 11:09:08 AM »

Well, Nietzsche was converted into a Nazi icon by his sister so everyone considered him a Nazi. Then that was revised. According to my philosophy professor this has led to a revision of Nietzsche that has gone too far and ignores the fact that his views were pretty disgusting. I have read no original Nietzsche, only qoutes from second-hand sources both of whom were very negative towards him. Based on all that I know, negative, but I wouldn't consider it an informed opinion.

I can say that I've read Beyond Good & Evil & part of Twilight of the Idols. Some of his views were rather terrible. For example, his hatred of women & of democracy.

Nevertheless, you probably would not like him much anyway due to him being a subjectivist. After all, he's the one who said that "the falseness of a judgment is not necessarily an objection to that judgment" (Beyond Good & Evil, aphorism 4). He was also the forebear of the Continental school of philosophy, for what it's worth.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 05:00:06 PM »

^^^^^^^^

Actually From the small segments of Beyond Good & Evil I have read I think some of his basic concepts are good (Haven't read anything else of him) and I don't totally disagree with his view of 19th Century Christianity (though not Christianity in General) but his Aristocratic radicalism and general contempt of human beings that weren't Nietzsche made him a very horrible person.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 01:07:51 AM »

Torie,

I'm curious as to what exactly you mean by "racialize his philosophy." A lot of Nietzsche's ideas do border on social Darwinism (especially his concept of the "will to power"), though there are more degrees of separation between them than that.

After all, Nietzsche was fiercely anti-dogmatic, attacking all forms of religion. He was also a proud Atheist & anti-Nationalist, though I suppose that ties into the racialization of his philosophy.

I think that it's quite easy to move from social darwinism to racism, and so it wasn't a huge leap for the Nazis.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 01:22:42 AM »

Torie,

I think that it's quite easy to move from social darwinism to racism, and so it wasn't a huge leap for the Nazis.

He had some ideas that were conducive to Naziism. For example, his idea that people need conflict to thrive. Of course, Hitler was able to conveniently ignore Nietzsche's attacks on things like religion & Nationalism.

You know, after seeing that a lot of the people here have negative opinions of Nietzsche due to his apathy towards less intelligent and/or independent people & hatred of democracy, I'm thinking about starting a poll for Richard Rorty. Would anyone like me to do that?
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 03:36:43 PM »

In Heaven, all the interesting people are missing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »

In Heaven, all the interesting people are missing.

Much agreed. As Isaac Asimov put it:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »

An interesting guy. I never got that into him, my brother did.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »

Nietzsche died in 1900. He wasn't even alive when the German Worker's Party formed (soon to become the NSDAP, the nazi party).

...general contempt of human beings that weren't Nietzsche made him a very horrible person.

This is a superficial reading of Nietzsche. His contempt boiled more down to the concepts, and ghosts people latch onto, a sort of traditionalism that he saw as limiting man. His philosophy had more to do with how to uplift mankind, not as a basis to despise. That's not to say he didn't vehemently dislike much of the western world's glorification of a "slave mentality", as he called it, but in the end, to undo the damage he saw that keeps man down.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 09:44:18 PM »

Nietzsche died in 1900. He wasn't even alive when the German Worker's Party formed (soon to become the NSDAP, the nazi party).

BRTD is too much of an objectivist to even consider liking Nietzsche, even if he accepted that Nietzsche wasn't a nazi.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies