Keep your tires inflated !
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:49:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Keep your tires inflated !
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Keep your tires inflated !  (Read 3722 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 11:35:33 PM »

Ya except we are not going to check our tire pressures.

It is quite the arduous task. Takes me a whole 60, sometimes 90 seconds to check all 4 tires from start to finish.

Definitely not worth it just to get 1-2 MPG's better mileage, make my tires last thousands of miles longer and greatly increase my chances of avoiding a fatal blowout on the highway.....no.

Well I take my hat off to you, Nym. I have never seen anybody check the air in their tires, before driving off to work myself.
zombones

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 11:39:49 PM »

pee pee doo doo

http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/2008/08/05/mccain-takes-air-out-of-tire-pressure-debate/

Posted by Matthew Bigg
HUNTINGTON, W. Va - Republican John McCain appeared to back down on Tuesday in his dispute with his opponent Barack Obama over tire pressure.

Last week in St. Louis, Obama told an audience that steps such as inflating tires to the correct levels could make a difference when it comes to conserving fuel.

Cue gleeful mockery from McCain. Obama was naive, inexperienced and not talking straight to the American people about energy, he said.

His campaign went further, distributing to reporters tire gauges engraved with the words “Obama’s energy plan.”

Predictably, Obama hit back calling McCain’s mockery “ignorant,” arguing his plans were being misrepresented and saying that experts backed his call over tire pressure. Equally predictably, McCain’s camp hit back.

The surprise came during a telephone town hall meeting McCain held on Tuesday with voters in Pennsylvania.

“Obama said a couple of days ago says we all should inflate our tires. I don’t disagree with that. The American Automobile Association strongly recommends it,” McCain said.

But he kept up his broad criticism of Obama on energy: “I … don’t think that that (inflating tires) is a way to become energy independent.”

The United States’ energy challenges will be a central factor in the months leading up to the election. But when it comes to how far to inflate your tires, the air seems to have gone out of the dispute.

Photo credit Reuters/Mike Blake (Gas station near San Diego)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 12:39:30 AM »

Props to McCain for realizing that this is not a winning mock-issue, I'm actually proud of him.  They were smart to run with it, since it made a good gag, but once Obama started responding properly and the science & media started to show signs of blowing him up over it, he dropped it cold.  Obama's claim that McCain takes pride in being ignorant was newsworthy and close enough to the truth that the issue started to become a losing one.

It would have been great if he could make his claim stick in the public consciousness that tire gauges were Obama's solution to the energy crisis,  but once it started to slide, he did the right thing.

Again, McCain's camp is getting smarter.  He seized on a good issue but still knew when to fold.  I'm honestly impressed, I thought his campaign was too disjointed to do this.  I'm going to give them a higher chance of winning just for this.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 10:33:27 AM »

The thing is, China will be getting all the oil just outside US waters because we're too stupid to do it.  Or have convinced ourselves it'll wreck the environment.  And France supplies the majority of its electrical power with nuclear using technology developed right here in the USA, while we don't because we have convinced ourselves that storage of waste material is impossible.  As is the case with most homeless drug addicts, our situation can be traced to poor decisions.  We have made our own collective bed, so it's fitting that we should have to sleep in it.  I do think Obama is right that we should try to use less, but I am also glad Obama has changed his tune about offsore drilling.  Now, someone needs to school the congress about the efficacy of allowing US power companies to build nukyular reactors, and someone needs to convince the yuppies and planned suburban housing developers that those big windmills aren't so ugly after all.  There's this cracker billionaire named Pickens doing commercials all the time about promoting alternative fuels--when he's not swiftboating the competition, that is.  He says we should start with wind and natural gas, but not be afraid to go nukyular eventually.  I think he's right.

Come on, that's all just a bunch of silly right-wing talking points, angus.  China will 'Get all the oil'?  What oil?  I think the point is there's precious little left to get.  No, oil's passe, alas, convenient as it has been.  As for nuclear sure, but there's no need as we have plenty of coal for now (we have no electrical power problems, just transport problems).  So really there's no solution for the problem we have, just Republicans' suggestions of solutions which don't effect the problem but which at least create profits for narrow interest groups.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 11:21:16 AM »

The true stupidity here is thinking that all Americans could be convinced to do something like this en masse when the relative benefit to them is almost unnoticable.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »

The thing is, China will be getting all the oil just outside US waters because we're too stupid to do it.  Or have convinced ourselves it'll wreck the environment.  And France supplies the majority of its electrical power with nuclear using technology developed right here in the USA, while we don't because we have convinced ourselves that storage of waste material is impossible.  As is the case with most homeless drug addicts, our situation can be traced to poor decisions.  We have made our own collective bed, so it's fitting that we should have to sleep in it.  I do think Obama is right that we should try to use less, but I am also glad Obama has changed his tune about offsore drilling.  Now, someone needs to school the congress about the efficacy of allowing US power companies to build nukyular reactors, and someone needs to convince the yuppies and planned suburban housing developers that those big windmills aren't so ugly after all.  There's this cracker billionaire named Pickens doing commercials all the time about promoting alternative fuels--when he's not swiftboating the competition, that is.  He says we should start with wind and natural gas, but not be afraid to go nukyular eventually.  I think he's right.

Come on, that's all just a bunch of silly right-wing talking points, angus.  China will 'Get all the oil'?  What oil?  I think the point is there's precious little left to get.  No, oil's passe, alas, convenient as it has been.  As for nuclear sure, but there's no need as we have plenty of coal for now (we have no electrical power problems, just transport problems).  So really there's no solution for the problem we have, just Republicans' suggestions of solutions which don't effect the problem but which at least create profits for narrow interest groups.

Though I disagree with your claim that we have no electrical power problems, I do agree that our transport problem is more immediate, and I have often posted of the need to invest in more public transit infrastructure.  My wife and I have also begun to buy locally-produced meat and vegetables, when possible.  Every thursday, in fact, we meet with a farmer who supplies our eggs and other vegetables.  We do drive to that meeting, but it is only once a week and only a few miles away.  I encourage others to buy locally-produced goods as well, and to considering walking and cycling to work.

Our electrical problem is related to the fact that our reliance on fossil fuels for electricity is growing, precisely because you and others do not see the problem.  Coal produces carbon dioxide as well, more even than the combustion of other fossil fuels, so if you're considering alternative energy it seems that nuclear power and wind and solar energy are safer alternatives than coal. 

And, yes, many petroleum engineers claim that we are near the end of cheap oil, and I don't dispute that, but given our current reliance on oil and the effect on the global economy when Americans see their fuel prices increase, Obama's new position on drilling makes sense to me.  Whether he came by the position due to political expedience or because of some epiphany makes little difference to me.  We are entering an adjustment period, or are about to, and during that period, if someone's going to have whatever oil exists, I'd rather it be US companies than the Chinese, because it will likely be done with greater environmental oversight and have a more positive effect on the US if the Americans explore and recover the oil than if the Chinese do it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 03:38:59 PM »

So Opebo, you are a coal fan eh?  I guess I will dis-invite you to the next Friends of the Earth ball. Tongue
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 03:53:06 PM »

angus, isn't the market for world oil global? I mean, the US or China or Azerbaijan could be drilling all the oil in the world, but the price would still be about the same for everyone. You may be right about the environmental oversight, but then again, the country within whose territorial waters the oil is being drilled should have that ultimate regulatory authority.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »

Ya except we are not going to check our tire pressures.

It is quite the arduous task. Takes me a whole 60, sometimes 90 seconds to check all 4 tires from start to finish.

Definitely not worth it just to get 1-2 MPG's better mileage, make my tires last thousands of miles longer and greatly increase my chances of avoiding a fatal blowout on the highway.....no.

Well I take my hat off to you, Nym. I have never seen anybody check the air in their tires, before driving off to work myself.

No, I don't have time then....I do it after work. Wink

And it only needs to be checked once per month.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 10:00:35 PM »

The true stupidity here is thinking that all Americans could be convinced to do something like this en masse when the relative benefit to them is almost unnoticable.

Yes, but people notice a 10 cents drop of gas at the pumps, which would be roughly equivalent. I'm sure someone will pull out the math here since I'm being lazy, but least this is something that  individuals have control over rather than bitching about how it's too expensive to drive anymore.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 03:33:34 AM »

So Opebo, you are a coal fan eh?  I guess I will dis-invite you to the next Friends of the Earth ball. Tongue

Not a fan necessarily, but I'd certainly rather burn it than turn off my air-conditioner.  I'm no environmentalist.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 08:44:44 AM »

angus, isn't the market for world oil global? I mean, the US or China or Azerbaijan could be drilling all the oil in the world, but the price would still be about the same for everyone. You may be right about the environmental oversight, but then again, the country within whose territorial waters the oil is being drilled should have that ultimate regulatory authority.

Price Theory is fine on paper, but it doesn't always work.  Mostly it's the assumption of unfettered access to everything by everyone I suppose.  For example, prior to March 2003 automotive fuel cost about 33.5 dinars per liter (4 cents US per US gallon, roughly).  Some stuff happened, then later, after the palace lay in ruins and the museum was looted, the gas was about six times that much.  So you had western reporters reporting that all the cabbies were bitching about 25 cent per gallon gasoline.  Now, I"m sure I haven't paid 25 cents for a gallon of gasoline in my life.  I can remember the upper fifties if I think about it.  Have some fuzzy mental image of a sign saying 569, with the nine being really small.  Never understood the little nine.  Still don't.  Anyway, but that's the price of auto fuel.  You were talking about the price of oil.  The price of a certain type of oil, quoted in US dollars per 42-gallon whiskey barrel may be the same for everyone.  Funny everyone still quotes oil in US dollars per 42-gallons.  The staying power of the Pennsylvania robber-barons is pretty impressive.  West Texas intermediate crude is 128 per barrel or whatever.  That's market driven.  But you can't say for sure how the discover of a major field off the coast would affect that, and there's no reason to think that the cost would be the same no matter what company does it.  The US has tested technology for this, others may not.  Then again, no matter the local authority, the companies may be pressured into behaving differently regarding the local ecology if they're headquartered in a place where people are free to make big banners and march outside your offices than if you're in a place where the government will bring tanks and run folks over if they try to march with signs.  And that probably also affect the price.   But these are technical details that do not necessarily matter.  I simply stated that much of our problem is our own fault.  But we seem to be reacting to it.  Obama has come around.  Good for him.  As you know I generally favor him, but we disagree on a few key issues.  His intransigence is probably not as great as mine.  I'm very stubborn.  So it'll have to be him to change.  Glad to see it coming.  I also can follow advice.  I did buy a gauge about a week ago.  fifty cents.  It was from the Salvation Army Thrift Store.  Seems to work well.  Turned out my car tires were sitting at about 24 psi.  Pretty low.  Well, my wife's car tires.  So I aired them up to 35 psi.  I should also do my car, but honestly a tank of gas will last four months in my car.  I drive so rarely.  So I'm in no hurry to pull it out of the driveway just to drive to an air compressor.  Seems more wasteful than not driving it at all.  Anyway, my car has michelins.  And fairly new ones at that.  And they still look good and tight.  So I'm not bending over for it.  Screw it.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 10:31:55 AM »

Yes, but people notice a 10 cents drop of gas at the pumps, which would be roughly equivalent. I'm sure someone will pull out the math here since I'm being lazy, but least this is something that  individuals have control over rather than bitching about how it's too expensive to drive anymore.

Regardless, no one is actually going to do it, because the cost of tuning up your car is non-zero in both money and time.  Getting any significant oil savings from people suddenly deciding to check their tires is ridiculous.  People just do not behave that way.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 12:45:25 PM »

Regardless, no one is actually going to do it, because the cost of tuning up your car is non-zero in both money and time.  Getting any significant oil savings from people suddenly deciding to check their tires is ridiculous.  People just do not behave that way.

Some one disagrees:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2008/04/23/084957.html

It looks like the personal benefits are non-zero, as well. That's more than you can say for recycling.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »

ABC News said tire inflating would save approx. 800,000 barrels a day while drilling in the gulf would add 1.25 million barrels a day.  It's a 450k difference.

Right.  The 800 thousand would be saved immediately.  The 1.25 million wouldn't come for about seven years.
And this isn't Obama's whole plan by any means...

Exactly right. 
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »

Some one disagrees:

You misunderstand the statement.  If everyone made a small change, then yes, the net result would be significant.  But people are not going to make that small change, because the work and money required for them to make that small change is too prohibitive.  Especially considering that most people wouldn't even notice a reduction in fuel efficiency due to underinflated tires.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »

Some one disagrees:

You misunderstand the statement.  If everyone made a small change, then yes, the net result would be significant.  But people are not going to make that small change, because the work and money required for them to make that small change is too prohibitive.  Especially considering that most people wouldn't even notice a reduction in fuel efficiency due to underinflated tires.

I don't understand. The Auto Club's is urging people to make that change. Why would they bother to urge people to make the change if they felt there was no chance of anyone actually doing it? You can check the pressure in your tires in about 15 minutes with a pressure gauge. Most gas stations offer free air. If the savings really approach $300-$400 per year, the driving feel is improved (as it should be), and it was considered the environmentally responsible thing to do, then I don't see why a significant number of people wouldn't do it.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 03:00:02 PM »

I don't understand. The Auto Club's is urging people to make that change. Why would they bother to urge people to make the change if they felt there was no chance of anyone actually doing it? You can check the pressure in your tires in about 15 minutes with a pressure gauge. Most gas stations offer free air. If the savings really approach $300-$400 per year, the driving feel is improved (as it should be), and it was considered the environmentally responsible thing to do, then I don't see why a significant number of people wouldn't do it.

The problems are these:
(1) Most people are unlikely to seriously view the savings to be that high, even if you tell them flat out that they will indeed be that high.
(2) Low tire pressure is a common sign that tires need to be replaced.
(3) Low tire pressure is not a problem that faces all drivers at all times, or even faces one driver on a continuous basis.  When tire pressure gets low enough, people notice and take steps to remedy it.  In the mean time, a previously well inflated tire will likely become flat.

Getting underinflated tires off the road is as logistically difficult as getting people to do an oil change every 3,000 miles.  There are plenty of excuses not to, and even though there are negative consequences to the lack of action, few people ever seriously notice them on a car-by-car basis.

Listen, I agree that yeah, we should get our cars' tires inflated if they're low on air.  No brainer.

It still has nothing to do with whether or not we should drill off the coasts.  It's just a sleight of hand.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 03:16:39 PM »

The problems are these:
(1) Most people are unlikely to seriously view the savings to be that high, even if you tell them flat out that they will indeed be that high.
(2) Low tire pressure is a common sign that tires need to be replaced.

I don't see how that's relevant. If a tire needs to be replaced, replace it by all means; not every low pressure tire needs to be replaced.

I don't see how this is relevant either. If low tire pressure is not a problem at the moment, then there is no problem. If the pressure is low today though, it will be at least as low tommorrow, and so on. The point is to catch the problem well before it reaches the point where it is noticeable by physical inspection. I don't see how this increases the likelihood of flat tires.

I think these points are exactly illustrative of why public service announcements that remind people of the potential benefits to themselves and society of performing this maintenance are useful. The whole point is to change society's psychology about what is a "normal" thing to do to maintain your car. 40 years ago, no one thought that a surgeon general's warning would actually get nicotine addicted people to stop smoking. You would've been laughed out of the smoke-filled room, and rightly so. But lo and behold, the smoking rate began to decline at almost the same moment the warning came out. Small steps.

Basically what you're saying is drilling is an easier solution because the average person doesn't have to lift a finger & thus it'll more likely get done. Smiley Agreed. As I suggested a while ago, I have no problem with drilling. By all means, let's do the Hilton plan. However, I see nothing wrong with urging people to check their tires and I don't think the cost is so prohibitive that it's impossible that large numbers of people would be willing to do it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 11:34:48 PM »

"Tires are the Rodney Dangerfield of the automotive world.  Even though they're the only component of the car that actually touches the pavement, they get no respect.  Tire maintenance key to safety, fuel economy."   
    --NASCAR press release entitled "Tire maintenance key to safety, fuel economy", 2006.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2008, 12:06:43 AM »

Anyone else think its funny that McCain made fun of Obama for knowing how to keep up a car? I mean, how everyday-non elitist is it to know basic car maintanance. Are grease-monkeys and amatuer car enthusiasts really Obama supporters...

I mean, come on. If Obama makes fathers responsibility a cornerstone of his social platform, will McCain demand that the real solution involves Education reform instead of personal responsibility...

Yeah, those Republicans... they hate personal responsibilty
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2008, 12:09:54 AM »

This idea that inflating tires is even really a part of Obama's energy plan at all is kind of absurd. He was just making an off handed remark in an attempt to show how little benefit we'd get from drilling (that the benefits would be so small that even something as small as inflating your tires properly would be more beneficial than offshore drilling).

Of course, it doesn't change the fact that it is an excellent idea for safety reasons and for the longevity of your tires, and thus would be a worthwhile thing to do even if it weren't for the fuel saving benefits that it also provides.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2008, 02:16:10 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2008, 02:18:39 AM by Politico »

Obama needs to sum up his energy policy with a catchy acronym by saying he is in favor of energy that is "ACDC: Abudant, cheap, domestic and clean."

That means a laser beam focus on renewable resources, clean coal and nuclear energy.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2008, 03:15:20 AM »

Obama needs to sum up his energy policy with a catchy acronym by saying he is in favor of energy that is "ACDC: Abudant, cheap, domestic and clean."

That means a laser beam focus on renewable resources, clean coal and nuclear energy.

That would mean he'd actually have to support such a policy.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2008, 08:18:08 AM »

Can we have Obama inflate our tires himself? That way, we'll know for sure they'll be full of hot air.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies