"Dark Horse" VP picks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:17:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  "Dark Horse" VP picks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: "Dark Horse" VP picks  (Read 4069 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »

Kit Bond?  If McCain thinks he needs to shore up the midwest...

No one in the midwest outside of Missouri cares about Bond in any remote way.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 12:58:45 PM »

Kit Bond?  If McCain thinks he needs to shore up the midwest...

No one in the midwest outside of Missouri cares about Bond in any remote way.

Also, Bond is 69 years old.  One would think that McCain might want someone younger.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »

Fox also was unable to win a Republican-held open State Rep seat in a 2004 comeback bid, losing it 52–47.

Wasn't he into some sort of mysticism or psychics?  Also, didn't he only win in 1996 by 10 votes?

Hypnosis!

Oh yeah! How could I forget? I think he actually lost 54% - 44%.

To be fair, though, he lost in a district that was long held by the GOP but it's a liberal district (RINO land and very liberal Democrats). It still has a GOP registration advantage but that's meaningless.

Just a note - He lost to the fastest rising star in the PA Democratic party. The guy will either be a leader in the State House for quite some time or the next Congressman from PA 13.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 02:35:09 PM »

I think Sununu would be a good pick for McCain's running mate, unfortunately he's got that whole being defeated for re-election thing coming up. He was my top pick for awhile.

True, it would be unusual (that's why he's a dark horse).  But really, why not?  He's going to lose that race anyway, so why not drop out and run for veep?  If being popular in your home state is a prerequisite for being a running mate, then why is Romney being considered?  He would surely lose any statewide election in MA.  (Heck, Romney went a step further by running for *president* while being unpopular in his home state.)

Oh sure but I think Sununu's committal to his senate race ultimately rules him out, even as a dark horse.

He should have declined to run for re-election and just hoped to be McCain's pick.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 02:45:28 PM »

I think Sununu would be a good pick for McCain's running mate, unfortunately he's got that whole being defeated for re-election thing coming up. He was my top pick for awhile.

True, it would be unusual (that's why he's a dark horse).  But really, why not?  He's going to lose that race anyway, so why not drop out and run for veep?  If being popular in your home state is a prerequisite for being a running mate, then why is Romney being considered?  He would surely lose any statewide election in MA.  (Heck, Romney went a step further by running for *president* while being unpopular in his home state.)

Oh sure but I think Sununu's committal to his senate race ultimately rules him out, even as a dark horse.

He should have declined to run for re-election and just hoped to be McCain's pick.

One can't really count on being picked as a VP candidate.  And, IMHO, almost any politician will take the chance at higher office if the right opportunity comes along.  So even though Sununu may now seem committed to his senate race, that doesn't mean he wouldn't accept the offer if McCain actually offered him the veep slot.  I think he would take it.  The only problem is that Sununu wouldn't want it to leak out that he's being considered until he actually had the offer in hand, because the rumors might complicate his reelection race, should McCain opt to give the nod to someone else.

Of course, this is probably a silly hypothetical, since Sununu is most likely not being considered anyway.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »

I say this with no malicious intent but what the hell does that mean?

If you go back to my initial comment, I picked him out since he was one of the few pro-labor republicans.  If McCain were to pick a pro-labor republican, would it shift a portion of the demographic that is currently on the fence to McCain's side?

There are several other "Pro Labor" members of Congress that are actually still serving. It just boggles my mind that the most random former member of Congress (from the old PA 13 Wink ) who wasn't in Congress since 1999 was mentioned.

He was the first one that came to mind.  Smiley
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »

And my darkest of dark horses for Obama?  Indiana Senator Richard Lugar.  Please don't flame me.  I know it's not going to happen.  But as a journalist and a history nut, I love big political earthquakes.  And it's been awhile since we've had one.  I guess this is just me WISHING this would happen. 

JS, I have thought of this too considering the Big O's love-fest with Lugar, and I wouldn't put it past him truly considering him........but his party leadership would have no parts of it.  So no flaming, my friend, you just said what more than 1 person has thought.

Yep -- that's the thing.  The partisans in my party would put their collective foot down.  My only hope is that they would be as spineless in dealing with Obama as they have been in dealing with the Republicans.  But reality is reality -- No matter how much conservatives respect Lieberman on the war, his liberal views disqualify him as VP for McCain.  And no matter how much liberals respect Lugar on foreign policy, his flat tax ideas and his his social conservatism make him an impossibility.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 01:29:30 PM »

And my darkest of dark horses for Obama?  Indiana Senator Richard Lugar.  Please don't flame me.  I know it's not going to happen.  But as a journalist and a history nut, I love big political earthquakes.  And it's been awhile since we've had one.  I guess this is just me WISHING this would happen. 

JS, I have thought of this too considering the Big O's love-fest with Lugar, and I wouldn't put it past him truly considering him........but his party leadership would have no parts of it.  So no flaming, my friend, you just said what more than 1 person has thought.

Yep -- that's the thing.  The partisans in my party would put their collective foot down.  My only hope is that they would be as spineless in dealing with Obama as they have been in dealing with the Republicans.  But reality is reality -- No matter how much conservatives respect Lieberman on the war, his liberal views disqualify him as VP for McCain.  And no matter how much liberals respect Lugar on foreign policy, his flat tax ideas and his his social conservatism make him an impossibility.

GM & JS in 2012......we'll kick so much ass........lol.  A Moderate/Maoist ticket can win, right?  Wink
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 01:34:03 PM »

What about Richard Holbrooke for Obama?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 01:35:42 PM »

GM & JS in 2012......we'll kick so much ass........lol.  A Moderate/Maoist ticket can win, right?  Wink

Exactly.  We will re-educate and collectivize everyone.  But only very moderately.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »

Fred Smith for McCain makes sense. Smith is an accomplishment businessman (he won't have to read Alan Greenspan's book to understand economics!), a Vietnam War vet (this would burnish McCain's already strong nat. sec. creds., a non-controversial figure (no votes on any issues!), and a good orator (his speechifying is decent).
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 02:44:03 PM »

Exactly.  We will re-educate and collectivize everyone.  But only very moderately.

OOH OOH . . . can I be Secretary of Defense/State?  *grins*
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »

No, MODU, Homeland Security Secretary.

PAPERS PLEASE!!!

Captain Mike will be Chairman of Joint Chiefs and putting down coups.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 03:34:52 PM »

OOH OOH . . . can I be Secretary of Defense/State?  *grins*

We'll have some new and different cabinet positions.  Like, who do you suppose would be "Secretary of Strip Clubs"?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2008, 09:04:51 PM »

If you go back to my initial comment, I picked him out since he was one of the few pro-labor republicans.  If McCain were to pick a pro-labor republican, would it shift a portion of the demographic that is currently on the fence to McCain's side?

Well, I guess my thought about a pro-Labor VP pick came about, though I didn't think it would be Palin (both she and her husband are/were union members). 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies