Old Testament? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:40:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Old Testament? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Old Testament?  (Read 6022 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« on: August 06, 2008, 12:04:58 PM »

That entails believing in explicitly contradictory things, BO. What, exactly, would God's purpose be in self-contradiction? I would imagine an omniscient being to be slightly better at proof reading..

The actual formation of the Bible is hardly a divine inspiration either. I am not trying to call the contents a work of absolute fiction. My point is that the Bible was clearly written by mankind, translated by mankind, and is not perfect. The Bible is not God, I would advise you to stop worshiping it.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:16:31 AM »

That entails believing in explicitly contradictory things, BO. What, exactly, would God's purpose be in self-contradiction? I would imagine an omniscient being to be slightly better at proof reading..

The actual formation of the Bible is hardly a divine inspiration either. I am not trying to call the contents a work of absolute fiction. My point is that the Bible was clearly written by mankind, translated by mankind, and is not perfect. The Bible is not God, I would advise you to stop worshiping it.

John 1:1 -- In the Beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The Bible is the inerrant and divinely inspired Word of God.  It was clearly written by 40 men, but authored by God Himself.

My Bible is the most important possession that I own, because it is literally, a "How-To" book on life.

I'd advise you to start holding the Bible in higher regard than treating it as just another good book.

I do have high regard for the Bible, and I know it fairly well, I'd wager. It helped me get through some very difficult times in life. It also gave me undue stress. I was, and still am to a certain degree, impressed with how the actual story flows, and resolves, and all of the parallels involved. It is indeed a good book. I just don't believe it's without flaws or that it was written by God. Your verse, by the way, is a parallel to Genesis, as I'm sure you know, and the Word is actually Jesus. Not that it matters, anyway, you should know that telling me the Bible is perfect/divine because the Bible itself says so isn't exactly anything besides circular.

I mean no personal offense, either, even though it's clear you hold the Bible up preciously. I just think it's dangerous, and, in a sense, breaking one of the commandments it contains - worshiping false idols/graven images. That's sort of a running theme, dare I say repeated for emphasis.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies