Issue '04: Gun Control
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:35:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Issue '04: Gun Control
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Issue '04: Gun Control  (Read 4917 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2004, 10:01:11 PM »

I would expect such behavior from a troll, but not you two.

that statement kind of contradicts itself...

I don't believe that CarlHayden and AuH20 are trolls. They both have good insights and contribute to the debate greatly. A troll is someone who contributes little to nothing to the intellectual quality of the debate, and serves only to aggravate and annoy other posters, often deliberately.

While I don't agree with the politics of either of them, they aren't trolls. They are smart people who have something to contribute to the debate.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2004, 11:24:38 PM »

All automatic guns should be outlawed.  In addition, all conversion kits to make semi's into full automatic should be outlawed.  All guns require a permit, and 2-week waiting periods will be manditory on all gun purchases, following a background check.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2004, 08:10:41 AM »

Why don't you try to get Kerry to take you stance?

It would increase Bush's victory margin.

Oh, and why the 2-week waiting period (is this just another case of harassment)?

And, as to the "permit," who decides and what criteria are involved?

And if a right is to be subjected to such conditions, what conditions do you attach to the right to freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of press (but to name a few)?

badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2004, 02:28:08 PM »

Badnarik: "Gun control means being able to hit your target"

One of many eye-opeining Badnarikisms.

"I believe the death penalty should be administered at the ATM when someone tries to steal my money"

"I'm a strong believer in the 2nd amendment. When someone goes into my house to take money from my wallet for someone else's healthcare, it's them that's going to need the coverage instead"

He's a great speaker.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2004, 12:29:42 AM »

"I believe the death penalty should be administered at the ATM when someone tries to steal my money"

"I'm a strong believer in the 2nd amendment. When someone goes into my house to take money from my wallet for someone else's healthcare, it's them that's going to need the coverage instead"

He's a great speaker.

As for the first quote, to actually make that possible would require a huge invasion into privacy, as well as subject citizens to potential death at the hands of a machine, decided by a machine, which might well make mistakes. That doesn't sound too libertarian to me. I realize it was probably a joke, but I don't see how a libertarian could possibly support criminals being instantly executed on the site of a crime by a machine.

Likewise, I realize the 2nd statement is probably tongue-in-cheek too, but I fail to see the logic in wanting to hurt someone for daring to try to get you to help others and make the world a better place. Oppose it if you wish, but I fail to see how it's productive to get violent about it.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2004, 11:09:48 AM »

He's a great speaker.

As for the first quote, to actually make that possible would require a huge invasion into privacy, as well as subject citizens to potential death at the hands of a machine, decided by a machine, which might well make mistakes. That doesn't sound too libertarian to me. I realize it was probably a joke, but I don't see how a libertarian could possibly support criminals being instantly executed on the site of a crime by a machine.

Likewise, I realize the 2nd statement is probably tongue-in-cheek too, but I fail to see the logic in wanting to hurt someone for daring to try to get you to help others and make the world a better place. Oppose it if you wish, but I fail to see how it's productive to get violent about it.

1. The first statement refers to the victim having a gun and shooting his/her attacker in self-defense, not the ATM itself administering the death penalty. Lol, what the heck were you thinking?

2. For the second part, you'd need to have listened to the debate where the quote was aired - context is key here. It was actually humor in the context of when it was spoken.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2004, 11:30:40 AM »

He's a great speaker.

1. The first statement refers to the victim having a gun and shooting his/her attacker in self-defense, not the ATM itself administering the death penalty. Lol, what the heck were you thinking?

2. For the second part, you'd need to have listened to the debate where the quote was aired - context is key here. It was actually humor in the context of when it was spoken.

Lol, my mistake. I envisioned that there would be some device within the ATM that would detect if someone was using a stolen ATM card to ransack someone's account, and a gun would pop out and kill them. Smiley It wasn't clear that someone was being robbed at an ATM, I thought you were referring to ATM fraud using a stolen card.
USERNAME

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2004, 01:39:53 PM »

SILVER SPRING, Md. (AP) - A 20-year-old man is expected to face murder charges in Montgomery County in the stabbing death of his former girlfriend.

Ruben Diaz allegedly attacked 21-year-old Sheila Menefee early yesterday morning at the woman's apartment in 1500 block of Heather Hollow Circle in Silver Spring

Montgomery County Police say Menefee was killed hours after she obtained a protective order against Diaz after he was charged with assaulting her on Sunday. Diaz had been released after posting a five-thousand dollar bond on a misdemeanor assault charge.

GLAD THE POLICE WERE ON HAND TO PROTECT HER.  All the police can be counted on for is cleaning up the mess and zipping the body bag.  Arm yourselves.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2004, 08:23:53 PM »

Unfortunately, this is NOT all that unusual.

In California, there is a fifteen day waiting period to purchase a firearm from a licensed dealer.

I remember when three women in Southern California were killed in a year while waiting for their firearms to defend themselves.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2004, 05:38:30 AM »

SILVER SPRING, Md. (AP) - A 20-year-old man is expected to face murder charges in Montgomery County in the stabbing death of his former girlfriend.

Ruben Diaz allegedly attacked 21-year-old Sheila Menefee early yesterday morning at the woman's apartment in 1500 block of Heather Hollow Circle in Silver Spring

Montgomery County Police say Menefee was killed hours after she obtained a protective order against Diaz after he was charged with assaulting her on Sunday. Diaz had been released after posting a five-thousand dollar bond on a misdemeanor assault charge.

GLAD THE POLICE WERE ON HAND TO PROTECT HER.  All the police can be counted on for is cleaning up the mess and zipping the body bag.  Arm yourselves.

Welcome.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies