If Obama was agnostic...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:21:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If Obama was agnostic...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: If Obama was agnostic...  (Read 4693 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 08:58:46 PM »

Probably only Vermont

He might come close in Washington, New York, Illinois and Hawaii
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2008, 07:54:07 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2008, 07:55:51 AM by Einzige »

I think we'll have an openly atheist President before sixty, but after our first female and Hispanic President(s). I think we've had closeted ones before, not counting the eighteenth century deists. I think we'll have an openly homosexual President not long after.

EDIT: For that matter, I don't think Obama is particularly religious, and is probably a closeted agnostic.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 12:02:44 PM »

He'd get crushed, which is stupid. He of course is an agnostic, which is fine.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 03:55:41 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2008, 09:08:44 AM by unempprof »

According to what he wrote in "The Audacity of Hope", he grew up in a non-religious household, neither his grandparents nor his mother were religious.  He only became a Christian when he was a community organizer and began to work with black churches.  He knew that in order to get involved in Chicago politics he had to pretend he was religious in order to be embraced by the (very religious) black community.

I don't think he's agnostic, I think he's one of those people who has benefited from the church and feels that it's an institution that is necessary in our society.  I don't think he cares too much about the issue (now that he's not a member of Wright's church, he and Michelle call themselves "Christians" whatever that means), but he wouldn't go as far as thinking whether god exists or not or question his beliefs.  In other words he's another politician who will say what the people want to hear, much like Bush did (when it comes to religion of course, because he's much better on other issues).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2008, 12:54:14 AM »

This scenario makes me wish it would be possible to run an actual matchup between me and someone like Fezzy or PiT. Would I win the Deep South?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008, 10:30:02 AM »

This scenario makes me wish it would be possible to run an actual matchup between me and someone like Fezzy or PiT. Would I win the Deep South?

Fezzy? Yes
PiT? No
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »

Are Southernors going to prefer some Christian guy from the heartland of North Dakota or a San Francisco atheist?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 04:01:10 PM »

I would lose the Deep South horribly. The best thing for me to do to win it would be to attack BRTD for being a libertine. Tongue

That however would ultimately be counterproductive to any serious attempt to win since I would probably have a better chance of winning NH & WA than MS & NC given my religious views.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 02:26:45 AM »

I've changed my mind about Obama.  After watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0zDAJB-xqs I think I agree with those who say he's not really religious (which is a good thing IMO).  He says that he was introduced to christianity late in his life but his nonreligious mother and grandparents had the same strong values that people in his black church have.  He also says that religious people don't have the monopoly on morality.  It's a really interesting interview and I would recommend watching it.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »

According to what he wrote in "The Audacity of Hope", he grew up in a non-religious household, neither his grandparents nor his mother were religious.  He only became a Christian when he was a community organizer and began to work with black churches.  He knew that in order to get involved in Chicago politics he had to pretend he was religious in order to be embraced by the (very religious) black community.

I don't think he's agnostic, I think he's one of those people who has benefited from the church and feels that it's an institution that is necessary in our society.  I don't think he cares too much about the issue (now that he's not a member of Wright's church, he and Michelle call themselves "Christians" whatever that means), but he wouldn't go as far as thinking whether god exists or not or question his beliefs.  In other words he's another politician who will say what the people want to hear, much like Bush did (when it comes to religion of course, because he's much better on other issues).

He may not be an agnostic, but I'm pretty sure he isn't a Christian in that he doesn't believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ. I could be wrong though.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies