Is this guy a good guy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:00:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is this guy a good guy?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Is this guy a good guy?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Is this guy a good guy?  (Read 9590 times)
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 08:42:23 PM »

No, but if it was an ANC Cop maybe.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »

OK, I'll try and explain it to you.

You're taking a large group of people, lumped together by profession. You are unable to say anything about their actions in a collective sense (there is likely no single action that all of them has performed). You've never met any of them. You haven't even been on the same continent as them. And yet you think YOU have the right to casually say that none of them have a right to life, but should be killed on sight.

It is a brutal, arrogant and despicable attitude to other human beings.

The scenario though DOES involve a specific action (abuse of blacks). As stated above too, you could use the same style of argument to the SS.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2008, 02:16:15 AM »

If you were a cop in South Africa during apartheid, you were a disgusting excuse for a human being. Period, no exceptions;.

I wish I could have your simplistic mind for just a day, BRTD! Really!

OK were all SS officers evil people? How about Saddam's police?

No, they weren't, which is why the guy is not a good guy.

Wow, someone willing to do the stuff the SS and Saddam's police did was not evil? There were good-hearted people who were government torturers or even had a job to rape women? LOL, beyond ridiculous.

You're telling me that everyone was evil just by the group they were in.  Oskar Schindler was friends of dozens of SS and went to SS parties, yet I think most people would say he's a "good guy."

No, 99.99% of the SS and Saddam's police were evil, but that doesn't mean that there weren't a handful of good ones.

BRTD?  Do you have a response, or will you concede the point?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2008, 10:05:33 AM »

OK, I'll try and explain it to you.

You're taking a large group of people, lumped together by profession. You are unable to say anything about their actions in a collective sense (there is likely no single action that all of them has performed). You've never met any of them. You haven't even been on the same continent as them. And yet you think YOU have the right to casually say that none of them have a right to life, but should be killed on sight.

It is a brutal, arrogant and despicable attitude to other human beings.

The scenario though DOES involve a specific action (abuse of blacks). As stated above too, you could use the same style of argument to the SS.

The scenario, yes. However, in your initial post you move from the specific scenario to the general statement that police men in RSA could be shot for no specific reason because all of them were scumbags without exceptions, period.

And I don't buy the SS analogy. Their range of activities was, I think, narrower than being a police officer. But, no, I don't think that if someone came across a former member of the SS that mere fact wouldn't be a valid reason for gunning the guy down on sight. I believe people hold responsibilities for specific actions, but not for membership in a group.

And above all, punishements aside, the judging of people who existed in different circumstances in such a sweeping way is something I cannot agree with. You seem to think those people don't deserve to live because they were a part of an evil system. But in a country like Nazi-Germany lots of people were part of an evil system. I don't think all of those people were necessarily inherently evil. I'm not saying that all sorts of despicable actions can be excused. If you were a concentration camp guard you cannot escape that responsibility. But merely being a non-revolter does not merit death, imo. Do you think every white person in the South who lived before 1964 should die too?
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »

Obviously not a good guy.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2008, 02:07:02 PM »

I voted no on it. But I'm not for killing him...

Isn't there an expression that relates a bit to it? "The ends don't justify the means" or something..?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2008, 12:52:17 AM »

This thread is proof that BRTD refuses to see things from others' point of view.  He still hasn't responded to my point.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »

Apartheid was LEGAL racial segregation, which is actually good for some societies. No, the man is a scumbag and should be shot himself. You're acting as if segregation is ethnic-cleansing.

Oh wow. Change avatar immediately.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2008, 11:36:44 AM »

Sorry, I don't have any 'white liberal guilt'

For example, there wouldn't have been any violence in the south had it been given time to modernize. No one was keeping the blacks there.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2008, 11:42:15 AM »

Apartheid was LEGAL racial segregation, which is actually good for some societies. No, the man is a scumbag and should be shot himself. You're acting as if segregation is ethnic-cleansing.

How about you change your avatar? You'd better fit in the GOP given your misogyny, religiosity, anti-catholicism, etc.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2008, 06:04:08 PM »

How about you change your avatar? You'd better fit in the GOP given your misogyny, religiosity, anti-catholicism, etc.
BRTD is going to be a bitter suburban conservative in 10-15 years anyway, he might as well just get it over with.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2008, 06:28:15 PM »

BRTD is going to be a bitter suburban conservative in 10-15 years anyway, he might as well just get it over with.

Indeed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2008, 11:19:54 AM »

They haven't gotten around to making the Fascist Party avatars yet.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2008, 06:09:54 PM »

no. while his cause may be noble, that cop is probably innocent.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2008, 07:02:14 PM »

There were good-hearted people who were government torturers? LOL, beyond ridiculous.

Ever heard of Stanley Milgram? They repeated his experiments not that long ago. Here is what they found out.
Rild
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2008, 01:12:14 AM »

A guy is driving in South Africa during apartheid and speeding. He gets pulled over. He then notices that the cop in question was actually earlier enforcing apartheid on blacks. So he pulls out a gun and blows the cop away.

I vote yes. In fact I'd say that simply killing police for no reason at all in South Africa during apartheid was 100% morally justifiable. If you were a cop in South Africa during apartheid, you were a disgusting excuse for a human being. Period, no exceptions;.

its pretty easy for you to sit there and condemn them but you're a complete idiot.

hey, guess what, you're a fat american whose lifestyle rapes and pillages the earth and other people in less affluent societies. you are a disgusting excuse for a human being. Period, no exceptions. 100% morally justifiable to kill you.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2008, 01:43:23 AM »

Indeed.

Yup.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies