Is this guy a good guy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:58:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is this guy a good guy?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Is this guy a good guy?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Is this guy a good guy?  (Read 9563 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »

I don't see what's wrong with the logic that only a completely morally bankrupt person could be a cop in a place as reprehensible as South Africa under apartheid.
Your logic is probably correct, but that doesn't make it ok to shoot him!
Are you pro-death penalty BRTD?

No, but in this case it's an act of justified resistance.

I don't see what's wrong with the logic that only a completely morally bankrupt person could be a cop in a place as reprehensible as South Africa under apartheid.
Yeah, because God forbid a "good" person would want to join the local policing agency to try and make things better.  Or was (is?) every white person on the dark continent a horrible person in your eyes?  As I'm sure you've read here a thousand times, the world isn't as black and white as it appears through your young eyes.

You're making quite a leap of logic from "people enforcing apartheid" to "every single white person in Africa"

And a person on the police force abusing blacks is NOT making things better.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 12:34:48 PM »

It depends. Did this man go out of his way to abuse blacks or did he just do his job. As has been said before, good people do get caught up in these situations where they have to do bad things. A guy joining the force to protect his community might be forced to abuse blacks.  I am not saying the cop is totally innocent but to kill him?Huh? Wow man.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 03:10:57 PM »

You're making quite a leap of logic from "people enforcing apartheid" to "every single white person in Africa"

Well you did say....
You're saying all cops in South Africa during apartheid were morally bankrupt and I'm saying that's much too simple and incorrect.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 11:25:02 PM »

Well you did say....
You're saying all cops in South Africa during apartheid were morally bankrupt and I'm saying that's much too simple and incorrect.

I don't see what's wrong with that, since the primary purpose of the police in South Africa was to oppress the black population. It's not much different than saying only a morally bankrupt person could join the SS.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 12:01:51 AM »

Well you did say....

I don't see what's wrong with that, since the primary purpose of the police in South Africa was to oppress the black population. It's not much different than saying only a morally bankrupt person could join the SS.

Reminds me that I know a guy who was a member of the SS. After the war, he moved to Chicago & sent his daughter to a Jewish school. The kids there called her a Nazi. Nice guy, you would never believe that he was in the SS.

With that in mind, as sbane pointed out, not everyone becomes a cop to beat up folks. Though if this happened in South Central L.A., would you think that the shooter was just as justified?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 12:32:01 AM »

With that in mind, as sbane pointed out, not everyone becomes a cop to beat up folks. Though if this happened in South Central L.A., would you think that the shooter was just as justified?

No. Though this quote does sum up most cops:

"You don't become a cop because you want to serve and protect. You join the force because they let you carry a gun and a badge. You do it because you get respect. Most people respect the badge. Everyone respects the gun."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 03:09:20 AM »

"You don't become a cop because you want to serve and protect. You join the force because they let you carry a gun and a badge. You do it because you get respect. Most people respect the badge. Everyone respects the gun."
No doubt some cops join for that reason, nobody will argue against that.  But your ignorant if you think every single cop during aparthied was a racist bastards itching for a reason to beat on some "darkies".
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 03:14:06 AM »

No doubt some cops join for that reason, nobody will argue against that.  But your ignorant if you think every single cop during aparthied was a racist bastards itching for a reason to beat on some "darkies".

I have a tough time believing it did not apply to at least the vast majority, I after all could never take a job requiring that I would engage in such repression. Anyone taking it clearly has no moral qualms with doing so anyway.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2008, 04:07:19 AM »

"Vast majority" is a LOT different than all.  Especially when we're talking about killing people on the side of the road.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »

You're one to talk, when you believe that it is America's duty to police the world and overthrow legitimate governments.

That's not "ignorance." I think you were looking for "arrogance."

It's both.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 04:48:07 PM »

A guy is driving in South Africa during apartheid and speeding. He gets pulled over. He then notices that the cop in question was actually earlier enforcing apartheid on blacks. So he pulls out a gun and blows the cop away.

I vote yes. In fact I'd say that simply killing police for no reason at all in South Africa during apartheid was 100% morally justifiable. If you were a cop in South Africa during apartheid, you were a disgusting excuse for a human being. Period, no exceptions;.

That is so stupid I'm lost for words. You're a stupid teen-ager who exploits strippers and you think you can sit around and judge thousands of people you don't know anything about? The cold-hearted, inhuman arrogance of that is nothing but disgusting. You don't know anything about apartheid South Africa or any situation which requires more than drinking beer or buying a Che Guevara t-shirt.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »

A guy is driving in South Africa during apartheid and speeding. He gets pulled over. He then notices that the cop in question was actually earlier enforcing apartheid on blacks. So he pulls out a gun and blows the cop away.

I vote yes. In fact I'd say that simply killing police for no reason at all in South Africa during apartheid was 100% morally justifiable. If you were a cop in South Africa during apartheid, you were a disgusting excuse for a human being. Period, no exceptions;.

That is so stupid I'm lost for words. You're a stupid teen-ager

24 is not teenage.

LOL. If anything the strippers are exploiting me. When I leave a strip club who is richer and who is poorer?

and you think you can sit around and judge thousands of people you don't know anything about?

Is that uncommon on this forum (or any remotely politically related forum for that matter)? See comments about Palestineans for starters...

The cold-hearted, inhuman arrogance of that is nothing but disgusting.

That sounds kind of like apartheid to me.

You don't know anything about apartheid South Africa

Roll Eyes

I know it was a brutal racist state. What more needs to be said?

or any situation which requires more than drinking beer or buying a Che Guevara t-shirt.

Roll Eyes again.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2008, 01:36:03 PM »

I wonder why there was no real depth to the attacks on me here...

Question though: How many innocent blacks were murdered by the police there? Are the police in a criminal regime any better than criminals themselves? Hell, many WERE literally found to be criminals, see all the former members of Saddam's police tried and executed in the past couple years. The leaders of the East German Stasi didn't really get off scot-free either.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2008, 05:10:19 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2008, 06:12:06 PM by Earth »

I wonder why there was no real depth to the attacks on me here...

Question though: How many innocent blacks were murdered by the police there? Are the police in a criminal regime any better than criminals themselves? Hell, many WERE literally found to be criminals, see all the former members of Saddam's police tried and executed in the past couple years. The leaders of the East German Stasi didn't really get off scot-free either.

Except for the fact that these corrupt cops don't represent police as a whole. It's overly simplistic, ignorant, and downright silly to say that being a cop during South Africa's apartheid automatically makes one worthy of death, or even a 'bad person'. It's a shallow view of life, which makes you overlook the complexity of the situation. It's easier to condemn than to realistically see that not all people that become police do it to enforce and dominate.

As for your example, the guy is not doing anything positive by killing the cop. It's not about "resistance", it's vengeance. He has no more a legitimate reason to kill than the cop does unprovoked.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 06:40:19 PM »

Do you support the death penalty?
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

Just curious, did you get that from a movie?  I think I heard it somewhere, but not sure where.

And, I voted yes.  I don't see any need for an excuse to kill any cop, anywhere.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »

Just curious, did you get that from a movie?  I think I heard it somewhere, but not sure where.

Yes, Righteous Kill. Though the movie is undoubtedly horrible, no question about that.
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 06:28:02 PM »

Really?  I haven't actually seen that.  Maybe there was something similar in another flick.  Happens all the time.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »

Calm down. ..I would give him a hard time about it, though. ...and if he did get violent, I would kill him in defense of myself.
Matt Damon™
donut4mccain
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 10:02:19 AM »

depends on who it's applied to
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 07:26:36 PM »

In other words, yes.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2008, 04:32:01 AM »

If you were a cop in South Africa during apartheid, you were a disgusting excuse for a human being. Period, no exceptions;.

I wish I could have your simplistic mind for just a day, BRTD! Really!

OK were all SS officers evil people? How about Saddam's police?

No, they weren't, which is why the guy is not a good guy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »

If you were a cop in South Africa during apartheid, you were a disgusting excuse for a human being. Period, no exceptions;.

Wow, someone willing to do the stuff the SS and Saddam's police did was not evil? There were good-hearted people who were government torturers or even had a job to rape women? LOL, beyond ridiculous.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2008, 11:35:15 AM »

Wow, someone willing to do the stuff the SS and Saddam's police did was not evil? There were good-hearted people who were government torturers or even had a job to rape women? LOL, beyond ridiculous.

You're telling me that everyone was evil just by the group they were in.  Oskar Schindler was friends of dozens of SS and went to SS parties, yet I think most people would say he's a "good guy."

No, 99.99% of the SS and Saddam's police were evil, but that doesn't mean that there weren't a handful of good ones.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 03:04:15 PM »

OK, I'll try and explain it to you.

You're taking a large group of people, lumped together by profession. You are unable to say anything about their actions in a collective sense (there is likely no single action that all of them has performed). You've never met any of them. You haven't even been on the same continent as them. And yet you think YOU have the right to casually say that none of them have a right to life, but should be killed on sight.

It is a brutal, arrogant and despicable attitude to other human beings.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies