Is this guy a good guy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:21:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is this guy a good guy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this guy a good guy?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Is this guy a good guy?  (Read 9582 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 07, 2008, 03:15:32 AM »

If you were a cop in South Africa during apartheid, you were a disgusting excuse for a human being. Period, no exceptions;.

Doesn't make him a good guy for shooting the officer. He's what we call a vigilante, which is illegal in pretty much every modern society. Nevermind that his is the train of thought that drives a lot of revenge killings.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:26:29 AM »

If you were a cop in South Africa during apartheid, you were a disgusting excuse for a human being. Period, no exceptions;.

He's what we call a vigilante, which is illegal in pretty much every modern society.

So what? We're talking about the law in South Africa under apartheid here. Is there any moral legitimacy to that law whatsoever?

In the context of itself, it does. I suppose that I made too much of a generalization, though. It's clear to me that you were asking if he's a good guy in the context of this society's morality, not in that one's morality.

Nevertheless, I would venture to say that he is still not a "good guy" because in the context of our society's morality, unprovoked acts of violence are never justified, regardless of who the other person is. The nice thing about the United States is that every person, no matter how demented or sociopathic, is entitled to due process of law.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 12:01:51 AM »

You're making quite a leap of logic from "people enforcing apartheid" to "every single white person in Africa"

And a person on the police force abusing blacks is NOT making things better.
Well you did say....
I don't see what's wrong with the logic that only a completely morally bankrupt person could be a cop in a place as reprehensible as South Africa under apartheid.
You're saying all cops in South Africa during apartheid were morally bankrupt and I'm saying that's much too simple and incorrect.

I don't see what's wrong with that, since the primary purpose of the police in South Africa was to oppress the black population. It's not much different than saying only a morally bankrupt person could join the SS.

Reminds me that I know a guy who was a member of the SS. After the war, he moved to Chicago & sent his daughter to a Jewish school. The kids there called her a Nazi. Nice guy, you would never believe that he was in the SS.

With that in mind, as sbane pointed out, not everyone becomes a cop to beat up folks. Though if this happened in South Central L.A., would you think that the shooter was just as justified?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:19:54 AM »

Apartheid was LEGAL racial segregation, which is actually good for some societies. No, the man is a scumbag and should be shot himself. You're acting as if segregation is ethnic-cleansing.

Oh wow. Change avatar immediately.

They haven't gotten around to making the Fascist Party avatars yet.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies