Where your ancestors were from?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:07:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where your ancestors were from?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Where your ancestors were from?  (Read 43171 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2014, 09:43:46 AM »

My maternal Grandmother's mother came from an English family descended from the Earls of Northampton, while her father's family came from Scotland and Ireland. My maternal grandfather's family is of Cherokee, Irish and German background. Somewhere way, way back up the line we might have a black ancestor as well, according to my great-Aunt.

My paternal Grandfather's father was an immigrant from Sicily, while my late paternal grandmother's mother was of German (mostly Bavarian) descent, though her birth father (who ran off when she was three) may have been Jewish, which would add a bit more diversity to my largely Anglo-Scots-Irish-German background.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2014, 10:34:12 AM »

Italy
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »

All Scottish. Small Irish contingent.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »

My father's father's family is from Karimganj and my mother's mother's family is from Feni. I don't know the others but obviously everyone was from eastern Bengal.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »

I only know half my ancestry, but that's what I generally go by.  My great-great grandfather's family were mostly Irish immigrants who settled in Canada to escape the potato famine.  He came to America (from Canada) alone with his brother when he was seven years old.  My great-great grandmother's family was Scottish; they came to America from Orkney, where her father had been a sea captain.  My great grandfather was one of their sons.

My great grandmother's family also came from a mostly Scottish and Irish background (as I understand), but they also had some Pennsylvania Dutch in them as well.  I understand that one of her ancestors was a Mennonite deacon (I don't know if any of them were Amish specifically, but I know there were some Mennonites among them.)  She also claimed to have some Native American ancestry somewhere, but if she did, it was probably only as much as Elizabeth Warren's. Smiley  They mostly settled in western Ohio (around Lima), and many of them still live there.  I'm actually distantly related to Neil Armstrong through them. 

My grandpa (whom I never knew) was also originally Canadian; his mother was of Irish ancestry and his father of Scottish descent (that seems to be a pattern in my family.)  He worked as a boxing promoter in Detroit for many years and trained the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2014, 08:20:29 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2014, 08:22:29 PM by Emperor Scott »

To be more precise: I'm half-Polack on my mother's side.  On my dad's side I'm primarily Norwegian, with some mix of Scottish, Dutch, and other European nationalities I don't remember.  My dad's family has been in this country for a very long time and my ancestry can be traced back to the first Christian European woman born in what would later become New York and one of the earliest settlers of New Amsterdam.  As a side, I believe I might be related to some Revolutionary War veterans, but I'm not sure which ones.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2014, 08:40:12 PM »

To be more precise: I'm half-Polack on my mother's side.  On my dad's side I'm primarily Norwegian, with some mix of Scottish, Dutch, and other European nationalities I don't remember.  My dad's family has been in this country for a very long time and my ancestry can be traced back to the first Christian European woman born in what would later become New York and one of the earliest settlers of New Amsterdam.  As a side, I believe I might be related to some Revolutionary War veterans, but I'm not sure which ones.
My ancestors from the Compton family actually arrived here via New Amsterdam following the English Civil War, in which my ancestors were Royalists. Who knows, maybe if your relatives were still in New Amsterdam at the time, they might have encountered one another. It's not like it was the huge metropolis then that it is today.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2014, 11:54:53 PM »

I can go pretty damn far back, but in the gist of keeping it short, my ancestors within the past 200 years yielded from West Country England, specifically Veryan/Truro in Cornwall and Plymouth as well as in around Hampshire.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2014, 12:53:48 AM »

Father's father's side is German.  Father's mother's side is Norwegian/Swedish.

My mother's side is a mix of everything from the British Isles: English/Scottish/Irish/Welsh, but pretty sure English is the largest component of that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2014, 05:41:33 AM »

I thought we had a standing policy against thread necromancy? Particularly when it is a generic topic of discussion?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #160 on: July 11, 2014, 12:53:08 PM »

Mother's Side: India. Specifically from Calcutta (New Alipur suburb) in West Bengal. However, go back a bit over 100 years, and they were actually affluent farmers from Chittagong, now part of Bangladesh. They left because of economic opportunity for colonial administrative jobs in Calcutta, and the fact that they were Brahims (Brahmos?) in a very Muslim city.

Brahmins and adherents of the Brahmo Samaj are different things, although obviously many of the latter were also the former.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »

Mother's Side: India. Specifically from Calcutta (New Alipur suburb) in West Bengal. However, go back a bit over 100 years, and they were actually affluent farmers from Chittagong, now part of Bangladesh. They left because of economic opportunity for colonial administrative jobs in Calcutta, and the fact that they were Brahims (Brahmos?) in a very Muslim city.

Brahmins and adherents of the Brahmo Samaj are different things, although obviously many of the latter were also the former.

Asked her, the answer is Brahmo Samaj.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #162 on: July 12, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »

Sicilian on mom's side, Irish on dad's side. There's some English and Cherokee mixed in on my dad's side, but I identify as Sicilian/Irish overall.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #163 on: July 12, 2014, 01:00:15 AM »

Dad's side is all German.  Mom's side is English/mutt.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2014, 01:15:29 AM »

Maternal Grandfather - Romanian Jewish
Maternal Grandmother - Hungarian Jewish
Paternal Grandfather - German, English, Lebanese
Paternal Grandmother - English, Scottish, French
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2014, 12:54:26 AM »

This is just a tad bit irrelevant to the thread, but my mom and I did some research on my ancestors on my father's side, and we came across this little factoid...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I didn't even know we had family members that fought in the Civil War!
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2014, 12:55:22 AM »

Korean 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to: