Emo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:47:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Emo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Emo  (Read 2526 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:08:53 AM »

Considering I am sick of the retarded BRTD emo drama happening here, I have decided to post this definition of what emo is by people who are pretty unbiased from a music website:

"Emo" (or emocore) is short for "emotional hardcore." It is essentially a subgenre of hardcore punk music, tagged sometime in the mid-80's to describe a particular style of DIY bands wanting to escape the traditional standard of hardcore (Minor Threat era) and the violent scene at the time, giving way to a new wave of experimentation that would influence many bands to come. The term emo was derived from the fact that, on occasion, members of a band would become spontaneously and strongly emotional during performances. This term wasn't taken too lightly by some bands at the time, however.

Rites of Spring are thought to be the first band labelled with this term, although Hüsker Dü's 1984 album Zen Arcade is often cited as a major influence for the new sound. While many bands of this genre came to play seemingly different music altogether, their influences are always rooted to original emo - the Washington, DC style, and regional scenes that spawned from it. Though describing the sound can't replace listening to the bands yourself, notable characteristics of emo music today are: "loud-to-soft" (sometimes chaotic) dynamics, twinkly melodic breaks, frantic/abrasive shouting or screaming, angry/abstract/introspective lyrics, low-end production, and exceptionally energetic live shows.

The "DIY" punk ethic refers to the idea of 'doing it yourself.' Essentially, making and promoting music without major record label backing, and without any great level of "selling out". This means that you're not going to hear emo on the tv or radio, kids (ok, i found one exception). You'll find most of these releases on vinyl, and sold in independant record stories.

"Screamo" was a term coined later to describe the transistion of hardcore emo bands in the 1990's who started playing a louder, faster, more chaotic style, including constant screaming with fast, harmonized guitars. "Emo" and "screamo" are essentially meant to describe the same style of music. While screamo is more reserved for modern bands, emo is often used in reference to original emo, or the entire genre at a whole. "Emo Violence," sometimes misinterpreted as synonymous with "screamo," was a joke term created by In/Humanity in an attempt to describe themselves and a sound formed during the emo-screamo transition (a play on the words emo & powerviolence). While similar to both chaotic emo and grindcore, emo violence is known to sound lo-fi, with vocals pushed past the point of normal sound, with occasional spoken words or singing.

After the first wave of original emo bands had nearly dissapeared, emo's influence could be found amongst a slew of new indie bands (Sub Pop Records, for example), who were known to mix Fugazi (a highly influential band who'd come to feature Minor Threat/Embrace member Ian MacKaye and Rites of Spring member Guy Picciotto) along with post-punk elements. This is sometimes referred to as a "second wave" or "post-emo indie rock."

Examples of these post-hardcore/indie bands include:

Sunny Day Real Estate, Christie Front Drive, the Promise Ring, Mineral, Boys Life, Sideshow, the Get-Up Kids, Braid, Cap'n Jazz, Joan of Arc, Jets To Brazil, Texas Is the Reason, Death Cab For Cutie, Jimmy Eat World, At The Drive-In, Saves The Day, and Weezer.

Around and after 2000, a bastardisation* of emo terminology in turn created a fad in which had no relation with actual emo music. Showcased was a new scene of goth-like "emo fashion," stereotypes of crying and self-mutilation, and the words "emo" and "screamo" carelessly attibuted to pop-punk, post-hardcore, and dubbed-down metalcore bands alike. This is due pimarily to mainstream media, record companys, and the internet. Sometimes referred to as "popcore," "emobop," "mall emo," and "fake screamo" by those "in-the-know," none of these new bands beared resemblance to emo/screamo bands, and have hardly anything in common with them.

That being said, emo/screamo does not include the following bands:

AFI, Alexisonfire, A Static Lullaby, Alkaline Trio, All-American Rejects, The Ataris, Brand New, Bright Eyes, Coheed and Cambria, The Early November, Emery, Fall Out Boy, Finch, From Autumn to Ashes, From First to Last, Funeral for a Friend, Hawthorne Heights, Matchbook Romance, My Chemical Romance, Panic! At the Disco, Saosin, Senses Fail, Silverstein, Something Corporate, The Starting Line, Story of the Year, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Thrice, Thursday, or Yellowcard.

Yeah pretty long definition but I hope this clears this up.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:15:03 AM »

And before somebody posts"Nobody gives a sh!t", I posted this so if anyone was interested they could learn something new about music.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 12:23:59 AM »

Don't feed the trolls. The bloodshed that will occur is all on your hands now.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:25:39 AM »

Translation:

Oh my god if a band becomes popular it is instantly not emo and loses all credibility with a bunch of sweaty dickheads who live to be misunderstood and you really don't understand the REAL history of this genre which totally has like so much credibility as an individual movement and blah blah blah lets make a song about being misunderstood all the time
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 12:46:44 AM »

Oh my god if a band becomes popular it is instantly not emo

No, more like any actual emo band has never become popular in the first place.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:50:39 AM »

yeah because REAL emo is way over the heads of any mainstream audience am I right
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:54:15 AM »

yeah because REAL emo is way over the heads of any mainstream audience am I right

Largely yes. It's not like this is going to be on the radio top 40 for obvious reasons.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 08:19:41 AM »

ahhh so it's like when punks get pissed off when regular people call bands like Blink 182 "punk"?  Only more whiney?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 08:22:47 AM »

So TOTALLY emo.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:24:02 AM »

Dude, the fur on that collar, IT SPEAKS TO ME!!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 08:27:13 AM »

The girl with the red hair is HOT!

(I know)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 08:28:08 AM »

I know, it just makes me feel so... misunderstood. I think I'll go cut myself, then maybe I'll feel something again.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 08:33:51 AM »

I know, it just makes me feel so... misunderstood. I think I'll go cut myself, then maybe I'll feel something again.

Same...eighth grade was a killer, NOBODY got us...
I know man, that's why their incapable of smiling
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 10:08:39 AM »

Largely yes. It's not like this is going to be on the radio top 40 for obvious reasons.

Right...because it sucks.  That's what we've been saying the whole time.

That's some great logic there. I suppose Hannah Montana is one of the best "musicians" currently around then, right?

Even if you want to use that stupid term, it implies that it's related to emo in some way, and how is this remotely related to the crap listened to that by those retards with the dumb haircuts who all deserve to have their heads cracked?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »

I don't know about you guys but I consider classifying music to be the worst. I hate all the terms so I don't even bother.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 11:30:16 AM »

I don't know about you guys but I consider classifying music to be the worst. I hate all the terms so I don't even bother.
Well, for me it usually comes down to clasifying as "good" "tolerable" and "awful", and all emo music so far that I have heard fits in "awful"
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 11:33:35 AM »

Well, for me it usually comes down to clasifying as "good" "tolerable" and "awful", and all emo music so far that I have heard fits in "awful"

You just classified it as "emo."
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 11:45:58 AM »

ahhh so it's like when punks get pissed off when regular people call bands like Blink 182 "punk"?  Only more whiney?

Yes. These types of people can't deal with a band in their favourite genre becoming popular, it undermines their credibility. Band X may have been revolutionary in their genre until they became popular, then they've sold out.

I agree, but when you're trying to describe something to someone else the terms do come in handy to help give them an idea of what something sounds like without actually having them hear it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 11:52:29 AM »

early blink and even some later blink was unarguably punk.  the last album really wasn't. 
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 02:45:52 PM »

early blink and even some later blink was unarguably punk.  the last album really wasn't. 
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »

Translation:

Oh my god if a band becomes popular it is instantly not emo and loses all credibility with a bunch of sweaty dickheads who live to be misunderstood and you really don't understand the REAL history of this genre which totally has like so much credibility as an individual movement and blah blah blah lets make a song about being misunderstood all the time
No did you read the part of how lots of post-hardcore and indie bands were heavily influenced by emo bands and became really big?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 10:23:32 PM »

If emos are non-conformist, why do they all dress the same?

Anyway, here's the emo washing powder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UgJWp2bRSM

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 10:38:46 PM »

All that song sounded like to me was a bunch of immature people trying to express their irrational and unjustified anger/sadness by screaming... not unlike my 2 year old nephew.  Except my nephew is 2.

It's the equivalent of banging on the piano keys after you f**k up the Moonlight Sonata.  But I guess therein lies a bit difference... we can all probably relate better to banging on the piano keys.. which is exactly why people like Mozart DIDN'T compose such things.

But I never really did like abstract art either.  I chuckle at the people who stare at it for a long time trying to figure out what it could actually mean.. then just assuming it must be too deep for them.  Trust me, it's not.  There's a lot more depth in a political cartoon from the 1890s than there is in a poop streak smeared across a whitewashed wall... the former uses the front temporal lobes of the brain.. our unique gifts as humans, while the latter is simply a spur of the moment lashing out of a likely deeply disturbed individual seeking an outlet.

But I guess I am being really unfair.. Im' sure some people hold my tastes in music and art in exactly the same light.

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 11:13:43 PM »

All that song sounded like to me was a bunch of immature people trying to express their irrational and unjustified anger/sadness by screaming... not unlike my 2 year old nephew.  Except my nephew is 2.

It's the equivalent of banging on the piano keys after you f**k up the Moonlight Sonata.  But I guess therein lies a bit difference... we can all probably relate better to banging on the piano keys.. which is exactly why people like Mozart DIDN'T compose such things.

But I never really did like abstract art either.  I chuckle at the people who stare at it for a long time trying to figure out what it could actually mean.. then just assuming it must be too deep for them.  Trust me, it's not.  There's a lot more depth in a political cartoon from the 1890s than there is in a poop streak smeared across a whitewashed wall... the former uses the front temporal lobes of the brain.. our unique gifts as humans, while the latter is simply a spur of the moment lashing out of a likely deeply disturbed individual seeking an outlet.

But I guess I am being really unfair.. Im' sure some people hold my tastes in music and art in exactly the same light.

It's a matter of taste, really, something unquantifiable and relatively meaningless. I try not to bash specific genres of music or art in general simply because there are differing points of view involved. What I do enjoy bashing are scenes, their followers, and snooty assholes. A snooty classical music snob is no better or worse than a self-absorbed indie rock fan, just two different flavours of the same obnoxious thing.

Of course, I break that rule for certain things. For instance, anyone who thinks the lyrics of any Linkin Park song are "deep" is asking for a verbal assault.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 11:21:19 PM »

It's a matter of taste, really, something unquantifiable and relatively meaningless. I try not to bash specific genres of music or art in general simply because there are differing points of view involved. What I do enjoy bashing are scenes, their followers, and snooty assholes. A snooty classical music snob is no better or worse than a self-absorbed indie rock fan, just two different flavours of the same obnoxious thing.

Of course, I break that rule for certain things. For instance, anyone who thinks the lyrics of any Linkin Park song are "deep" is asking for a verbal assault.
I totally agree.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies