What is your opinion of the potential first ladies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:20:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What is your opinion of the potential first ladies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Michelle/Cindy
Positive/Positive

Positive/Negative

Positive/Neutral

Negative/Positive

Negative/Negative

Negative/Neutral

Neutral/Positive

Neutral/Negative

Neutral/Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: What is your opinion of the potential first ladies?  (Read 2856 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:11:23 PM »

I'm asking this because I heard that Michelle Obama has racist views?  I'm not sure whether to believe that or not, so I'm coming to you to ask your opinion of her overall, not just racial lines.

To be fair, I'm putting both spouses under scrutiny.

I'm on the fence between Barack and John.  Its the first ladies and the Veep selections that I will use to help me judge between the two.  As of right now, and based on my views (neither one of them) my girlfriend's lean (McCain), and to keep peace within the relationship, I may have to vote for McCain myself, but I'm still not sure.

So, as of now, suffice it to say that I'm leaning toward McCain right now, but I'm still not sure at all.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 06:12:23 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2008, 08:03:23 PM by Aizen »

I prefer the one that didn't sleep with a man who was already married
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:14:16 PM »

Judging president's by first lady is a bad, bad choice.  I mean it kind of makes me glad because you'll obviously support McCain, but its still not smart.  Come to think of it, I can't think of a time in recent elections where the Republican first lady would have lost to the Democratic first lady (except when those two power hungry creeps faced off in 1996)

As for these two, Cindy McCain seems like a respectable person and a proper lady.  Michelle Obama seems like Cynthia McKinney on steroids, she seems like someone you'd find on a street corner in the ghetto.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »

As for these two, Cindy McCain seems like a respectable person and a proper lady.

She "knows her place".

In other words, she's a stepford wife.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A woman who thinks for herself? God forbid!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 06:33:40 PM »

I'm asking this because I heard that Michelle Obama has racist views?  I'm not sure whether to believe that or not, so I'm coming to you to ask your opinion of her overall, not just racial lines.
Jeez, have you been living under a rock?  There were the rumors of a racist rant tape a few months ago and it was all over the news, and then it was all over the news that it was not real.  Also there were some passages from a paper she wrote at Princeton that were taken wildly out of context.
And no, she does not have racist views at all.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 07:49:01 PM »

I’m not sure either can establish as much of a connection with the public as Laura Bush. I generally prefer a spouse who tries to avoid stirring the pot. That may come across as sexist, but I sincerely hope it does not. I think Laura Bush has been a rather good first lady, in fact. I think Cindy McCain would be the closest to her of the candidates running.  However, while I was never really totally supportive of Hillary when she was first lady, I really, really gained a good deal of respect for her in her time in elective office. I think during this campaign, she was able to project a tough yet maternal sort of energy that I think would really have suited her should she have become president. I don’t see this sort of trait in Michelle Obama. This could certainly change after a few years of her being in the public eye, as it did with Hillary.

But when I think of Laura Bush, I remember one memory. It was 9/11. That same day, she gets on the TV, and tells families to hold their children, reassure them that everything would be okay. And that day, I like to think I was reassured, hearing her soothing voice just  a bit. I’d like to believe we could count on Michelle or Cindy to be able to rally us like our current first lady did, but we’ll have to wait and see. Anyway, I’ll give them both a positive rating for now. Neither has struck me as quite as rude as Kerry’s wife, with her “stuff it” to a reporter during Kerry‘s campaign.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »

Its the first ladies and the Veep selections that I will use to help me judge between the two.  As of right now, and based on my views (neither one of them) my girlfriend's lean (McCain), and to keep peace within the relationship, I may have to vote for McCain myself, but I'm still not sure.

I seriously hope this is a joke.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 08:28:20 PM »

Its the first ladies and the Veep selections that I will use to help me judge between the two.  As of right now, and based on my views (neither one of them) my girlfriend's lean (McCain), and to keep peace within the relationship, I may have to vote for McCain myself, but I'm still not sure.

I seriously hope this is a joke.

Well, it's a joke poster, so...
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 08:34:21 PM »

I'd be honest despite politics about the potential first lady.

I'm being honest when I say Michelle Obama honestly gives off that "powerful wife" vibe that I dislike. Cindy McCain is just kind of on the side lines, while Michelle is being in the spotlight.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:50:55 PM »

First ladies bore me. They should be moved off the stage.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 08:51:53 PM »

I'd be honest despite politics about the potential first lady.

I'm being honest when I say Michelle Obama honestly gives off that "powerful wife" vibe that I dislike. Cindy McCain is just kind of on the side lines, while Michelle is being in the spotlight.

I'll be honest and say I prefer just the opposite.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, first lady should not be used as a criteria for judging Presidential preference.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 08:52:57 PM »

Jeez, have you been living under a rock?  There were the rumors of a racist rant tape a few months ago and it was all over the news, and then it was all over the news that it was not real.  Also there were some passages from a paper she wrote at Princeton that were taken wildly out of context.
If such a tape exists do you really think McCain, or the GOP at least, would let it out until at least October?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 08:54:03 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2008, 08:57:05 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

racist views? her husband is half white and apparently she gets along well with his white grandparents.

If such a tape exists do you really think McCain, or the GOP at least, would let it out until at least October?

there's no such thing as a secret tape in the age of Youtube.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 08:59:37 PM »

I get the "powerful wife" vibe from Michelle, too, and I like that.  She doesn't seem overbearing, just egalitarian and a person unto herself.  I approve.  I found her thesis kind of pedestrian, on the other hand.

Cindy McCain seems to do stuff, but honestly she hasn't done much to interest me yet.  She does seem nice, though.

Both seem reasonably nice, Obama seems more interesting to me.  But I'm not voting based on First Wife.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 09:05:57 PM »

racist views? her husband is half white and apparently she gets along well with his white grandparents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M-kD0QdRJk
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 09:36:19 PM »

If we are mature, we will ignore the bait in the above post. Can we do it?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »

I certainly have no intention of mentioning how one or more Presidential candidates looks like or unlike any particular member of the monkey family.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 09:43:40 PM »

Positive/Negative

Michelle Obama went to Harvard Law School. Cindy McCain inherited lots of money.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »

I certainly have no intention of mentioning how one or more Presidential candidates looks like or unlike any particular member of the monkey family.

That was horrible.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 11:18:59 PM »

those clips show Rev. Wright. They have nothing at all to do with Michelle Obama's views on race, her husband's ancestry, or her white grandparents-in-law.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 11:21:49 PM »

Neutral/Neutral
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 12:14:30 AM »

Michelle Obama seems like Cynthia McKinney on steroids, she seems like someone you'd find on a street corner in the ghetto.

A woman who thinks for herself? God forbid!

No, a better translation is a n****r.  Remember, 'ghetto' is always used by the cagey racist as a code word for the good ole N word.

As for me I couldn't care less about 'first ladies', but I do prefer the ideology of the Democrat one, obviously.  The other one is just a self-serving rich interest.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 12:43:11 AM »

The racism in this thread is digusting.

Positive/Neutral
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 01:26:29 AM »

I started out not having a favorable impression of Laura Bush, so consider that.

I'm actually neutral, but I get the impression she's a real person.  I don't agree with her, but I don't think she's faking it.  It's sort of like, I don't agree with her, but I kind of reminds me of people I know, and like.  That's hard to explain, but I sort of connect with her more than I do with him.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 01:34:41 AM »

Anyone who actually takes first ladies into consideration when voting should not be allowed to vote. Seriously, how much more utterly stupid can you get?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies