I hate our 'opinionated' society.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:00:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  I hate our 'opinionated' society.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I hate our 'opinionated' society.  (Read 3618 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »

Okay. I have something to say now Smiley

I hate living in a world where all debate is permeated by 'opinions'

We live in a world of different opinions, where one opinion stands against another opinion and you know, while facts may stand against it, it's 'just my opinion' so it has some justification and should be taken as a serious point. Bullsh-t. There are facts, fallacies and stances that inform your viewpoint and influence your stated position or opinion. You may have an informed stance or an uninformed stance based on a fact or a fallacy. And when a fact is a fact it is not up for discussion.

So when the fallacy that is held to be true or anecdotal by someone is challenged by hard fact do we get a climbdown? No, it is in human nature to be stubborn even when wrong and I accept that. Instead we get the response 'it's just my opinion' and in democratic society all opinions are of some relevance and should be given some consideration. So instead of throwing a fallacy out of a window because it is proven to be wrong, we try and accommodate it into the democratic dialogue. As such we allow 'opinions' to circulate and influence society even when they are bull.

Why are we so afraid to say; 'Your opinion is wrong'. Or 'your opinion is not valid because it is proven to be wrong', or even 'you are wrong and it affects your opinion so your opinion is not valid.'
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 02:12:36 PM »

Of course.  Most "opinions" have no relevance, justification, accuracy or factual support, and should be treated as garbage, especially when made by certain posters on this site.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 02:22:17 PM »

Indeed. Not allowing people to attack a belief because it's an "opinion" (which literally all beliefs are; some are just much better supported than others) is a disgustingly anti-intellectual practice.

I will admit though that I usually say "if I recall correctly" when giving a factual account to cover myself against any mistakes I might make.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 02:31:23 PM »

Indeed. Not allowing people to attack a belief because it's an "opinion" (which literally all beliefs are; some are just much better supported than others) is a disgustingly anti-intellectual practice.

I will admit though that I usually say "if I recall correctly" when giving a factual account to cover myself against any mistakes I might make.

In other words, perfect for Vander Blubb
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:59:56 PM »

'Facts are not real objects but signifiers in the linguistic order of an argument.' - Roland Barthes
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 01:46:54 PM »

Yes. ...and to top this all off, "facts" really mean nothing on their own. In "fact", they may even be worth less than the "opinions" that are supported by them. The reason why this is so is because most facts and opinions persume that certain goals in our society are unquestioned.

For example, some big-business neo-liberal Republican might tell me that we need to give out tax discounts and cancel social spending (opinion) because it is FACTUALLY proven that rational people will grow the economy more efficienciently and better than government spending. Thing again, there is evidence that counters that fact and also, this person is assuming that I actually want to make the economy bigger. However, as much as I want there to be more money, unless I actually see a dime with it, I just don't care about your opinion because it simply is of no consequence to me. If it is of no consequence to me, why should I care about what you think and why should I have to live with your decisions?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »

especially when made by certain posters on this site.

I'm interested to hear who you think these people are, Sam.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 02:40:01 PM »

Yes. ...and to top this all off, "facts" really mean nothing on their own. In "fact", they may even be worth less than the "opinions" that are supported by them.
In my opinion, that tends to be the case only some of the time. Usually when the opinion supported isn't holding water either, in fact.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 02:40:46 PM »

Well afleitch, you're entitled to your opinion. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »

That's your opinion. In fact, nobody is entitled to an opinion. Damn culture of entitlement.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »

I agree 100%.  No, I'm sorry, but I don't think everyone's opinion should be listened to.  Some people are just stupid and don't base their ideas in facts.  The problem is, "opinionated" people of all stripes now have a microphone like never before.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 02:50:45 PM »

That's your opinion. In fact, nobody is entitled to an opinion. Damn culture of entitlement.

A bunch of elitist commies that hate America is what America is about. Tongue
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 06:07:38 PM »

Smile, nod, and say in an overly friendly tone "I know what mean, I just don't care!"

I remember a kid was getting a lot of crap because he had a confederate flag pinned up in his room.  People here don't take too kindly to confederate slave-owning sympathizers, so they were giving him crap.. his response?  "That's just your opinion.  You don't understand... it means something else where I'm from."

One man's heritage is another man's garbage...

Oh, relativity.. such a wonderful thing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 11:10:29 PM »

Why are we so afraid to say; 'Your opinion is wrong'. Or 'your opinion is not valid because it is proven to be wrong', or even 'you are wrong and it affects your opinion so your opinion is not valid.'
Well there's your problem.  You can't tell someone their opinion is crap.  You need to get past that.  Here, try it on me.

It is my opinion that England is full of people with bad teeth and large noses.  They don't use antiperspirant and the food is garbage warmed up.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 11:31:34 PM »

Well, can you give me some examples? ...and this means what exactly to me? Maybe I like "warmed up garbage" and maybe I will be able to get away with farting more if everyone smells bad.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 04:22:07 AM »

So you weren't entitled to post that either..  Tongue
I was entitled to post that. I'm just not entitled to believe that. Grin
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 08:04:55 AM »

So you weren't entitled to post that either..  Tongue
I was entitled to post that. I'm just not entitled to believe that. Grin

Well that's just your opinion.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 09:07:04 AM »

I'm gonna refer you to my signature on this one.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 10:33:59 AM »

...but what really sucks is that other people's opinions, though you don't have to believe them, may be forced upon you if enough people believe in them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies