Would you eat fried okra and purple-hulled peas with Nelda Burrow?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:45:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you eat fried okra and purple-hulled peas with Nelda Burrow?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: See my sig.
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Would you eat fried okra and purple-hulled peas with Nelda Burrow?  (Read 3955 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 05:59:14 PM »

No, that looks disgusting. I don't like fried okra anyway ever since I had the misfortune of trying it. Also, I don't like to eat with stupid people so that would rule out this Nelda Burrow wench.

You're so smart.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 09:01:56 PM »

I'm not all that fond of fried okra. I'd eat it if I was hungry and it was the only thing to munch on, and it would help if I had some ranch or something else to dip it in, but if there were other options available I'd probably go for them.

As far as the peas, again, not fond, but they look ok for peas/beans or whatever.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2008, 09:13:06 PM »

As far as the peas, again, not fond, but they look ok for peas/beans or whatever.

They're pretty much no different from black eyed peas.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »

Bump with this interesting tidbit I found on Obama's site

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/sangerinde/gG5FPm
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 04:51:41 PM »

I'd give it a try.  I usually avoid okra.  My wife loves it.  It's one of her favorite yankee foods.  Maybe it reminds her of something back in the old country.  And they often put little okra cross-sections in stews in those all-you-can-eat buffets.  Especially on the well-known road between Columbus, Mississippi and the Emerald Coast of Florida.  I've sampled the soups with the okra cross-sections, and I don't honestly care for those little okra cross-sections.  They seem slimy.  Snotty.  And I've seen and tasted pickled okra somewhere.  I think that was when I was working at Columbia and living in that tiny but very expensive apartment on 119th street in Manhattan.  I used to love to travel a few blocks north to Harlem and sample the local foods thereabouts.  Okra was a big hit there.  And grits.  And black-eyed peas.  And in one of those little soul places there was a little bottle of pickled okra on all the tables.  A condiment, I suppose.  I found those okras to be snotty as well.

But I'm thinking that if you fry the okra, then you can't tell if the slimy feeling is from the okra snot, or from the oil, because pretty much all deep-fried foods are slimy.  And it was never the taste of okra that put me off, just the snottiness.  So I'd definitely give the fried okra at Nelda's a try.  I'd try her purple-hull peas too.  They look like black-eyed peas, and I know I like them.  I will eat them with a fox and I will eat them in a box and I will eat them in a train and I will eat them in the rain.  But mostly I will eat them with lots of cayenne pepper and butter and diced onions, and that's the way they give it to you north of 125th street in Manhattan.  I reckon I'd like the purple-hull peas with cayenne pepper as well.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 11:55:57 AM »

Okra is really good when broiled with vinegar and ham hocks. Same with greens.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies