Competitive Districting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:09:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Competitive Districting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Competitive Districting  (Read 1885 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2008, 02:35:41 AM »

Xahar told me that the main reason districts were abolished is because they produced uncompetitive races. As such, I decided to challenge myself by drawing the most competitive districts that I could. This is the result, along with my analysis:

District one, red: 4 SDP, 5 JCP, 2 NLC, 1 RPP, 3 indies, 4 others. SDP v. JCP. Enough center-right indies to play kingmaker or give a serious challenge, even though it's unlikely they'll win.
     District two, blue: 4 JCP, 3 SDP, 4 NLC, 3 RPP, 1 indie, 2 others. JCP v. SDP v. NLC v. RPP. My best one, IMO. All four parties are near parity here.
     District three, green: 2 JCP, 1 SDP, 3 NLC, 4 RPP, 2 indies, 7 others. NLC v. RPP. Both parties are close to parity, with indies & other parties of various positions in the spectrum.
     District four, yellow: 7 NLC, 1 RPP, 1 SDP, 5 indies, 5 others. NLC V. RPP, lean NLC. NLC has a huge registration advantage, but right-wing indies & others help close the gap.
     District five, brown: 3 NLC, 2 SDP, 3 indies, 8 others. SDP v. NLC. Indies & others come in all stripes here, causing a race between the two major parties in this region to be somewhat unpredictable. Enough right-wingers to give a conservative challenger a shot.

What does everybody think?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 02:40:57 AM »

Well, great job.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 04:48:04 AM »

Looks good to me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 04:52:08 AM »

Oops, I forgot to mention that Puerto Rico is in district three. Sorry, Hashemite. Tongue
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »

sometimes new guys do ambitious things to laughable results, but not this time. Nice map.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »

1. Gerrymandering is gerrymandering and gerrymander is totally unacceptable here. Or should be.
2. Regardless, partisan composition is no guarantee of anything here. Your map, while clever in places, wouldn't work as planned.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 06:36:17 PM »

sometimes new guys do ambitious things to laughable results, but not this time. Nice map.

Thank you. Smiley

1. Gerrymandering is gerrymandering and gerrymander is totally unacceptable here. Or should be.
2. Regardless, partisan composition is no guarantee of anything here. Your map, while clever in places, wouldn't work as planned.

1. I didn't mean to imply that gerrymandering should be encouraged. The goal of this map is to show that electoral districts have potential to be competitive.

2. Indeed it is no guarantee of anything, since the people running count for as much & perhaps more than the parties involved. A popular incumbent Senator can easily hold any district, which makes sense. No one would want to run in a district if partisanship meant that no matter how good a Senator you were, you had about a 50/50 shot at surviving re-election.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 08:44:11 PM »

D4 looks interesting.  I'd like to bring the Districts back; see if it works.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »

D4 looks interesting.  I'd like to bring the Districts back; see if it works.

I would like a way to test this map in a controlled environment. Maybe it could be re-districted only once a year to help preserve my sanity. Tongue
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »

I'd like to bring the Districts back; see if it works.

Not going to happen Mr. Lieutenant Governor, proportional representation is here to stay. Unless you go back in a time machine, with Doc Brown thus going back into the future, run for the Senate and hope Colin Wixted isn't elected President. Sadly you don't have the looks of Michael J. Fox to play Marty McFly so that rules you out of contention to do such a thing.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »

I don't want this, I'm beginning to like this PR thing if it gets me a senate seat.

Get back to me in a week and maybe I'll feel differently Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 08:54:13 PM »

Not going to happen Mr. Lieutenant Governor, proportional representation is here to stay. Unless you go back in a time machine, with Doc Brown thus going back into the future, run for the Senate and hope Colin Wixted isn't elected President. Sadly you don't have the looks of Michael J. Fox to play Marty McFly so that rules you out of contention to do such a thing.

How do you know if I look like Michael J. Fox? Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 08:58:23 PM »

Hey, if we get enough people to join Atlasia, we could re-introduce districts alongside PR & regions. Wink I could go for a 15-man Senate if we could find the people to staff it.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »

I know all and I see all. Just like now I'm watching some sexy woman getting undressed right now Tongue. Anywho, Ben I'm kind of like Big Brother figure in George Orwell's classic 1984 or L. Ron Hubbard. No big difference between the two of them, whatsoever.

Hey, if we get enough people to join Atlasia, we could re-introduce districts alongside PR & regions. Wink I could go for a 15-man Senate if we could find the people to staff it.

You have some interesting ideas PiT for a newbie to Atlasia. Atleast your a sensible newbie, unlike Garrison Porter, who once believe we were at war with Canada, believed there is such a nation as Franco and once said:

Global Climate Change-I believe that we need to eliminate global warming because it is a cause of pollution to our country. We need to lower fossil fuels and work with the enviroment that way. I can promise that you will find the global climate to have improved if we follow that action.

I believe you have a bright future in Atlasia young Sir....PiT that is Wink.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 09:39:50 PM »

I know all and I see all. Just like now I'm watching some sexy woman getting undressed right now Tongue. Anywho, Ben I'm kind of like Big Brother figure in George Orwell's classic 1984 or L. Ron Hubbard. No big difference between the two of them, whatsoever.

You have some interesting ideas PiT for a newbie to Atlasia. Atleast your a sensible newbie, unlike Garrison Porter, who once believe we were at war with Canada, believed there is such a nation as Franco and once said:

Global Climate Change-I believe that we need to eliminate global warming because it is a cause of pollution to our country. We need to lower fossil fuels and work with the enviroment that way. I can promise that you will find the global climate to have improved if we follow that action.

I believe you have a bright future in Atlasia young Sir....PiT that is Wink.

Thank you for the compliment. Smiley Anyway, I found about gporter's antics browsing the Atlasia wiki. The quote about global warming is news to me though.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 09:40:21 PM »

A n00b district map that's ILV-approved?  Impossible! Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »

Nice. But doesn't mean people would bother running, though. Or that voters wouldn't cross party lines, or have a Senator with a large personal/crossparty support.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 03:59:41 PM »

I ran in a district that looked very much like the yellow one for a long time while I was in the Senate. I believe I won every election with a complete lack of opposition. If I was in favour of keeping my seat unto the ends of Atlasia, I'd support this, but I do kind of like some competition for things.

Just because you have a party parity doesn't make things competitive. Most of those people could be pretty inactive, or not want to run for office. This would be a complete step backwards.

Also if we get rid of PR that will just cause be to get myself re-elected to the Presidency so I can force through PR again and even more radical reforms that would make DWTL and PiT sh**t their pants in fear.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 06:00:32 PM »

I ran in a district that looked very much like the yellow one for a long time while I was in the Senate. I believe I won every election with a complete lack of opposition. If I was in favour of keeping my seat unto the ends of Atlasia, I'd support this, but I do kind of like some competition for things.

Just because you have a party parity doesn't make things competitive. Most of those people could be pretty inactive, or not want to run for office. This would be a complete step backwards.

Also if we get rid of PR that will just cause be to get myself re-elected to the Presidency so I can force through PR again and even more radical reforms that would make DWTL and PiT sh**t their pants in fear.

I mentioned that district four would probably be less competitive than the other ones. That aside, inactivity is a difficult thing to account for, as is electoral ambition. Nevertheless, a party without a strong GOTV program doesn't deserve to win elections anyway.

Also, I never suggested that we get rid of PR. It has its place in the Senate considering that we don't have a House of Representatives. My goal would be a way to re-introduce districts while keeping Regions & PR. Perhaps if we had three regions, three districts, & four at-large seats, that would work.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 04:03:53 PM »

Gerrymandering implies wacky districts.  These aren't wacky - they're possible districts that the Governors could've come up with.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 06:36:04 AM »

Gerrymandering implies wacky districts.  These aren't wacky - they're possible districts that the Governors could've come up with.

Not necessarily.

Vendée districts don't look wacky.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 10:48:26 AM »

No districts, I have come to love this PR for these elections Smiley

However, regional senate seats must remain in tact
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »

I agree with both these comments.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2008, 11:04:11 PM »

Districts were a regions' rights issue.  Taking that power away from the regions was a TERRIBLE mistake.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies