A Modest Proposal for Social Security and Medicare Reform (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:07:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  A Modest Proposal for Social Security and Medicare Reform (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Modest Proposal for Social Security and Medicare Reform  (Read 3199 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: September 18, 2008, 11:25:05 PM »

In Australia, we have a 9% compulsory superannuation contribution for all employees earning over a certain amount - I think that amount is about $450. It effectively resulted in a 9% pay rise for all employees when it was introduced - so wages didn't increase for a while afterwards (it effectively results in compulsory savings). There may have been some form of business tax cuts or something at the same time as it was introduced, to reduce the burden on business. The Government provides the pension to everyone over the age of, I think 65 (women is 63 I think, although it increases by a year every two years until reaching parity with men), so it forces people to save for their own retirement, but still protects those who don't amass enough savings themselves. I think it's a fairly balanced approach that doesn't disadvantage the poor, while still not burdening the government to the same extent as a straight out pension would.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies