Today, the GOP is the party of the little guy.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:00:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Today, the GOP is the party of the little guy.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Today, the GOP is the party of the little guy.  (Read 4355 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2004, 12:58:19 AM »

Also, do you realize that under a law passed by Congress in 1996, it is a federal crime for any illegal immigrant to attempt to vote in any federal or state election?

A single state like California would include California.

And no, I didn't know the fed decided to violate the Constitution again. Anyway, they're illegal immigrants, so my guess is they don't care too much about the law.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2004, 01:04:06 AM »

Also, do you realize that under a law passed by Congress in 1996, it is a federal crime for any illegal immigrant to attempt to vote in any federal or state election?

A single state like California would include California.

And no, I didn't know the fed decided to violate the Constitution again. Anyway, they're illegal immigrants, so my guess is they don't care too much about the law.

I would actually guess that most illegal immigrants would be much more mindful of breaking the law than American citizens, since even a very minor violation would likely result in deportation for them.  The vast majority of illegals are simply here to try to make a living, not to subvert the American political process or legal system.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2004, 12:47:05 PM »

Yeah, but if they can vote with a driver's license, they're not going to worry about being caught. Anyway, we catch illegals all the time and let them stay here for some insane reason.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2004, 12:03:32 AM »

I think a pro-life maybe even an anti-race based Affirmative Action Democrat could win PA or OH easily.

And on that note, from a column by Terry Mattingly:

For the full column go here:
http://tmatt.gospelcom.net/column/2004/08/25/

Leaders of the Democrats for Life organization are reeling over platform language adopted quietly at the recent Democratic National Convention.

The 2000 platform said Democrats stand "behind the right of every woman to choose, consistent with Roe v. Wade." However, it also said the "Democratic Party is a party of inclusion. We respect the individual conscience of each American on this difficult issue, and we welcome all our members to participate at every level of our party."

The 2004 platform replaces this conscience clause with a statement that Democrats "stand firmly against Republican efforts to undermine" abortion rights.

Democrats for Life director Kristen Day asked: "So what are they saying, that because we want to protect the rights of the unborn our own party says we're automatically Republicans? � This has to be one reason that our party is having trouble appealing to many people in churches."

Flynn is convinced Democrats should start paying closer attention to some symbolic numbers in recent polls. For example, in a Zogby International poll, 43 percent of Democrats agreed that abortion "destroys a human life and is manslaughter." Zogby said 78 percent of Hispanics believe abortions should be outlawed. But a Boston Globe look at Democratic convention delegates found only 2 percent in the "pro-life" camp.

According to the American Spectator, this trend may have helped create another powerful set of numbers. In the 95th Congress, in the late 1970s, Democrats held a 292-seat majority, with 125 Democrats who consistently opposed abortion. Today, in the 108th Congress, Democrats have 206 seats and only 30 consistent anti-abortion votes.

Thus, Democrats for Life pleaded, without success, for a speaker slot in Boston. The Democratic National Committee also has rejected a link to DemocratsForLife.org on the party website. But one Democrat who opposes abortion is poised to make a prime-time convention address. Georgia Sen. Zell Miller is speaking to the Republicans in New York City. Meanwhile, the GOP is marching a parade of pro-abortion-rights speakers before the cameras.

Flynn said traditional Catholics will notice that, too.

Wow, now the Democrats are LESS tolerant and have a smaller tent than the Republicans. Given that there's about as many pro-life Democrats as there are pro-choice Republicans...what the  are the Dems thinking?! This is both arrogant and stupid on their part, but I guess NARAL will brook no dissent in 'their' party...
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2004, 11:39:35 AM »

The Republican Party may be the the party of evangelical Christian blue-collar little guys on social issues but I doubt they best represent their economic interests

Dave
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2004, 08:52:18 PM »

tehehe... I just saw this.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »