This Election Is (Probably) Over
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:34:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  This Election Is (Probably) Over
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: This Election Is (Probably) Over  (Read 23747 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2008, 12:00:41 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, THAT was obviously wrong.

THAT was absolutely right. Just because the surge saved us from embarrassment does not mean it was ever the right decision to go in and in 2004 the situation wasn't even as bad. We could have very possibly ended the war within 2 years if we wanted.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2008, 12:02:04 AM »

I nominate this for quote of the week!

No one is saying that Americans are too dumb to make a decision on the issues, what we are saying is that they are dumb enough to make dumb decisions based on dumb reasons.

Did I get it?

Americans are smart, but sometimes vote for dumb reasons because they fail to vote on the "real issues."  I think that was sbane's point maybe, which of course does not anneal it from further parries and  thrusts. Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2008, 12:04:46 AM »

I nominate this for quote of the week!

No one is saying that Americans are too dumb to make a decision on the issues, what we are saying is that they are dumb enough to make dumb decisions based on dumb reasons.

Did I get it?

Americans are smart, but sometimes vote for dumb reasons because they fail to vote on the "real issues."  I think that was sbane's point maybe, which of course does not anneal it from further parries and  thrusts. Tongue

That was exactly my point. Feel free to parrie and thrust further. Tongue
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2008, 12:07:21 AM »

Are you in charge of the dumbometer this week?

Can't you see that this idea that people who make decisions based on things that you (or liberals...or both and the same) don't consider to be important is "dumb" could be anything other than superior, arrogant, and elitist?
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2008, 12:09:51 AM »

Americans are smart, but not smart enough to identify (and vote based on) the "real issues" as defined of course by liberals.

I got it!

We ain't smart....like liberals.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2008, 12:11:38 AM »

Are you in charge of the dumbometer this week?

Can't you see that this idea that people who make decisions based on things that you (or liberals...or both and the same) don't consider to be important is "dumb" could be anything other than superior, arrogant, and elitist?

I am just calling it what it is. I am not advocating that people should be forced to vote on any certain issue. I just think that voting a certain way for these reasons is dumb and that is just my opinion, since I seem to have misplaced the dumbometer. I mean what do you think of these people who might otherwise have voted for Mccain but will vote for Obama because Mccain is old or not in touch with popular culture/internet. You must have an opinion of these people at least.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2008, 12:13:34 AM »

"I will be voting to give the president of the United States the authority to use force - if necessary - to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security." -- John F. Kerry, Oct 2002

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2008, 12:14:31 AM »

Americans are smart, but not smart enough to identify (and vote based on) the "real issues" as defined of course by liberals.

I got it!

We ain't smart....like liberals.

Dude I am pretty sure we can come to an agreement on what the "real issues" are. I think both of us know that Obama is not a muslim for example. Its not as if I am defining what issue everyone should vote on. Everyone has their own but some are dumb, and I have only been using two examples mostly. I think we can at least agree on those two?( Obama muslim smear and the MCcain  is old issue)
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2008, 12:15:49 AM »

My opinion is that it is their vote, to be cast as they see fit, and based on whatever reason they use to arrive at that decision.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2008, 12:17:17 AM »

My opinion is that it is their vote, to be cast as they see fit, and based on whatever reason they use to arrive at that decision.

Yup keep saying that as long as it benefits your side. One day it won't. I wonder what you will say then.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2008, 12:17:47 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2008, 12:21:28 AM by Torie »

That is why politicians spend so much time hectoring voters about what they claim are  the "real issues"; e.g, is the real issue, radical islamofacism, or health care for all no matter what it costs, or what? And on and on it goes. Defining what are the "real issues" becomes the bulk of the ball game. If you are weak on an issue politically, just try to make it "unreal."

Sbane, I don't think many voters will be voting on the basis that Obama is a "Muslim."  A few more may be voting on the old thing, but still not that many. We may be beating to death a straw man.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2008, 12:45:23 AM »

JS - When I read the thread title, I thought you were going to say the opposite - that the election is pretty much over and that Obama will win.

I was reading on another website about a week-and-a-half ago (and while a week is a long time in politics and I haven't seen or read much in the past week), the article was saying (I think it was on www.electoral-vote.com, but I can't remember for certain) that people had virtually decided on Obama and were now looking for reasons to not vote for him (ie they will vote for him unless they see a reason not to - and this is why a negative campaign is more likely to work).

Anyway, my concern is more that people will end up voting for Obama by default.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2008, 12:46:29 AM »

Sbane, I don't think many voters will be voting on the basis that Obama is a "Muslim."  A few more may be voting on the old thing, but still not that many. We may be beating to death a straw man.

The problem is that this muslim smear affects Obama among people who would otherwise vote for him in southeast OH or western PA. In a close race something like that could make a difference. The old thing doesn't affect Mccain much because that kind of attitude is probably exhibited by a young'un and we all know who they are voting for anyways.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2008, 01:21:59 AM »

Yup keep saying that as long as it benefits your side. One day it won't. I wonder what you will say then.

The same thing I'm saying now.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2008, 01:23:05 AM »

This is long from over...just saying.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2008, 01:28:56 AM »

He may have been at one time, and if he was, and he's lying about it, that would bother me.

Don't politicians who lie about things like that bother you?

Or is a politician lying another of those "dumb" reasons NOT to vote for them?

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2008, 01:44:35 AM »

He may have been at one time, and if he was, and he's lying about it, that would bother me.

I'm not sure, but I have a questionable opinion of Internet posters who do not resource the substance/source of their links.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2008, 01:45:09 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2008, 01:47:46 AM by sbane »

Yeah we all decided it was BS yesterday.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=81002.0
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2008, 05:58:19 PM »

I'm not sure, but I have a questionable opinion of Internet posters who do not resource the substance/source of their links.

The substance is in the eyes of the beholder I guess, the information comes from an Associated Press article, and the Associated Press has confirmed that the picture is authentic.

Having said that, and putting aside the "religion Islam" part of the news, the name on the school registry is Barry Soetoro, an Barry Soetoro was an Indonesian citizen born in Hawaii, who studied the Qu'ran, not The Bible, while studying in Indonesia.

The evidence is mounting up, and Obama will have to explain some things to those "dumb" masses who are feeling less than confident about the man who would be President.

Obama is losing support he once had, and he's doing nothing to correct that.
Luis Gonzalez
Rookie
United States

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2008, 06:01:02 PM »

Yeah we all decided it was BS yesterday.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=81002.0

So, you all decide not only what constitutes a "real issue", but what falls under the definition of BS too?

This is one powerful group of people in this forum.

I hope I can keep up with you all!
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »

Yes the masses are indeed asses.

Wow...the problem with America is that the sans-culotte are not intelligent enough to elect a classic leftist to the office of President.

...and there you have it.

We ain't smart.

Precisely.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2008, 06:36:36 PM »

How is it that people like this Luis guy always seem to say the EXACT same things verbatim when trying to attack the other side?

Is there a book out there that I'm missing?

There is way too much room and intelligence on this forum to constantly try to mimic Rush Limbaugh.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »

You're right, liberals are elitists who have no respect for anyone, which is why we always lose elections. Munch munch, mmm, arugula. Can we move on to talking about interesting stuff, now?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2008, 06:46:39 PM »

I'm not sure why you came in here with guns a-blazing, really. This isn't the McLaughlin group, by and large.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2008, 02:21:55 AM »

I'm not sure why you came in here with guns a-blazing, really. This isn't the McLaughlin group, by and large.

Yeah, he should roll over and play dead here in the echo chamber.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies