This Election Is (Probably) Over
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:07:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  This Election Is (Probably) Over
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: This Election Is (Probably) Over  (Read 23737 times)
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2008, 10:15:30 PM »

Two --  Make an issue of something fundamentalist Christians and Evangelicals felt they could not ignore in several key states.  (Here, I failed to recognize the impressive trend among emerging churches and post-conservative evangelicals.  I thought it was too much to hope for...but evidently, balanced thinking is getting a fair hearing.  Either that or they just stayed home.)

The wingnut fundies stayed home. Especially in Ohio.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2008, 12:39:22 AM »

Hey, remember some of the stuff Democrats were saying about Bob Casey in the first half of 2006?

No, but I remember Phil saying that Santorum was going to win in the week or two before the election. Also remember Mitty saying the same thing.

LOL YA HE IS 2 STOOPID!
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2008, 06:30:04 AM »

Iam getting the feeling that America made the wrong choice for president.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2008, 06:35:06 AM »

Good that you're able to make that decision before the 44th president has even taken office....
MR maverick
MR politics
United States

« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2008, 06:41:39 AM »

Good that you're able to make that decision before the 44th president has even taken office....

Iam not the only one who feels that way about President -elect Barack OClintion.

Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2008, 06:44:28 AM »

Even better, he made the decision before Obama even named his cabinet and he's already calling him Barack OClinton lol
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2008, 10:59:45 AM »

This is what I, the more seasoned analysis saw wrong with those:

One --  convince the voters of outright lies about Obama (as was done with Kerry) using a 527 ad blitz funded by mega-millionaires committed to the Democrats' defeat

First, legally a candidate can't "use" 527s, period. And the main difference between Obama and Kerry was Obama had proven that he could respond to smears (as he did in the primary). Kerry didn't do as well. Obama is simply the better responder, something the Democrats improved greatly on in 2006 as well.

Two --  Make an issue of something fundamentalist Christians and Evangelicals felt they could not ignore in several key states.  (Here, I failed to recognize the impressive trend among emerging churches and post-conservative evangelicals.  I thought it was too much to hope for...but evidently, balanced thinking is getting a fair hearing.  Either that or they just stayed home.)

This was never going to happen, period. Fundie turnout maxed out with Bush in 2004. McCain could never top that, they'd never love him as much as Bush, especially with the environment so different. It'd be like a future white Democratic candidate trying to top Obama's black turnout. Not going to happen.

Three --  Take advantage of race.  First, nothing makes me so happy as to say this did not occur.  People were not afraid of the black male, thank God.  But I also am so happy to report there seems to be no evidence that John McCain wanted to go there.  He does not have a racist bone in his body. Undoubtedly, being targeted by a racist smear generated by the Bush folks in 2000 was a factor in making such tactics distasteful.  The other factor being John McCains unswerving common decency.

He didn't go there because it couldn't work. How can you run an "Obama is black" ad without backlash? The racists were going to vote McCain anyway. Luckily there just wasn't enough of them, and they were all rather concentrated.

Right on all three counts, BRTD.  I suspect my defeatism is somewhat stoked by living in Indiana, in what is arguably the most conservative and fundamentalist area of the state.  (not in a suburb though!) Even so, I have to admit -- on election day -- my polling station was packed like never before.  Maybe the silent majority isn't so silent anymore.  We can only hope.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2008, 11:00:40 AM »

JSojourner, you still owe us beers. I'm not letting you forget it buddy! Wink
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2008, 11:15:11 AM »

Whenever you guys are in Fort Wayne, the beers are on me.  Don't all come at once.  And no strip clubs....
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »

Whenever you guys are in Fort Wayne, the beers are on me.  Don't all come at once.  And no strip clubs....

Sounds good. I'll be sure to let you know if I'm ever in town. Smiley
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2008, 11:35:58 AM »

You're no fun!
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2008, 07:43:25 AM »

This Luis fellow is a moron. Dips*ts who vote based on "elitism" are, in fact, populist tools, possessed of the singular urge to center themselves at the swirling vortex of all things when they are cursed either through their genetic deficiencies or intellectual failings to never attain it. It's not really a surprise that it's the usual offenders - Southerners, the poor, the 'unfortunate' - who fall prey to such an inferior mode of thought.

And why? Because they are, in fact, inferior; it is in their makeup to remain inferior; they define the outer boundaries of possible 'equality'. They are scum and ought to be annihilated, but barring this, they must be routed time and again in the quest for political power.
WillK

« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2008, 08:07:13 AM »

Yup, in 2000 and in 2004. 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #163 on: January 01, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »

Yup, in 2000 and in 2004. 

They made the right choice in 2000, but the people's choice doesn't always win the election. Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #164 on: January 01, 2009, 12:31:54 PM »

Ah, I remember that dumbass now. I wouldn't be surprised if he left because I kept hassling him because of that mind-numbingly moronic comment he made about Obama and West Virginia.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies