NYT details Obama VP rollout plans; names Bayh, Biden, and Kaine as top choices
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:36:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  NYT details Obama VP rollout plans; names Bayh, Biden, and Kaine as top choices
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NYT details Obama VP rollout plans; names Bayh, Biden, and Kaine as top choices  (Read 84035 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:58:13 PM »

Some of this was already leaked by Drudge, but this goes into more detail:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/us/politics/19veep.html?_r=2&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:00:49 PM »

Oh jeez. Pick someone safe, go to Hawaii for a week, don't respond to attacks. I thought this Axelrod guy was supposed to be some sort of genius?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:11:01 PM »

Please don't pick Biden. The one thing that makes the VP a liability is foot-in-mouth disease which Biden sadly enough seems to be tainted with. Bayh seems like a good choice to me (though I really would have liked Warner or Sebelius).
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:12:51 PM »

Kaine and Bayh are great choices, that being said PLEASE pick Biden

PLEASE
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »

Please pick Kaine. We need another inexperienced guy to complement Obama.

Bayh would be the best of the three.
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 09:17:32 PM »

It will be Hillary, IMO.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 09:19:05 PM »

Biden is obviously the best.  Bayh and Kaine not so good, in that order.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »

Biden would be tremendous.  Bayh would be above average, but why settle?  Kaine adds nothing but more inexperience to the ticket.  I don't mean that as a slam against Kaine.  But a one term governor?  That's what Dubya was...

I am still crossing my fingers and hoping for either Biden or a smashingly successful surprise pick. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:55:26 PM »

Biden is the best of these 3. There are some things I don't like about him, for example his support of the credit card industry, but he's not as conservative as Kaine, and Bayh is a flat out conservative. Unscripted speaking from the heart appeals to me more than media crafted sound bites, anyways.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:58:22 PM »

So we either have:

1. Biden - Gaffe Machine
2. Bayh - Boring and "nice"
3. Kaine - Inexperienced
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »

So we either have:

1. Biden - Gaffe Machine
2. Bayh - Boring and "nice"
3. Kaine - Inexperienced

Please list Biden's many gaffes.

I couldn't agree more about the other two.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 10:13:07 PM »

I'm still holding out hope on Mike Easley.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 10:17:58 PM »

Biden would be tremendous.  Bayh would be above average, but why settle?  Kaine adds nothing but more inexperience to the ticket.  I don't mean that as a slam against Kaine.  But a one term governor?  That's what Dubya was...

I am still crossing my fingers and hoping for either Biden or a smashingly successful surprise pick. 

Bush had been Governor for twice as long as Kaine, but I get your point.

You rate Bayh too high.  Trust me on this one.  Both Bayh and Kaine are below average, Biden is above average.  Smiley
Firefly
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.83

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 10:23:48 PM »

I think this is a feint.  The article even says that the information was leaked by Obama aides.  The article goes on and on about how great a job Obama has done keeping the whole process a secret, such as working with potential choices on the campaign trail instead of inviting them for meetings and using the internet to research candidates without anyone else knowing.  Then they go and release the top three names right before the final choice?  To me, this is a good indication that the choice is NOT Biden, Bayh, or Kaine.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 10:28:10 PM »

You rate Bayh too high.  Trust me on this one.  Both Bayh and Kaine are below average, Biden is above average.  Smiley

Sam, Bayh may well be a below average choice and/or candidate.  But in terms of how he has done his job(s) over the years -- he's above average.  Now, will that necessarily translate into being a good Vice President?  Maybe not.  But he was an outstanding Governor.

As to Kaine, if he could serve two terms, he might just have "the stuff".  He's done some good things and some not-so-good things but he simply hasn't put in enough time in the minor leagues.  No need for a call-up this early.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 10:30:23 PM »

Kaine only fits with the other two if he wants to double down on the youth thing.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:29 PM »

Sam, Bayh may well be a below average choice and/or candidate.  But in terms of how he has done his job(s) over the years -- he's above average.  Now, will that necessarily translate into being a good Vice President?  Maybe not.  But he was an outstanding Governor.

I don't disagree with any of your comments - but for VP, no - he's far from the best choice.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »

As to Kaine, if he could serve two terms, he might just have "the stuff".  He's done some good things and some not-so-good things but he simply hasn't put in enough time in the minor leagues.  No need for a call-up this early.

He has done a much more job than his daddy. As Senator, he pushed hard for the Iraq war resolution so that Bush could warmonger. He served as chair of the DLC during perhaps their 4 worst years. I think Bayh is only mentioned to try to make some other horrible choices look good in comparison. Obama needs someone reasonable to liberals; he's thrown us under a bus already enough for the next 8 years.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 10:35:58 PM »

Biden...That's who I've wanted and predicted since the beginning. I'd be very happy with him. Bayh... hell no. Kaine... I'd be neutral.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 10:48:48 PM »

I disagree with him on almost everything, but Biden would be my choice out of these three. I may be in the minority on this, but I think he carries this likeability about him that most other politicians lack. He also seems more authentic to me then either Bayh Or Kaine. I heard today on Hannity though (Consider the source) That Obama was leaning towards Biden but Michelle objected and told him to go with someone he was more comfortable with. I doubt it, but who knows?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 01:10:47 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
skoods
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 01:20:40 AM »

I want Hillary or Bayh...Biden would be okay. PLEASE NO KAINE!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 01:23:16 AM »

I bet it won't be any of the three. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if it was someone we haven't heard about at all.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 01:29:34 AM »

Out of three, I think Bayh is the best choice and whom I would place my money on. Biden suffers from foot-in-mouth disease and contradicts the 'change' message, and Kaine is simply too inexperienced. Bayh may not be much of a Washington outsider, but at 52, still allow Obama to make the generational argument while bringing experience to the ticket.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 11:22:56 AM »

I don't disagree with any of your comments - but for VP, no - he's far from the best choice.

I totally agree.  Basically, if Obama wins...it's a lost Senate seat and a competent, but unspectacular number two.  If Obama loses, it's particularly safe, unimaginative pick.  Biden is substantially better.  And I still think Sam Nunn is, too.  But no one thinks that will go anywhere.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies