NYT details Obama VP rollout plans; names Bayh, Biden, and Kaine as top choices (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:54:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  NYT details Obama VP rollout plans; names Bayh, Biden, and Kaine as top choices (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYT details Obama VP rollout plans; names Bayh, Biden, and Kaine as top choices  (Read 84124 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: August 18, 2008, 09:41:00 PM »

Biden is obviously the best.  Bayh and Kaine not so good, in that order.

Biden would be tremendous.  Bayh would be above average, but why settle?  Kaine adds nothing but more inexperience to the ticket.  I don't mean that as a slam against Kaine.  But a one term governor?  That's what Dubya was...

I am still crossing my fingers and hoping for either Biden or a smashingly successful surprise pick. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »

So we either have:

1. Biden - Gaffe Machine
2. Bayh - Boring and "nice"
3. Kaine - Inexperienced

Please list Biden's many gaffes.

I couldn't agree more about the other two.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:28:10 PM »

Biden would be tremendous.  Bayh would be above average, but why settle?  Kaine adds nothing but more inexperience to the ticket.  I don't mean that as a slam against Kaine.  But a one term governor?  That's what Dubya was...

I am still crossing my fingers and hoping for either Biden or a smashingly successful surprise pick. 

Bush had been Governor for twice as long as Kaine, but I get your point.

You rate Bayh too high.  Trust me on this one.  Both Bayh and Kaine are below average, Biden is above average.  Smiley

Sam, Bayh may well be a below average choice and/or candidate.  But in terms of how he has done his job(s) over the years -- he's above average.  Now, will that necessarily translate into being a good Vice President?  Maybe not.  But he was an outstanding Governor.

As to Kaine, if he could serve two terms, he might just have "the stuff".  He's done some good things and some not-so-good things but he simply hasn't put in enough time in the minor leagues.  No need for a call-up this early.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:22:56 AM »

Bush had been Governor for twice as long as Kaine, but I get your point.

You rate Bayh too high.  Trust me on this one.  Both Bayh and Kaine are below average, Biden is above average.  Smiley

Sam, Bayh may well be a below average choice and/or candidate.  But in terms of how he has done his job(s) over the years -- he's above average.  Now, will that necessarily translate into being a good Vice President?  Maybe not.  But he was an outstanding Governor.

I don't disagree with any of your comments - but for VP, no - he's far from the best choice.

I totally agree.  Basically, if Obama wins...it's a lost Senate seat and a competent, but unspectacular number two.  If Obama loses, it's particularly safe, unimaginative pick.  Biden is substantially better.  And I still think Sam Nunn is, too.  But no one thinks that will go anywhere.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »

As to Kaine, if he could serve two terms, he might just have "the stuff".  He's done some good things and some not-so-good things but he simply hasn't put in enough time in the minor leagues.  No need for a call-up this early.

He has done a much more job than his daddy. As Senator, he pushed hard for the Iraq war resolution so that Bush could warmonger. He served as chair of the DLC during perhaps their 4 worst years. I think Bayh is only mentioned to try to make some other horrible choices look good in comparison. Obama needs someone reasonable to liberals; he's thrown us under a bus already enough for the next 8 years.

Preaching to the choir, with me.  I like Bayh personally.  And he was an effective Governor.  But he's far, far too conservative for me.  And frankly, Indiana's other Senator has been more critical (though still supportive) of the Iraq debacle.  And Lugar is a conservative Republican.

Bayh's problem, like so many other pols, is that they are in states where re-election would be impossible without a substantially conservative voting record. Ben Nelson, Mark Pryor, Mary Landrieu and a number of house members might well have more moderate voting records...but they know that would spell defeat.

Yeah, Birch was great.  Those were the days.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies